Sennheiser hc580 & hd6xx Amplifier Pairings

BluShady

Sennheiser hc580 & hd6xx Amplifier Pairings
« on: 12 Feb 2024, 02:22 am »
Hello there all!

I own a few sennheiser headphones and am new to this community. I always like to ask when I join a new forum in the audio scene what people like to run when they use sennheiser headphones because I always get tons of different responses from budget to mindblowingly expensive with everything inbetween.

I have run my own personal sennheisers with a Dynaco ST70 tube amplifier, a Schiit magni/modi stack, and an adcom GFA-5400 with a Nakamichi CA-5 behind it.

Curious to see everyones favorite pairings here! I know I most enjoyed a tube amplifier behind mine personally.

- Simon

elwappo99

Re: Sennheiser hc580 & hd6xx Amplifier Pairings
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2024, 04:37 am »
Sennheisers really sing on tube amps. A cheap OTL brings these to a higher level.

Sam-fi

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2024, 04:19 am »
Sennheiser hd600 series require some current and sound terrible on amps that can't deliver that. They match pretty well with a lot of amps.
They do well with amplification that have bright and lively signatures and amps that can deliver some power. Also amps with large soundstages work well to help open them up. But I can honestly say I have enjoyed my sennheiser hd600s with most amps and they do well with gear many times their price, they keep improving with every improvement to the front end.
Tubes are a great match. Solid state is good too.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2024, 04:44 am »
I use a Auralic Taurus MKII that I drive my Senn HD800S with. The HD800S are the same impedence as the headphones you mentioned. Love that amplifier, powerful at 2W into 300 ohms. The amp is discontinued and can be found for a reasonable price on the used market.  https://www.head-fi.org/threads/auralic-owners-unite.657266/