Beware of Google Search, Chrome and Safari

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Beware of Google Search, Chrome and Safari
« on: 2 Nov 2018, 04:10 am »
Firefox is concerned about security and privacy and offer free software protection along with Microsoft (W Defender).

But this week when doing search I started receive a Google Search request to inform my location not less, they already have my IP, what they will ask after? my bank account password!
Update your location on Google
When you search on Google, we use your location to help you show the most relevant search results. For example, if you are in Rio de Janeiro and searching restaurants, you will see those that are nearby.

AndroidiPhone and iPad computer
Google automatically detects your computer's location using the IP address, Location History (if enabled), and the recent places you've searched for.

Check and update your location
If you are using a browser like Chrome or Safari, you can view it directly from a search results page.

On the computer, do a search on Google.
    Scroll to the bottom of the search results page. You will see your site.
    To update your location, click Use Accurate Location or Update Location.
    If you're asked to share your device's location with Google, click Allow.

Troubleshoot location issues
If your location is unavailable, incorrect, or if you see an error:

Make sure you have a good internet connection.
    If you're using the browser, such as Safari or Chrome, update it.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Beware of Google Search, Chrome and Safari
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2018, 02:48 pm »
Just say no. Why is it a problem if they LET YOU SAY NO?
It would be a problem, (and is since they take it anyway) is when they take it anyway, and never tell you.
And since all the big companies do that ... YOU are screwed already. Why is one more arrow gonna matter when you already full of dozens of arrows?
Why worry the NSA or whoever is taking all your info? or Google? or whoever. They already have you.100% have you.The ONLY thing they don't know is that hair growing out of the mole on your arse. But since I mentioned, now that too is cataloged and filed away forever.
GOOD LUCK.
They already know everything.  :o so why worry???

randytsuch

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2018, 06:00 pm »
They already know everything.  :o so why worry???

Sometimes there's a fine line with Google being helpful and creepy  :/

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2018, 03:43 am »
Google is not even close to creepy, if you have a smart phone (I don't) then you are done for...

"Pass a billboard while driving in the next few months, and there is a good chance the company that owns it will know you were there and what you did afterward.
Clear Channel Outdoor Americas, which has tens of thousands of billboards across the United States, will announce on Monday that it has partnered with several companies, including AT&T, to track people’s travel patterns and behaviors through their mobile phones.
By aggregating the trove of data from these companies, Clear Channel Outdoor hopes to provide advertisers with detailed information about the people who pass its billboards to help them plan more effective, targeted campaigns."

See That Billboard? It May See You, Too
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/29/business/media/see-that-billboard-it-may-see-you-too.html

This is just the tip of the digital iceberg.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2018, 04:04 am »
to track people’s travel patterns and behaviors through their mobile phones.
By what you said this is safe, what G want is the one full street address to associate with the PC processor id and IP.

zoom25

« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2018, 04:26 am »
Off topic post, but is everyone else also getting messages on desktop browsers showing 'Audiocircle.com' as unsecure. It gives a warning splash page. It happens on all my Macbook Pros and iMac. I was out in the mall and decided to check on a random computer and it still showed the same thing. So it's clearly not isolated to just me. However, iPads and iPhones don't give any warning.

It'd be good to have this cleared up with an administrator. I'm not sure if this has been brought up before or where the place to report this issue would be.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 3 Nov 2018, 04:34 am »
Off topic post, but is everyone else also getting messages on desktop browsers showing 'Audiocircle.com' as unsecure. It gives a warning splash page. It happens on all my Macbook Pros and iMac. I was out in the mall and decided to check on a random computer and it still showed the same thing. So it's clearly not isolated to just me. However, iPads and iPhones don't give any warning.

It'd be good to have this cleared up with an administrator. I'm not sure if this has been brought up before or where the place to report this issue would be.
You can report on Bug Report Circle, but I suggest you dont as its clearly unsecure connection not AC.com as your other devices show, I think AC is full compatible with PC machines.

zoom25

« Reply #7 on: 3 Nov 2018, 08:05 am »
This happened specifically when typing in "Audiocircle.com" without anything else. It didn't happen with any other pages of Audiocircle.

Again, this wasn't something specific to my computers or home network. Yesterday, I was at both the Apple and Microsoft store and all these laptops displayed the same thing. On the various Windows machines, I was using Edge.

At the moment, "audiocircle.com" seems to be working correctly on both my MacBook Pro (Mojave) and iMac (High Sierra) with Safari. However, Chrome gives problem on both machines.

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like on Chrome:

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #8 on: 3 Nov 2018, 02:56 pm »
It happened to me many times.  I found inserting https://www. in front of audiocircle dot com solved the problem.  But makes me wonder about the security of this site, however I admit I know very little about such things.

ServerAdmin

« Reply #9 on: 3 Nov 2018, 03:23 pm »
Right.

Should be sorted now. (For those interested, the address audiocircle.com immediately redirects to www.audiocircle.com. The SSL certificate, however, was only set up for the latter, so people who typed in the former address in a browser that hadn't yet cached the redirect were getting a histrionic and fairly meaningless message about having their credit card info and shit stolen.)

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 3 Nov 2018, 04:33 pm »
what G want is the one full street address to associate with the PC processor id and IP.

Google is just double checking to make sure the address you type in matches what they already have. I use Google Maps and it has both my home and shop address, I wouldn't be able to get directions if it didn't. If you ever bought anything using the internet (IP now on file) and had it shipped to your home address (cross referenced to the IP) then your info is already out there in the wild (and sold).
Here in the US names and address's are also available through public property tax records and voter roles. Facebook knows your shopping habits and friends, and their friends all the way to Kevin Bacon. Millennial's are probably unaware that everyone's names with addresses and phone numbers used to be printed in a "phone book". Privacy is an illusion.

Many websites don't work with Tor browser so that's not a viable option either.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 3 Nov 2018, 05:31 pm »
Well here address/name is not public and paper phone books dont exist anymore, but tele marketing sales phone calls are usual from monday to friday.

WGH

« Reply #12 on: 3 Nov 2018, 06:07 pm »
Does anyone in your country use an anonymous VPN? A friend uses one to access TV streaming services in Great Britain which are not accessible with a US IP address.
Not too expensive at $60 - $100 per year.

The Best VPN services for 2018
https://www.cnet.com/news/best-vpn-services-2016-directory/

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 3 Nov 2018, 06:11 pm »
I believe not due the cost, IPV4 is anonymous and proxy is free.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #14 on: 4 Nov 2018, 03:09 am »
This happened specifically when typing in "Audiocircle.com" without anything else. It didn't happen with any other pages of Audiocircle.

Again, this wasn't something specific to my computers or home network. Yesterday, I was at both the Apple and Microsoft store and all these laptops displayed the same thing. On the various Windows machines, I was using Edge.

At the moment, "audiocircle.com" seems to be working correctly on both my MacBook Pro (Mojave) and iMac (High Sierra) with Safari. However, Chrome gives problem on both machines.

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like on Chrome:

I ran into the same window when I tried to log into audiocircle.com now I enter audio circle on the search bar. It takes me to this site so I can talk to my audio Buds. Don't know what the problem is and I don't care. I'd really be PISSED!! if I could not get on this site.

Cheers
                                                                 Charlie

charmerci

« Reply #15 on: 4 Nov 2018, 08:34 pm »
  I ran into the same window when I tried to log into audiocircle.com now I enter audio circle on the search bar. It takes me to this site so I can talk to my audio Buds. Don't know what the problem is and I don't care. I'd really be PISSED!! if I could not get on this site.

Cheers
                                                                 Charlie

A simple www.audiocircle.com will get around that.