Foobar appearance

Brucemck

Foobar appearance
« on: 14 Oct 2006, 03:48 pm »

Managed to get Off Ramp Turbo 2 working.  Not yet burned in, but sounds great at first blush.

Would appreciate some advice on EAC and FooBar

I've loaded the EAC and Foobar that came with the Off Ramp.

My questions:

Is there a "recommended setting" for how to name files when extracting via EAC?

Is there a "recommended plug in" or something similar to change the basic appearance of FooBar?

User forums for both aren't much help. 

All I want is to easily extract via EAC, and then go to Foobar where title, artist, year, genre, etc show up in Foobar.  Doesn't have to be nearly as slick as iTunes.  Don't need album art, etc.

What I get now is a generic list of titles, without all the associated information EAC seemed to have.

Thanks.

audioengr

Re: Foobar appearance
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2006, 06:22 pm »
I believe that "columns UI" is the most popular plug-in.  If you search this, you should find it:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?s=f31d964dfde1077e84c315f11f41a734&showforum=28

As for naming, I dont have much experience here.  I know you can retrieve the song data using EAC, but transferring this to Foobar I'm not familiar with.  I dont have that many tracks, so I keep it simple.  I dont even get the FREEDB data.

Steve N.

Jon L

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2006, 06:38 pm »
I use Flac to store songs into Flac at the same time I rip with EAC.

First you download Flac program at Flac website via Google search.

EAC->compression options->external compression

Check box called "use external progran for compression," then type in under extension, ".flac" 

Under "program," type in or search for C:\Program Files\FLAC\flac.exe

Under "Additional command options," copy and paste this
-6 -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

This should store your files all sorted out via title/artist/album/tracknumber, etc, automatically into Flac files.

Brucemck

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2006, 09:04 pm »
Jon L ...

Have gotten EAC to save a FLAC file (thanks!) ... but it is compressing the file.  I'd like it to be lossless, so that I get the best sound possible out of the Off Ramp.  (Only option under compress is 320 and poorer.)

How to get the information tags organized and still be lossless?

Thanks

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2006, 09:07 pm »
Jon L ...

Have gotten EAC to save a FLAC file (thanks!) ... but it is compressing the file.  I'd like it to be lossless, so that I get the best sound possible out of the Off Ramp.  (Only option under compress is 320 and poorer.)

How to get the information tags organized and still be lossless?

Thanks

FLAC is lossless compression. 

George

BradJudy

« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2006, 10:42 pm »
I've recently started playing with FLAC and I'm curious what folks are doing to get both FLAC for lossless/archive and mp3 for portable use.  Are you transcoding?  If so, what do you use for bulk transcoding that preserves directory structure and tags.  Are you creating both FLAC and mp3 at the time of ripping?  If so, with what? 

I did some poking around and it looks like there are scripts that can be used as the external decoder that will create both FLAC and mp3 during the rip, but I haven't had a chance to play with them. 

Brucemck

« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2006, 02:07 am »

Thank you.   The files are lossless.  The confusing part is that the program askis for a bit rate via a drop down menu where best choice is 320, but then ignores that. 

ehart

« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2006, 03:37 am »
I don't yet own an MP3 player, so my approach is going to be to find one that plays FLAC files.  No MP3 for me.

robert1325

« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2006, 08:59 am »
everything you need is in here : http://users.pandora.be/satcp/eac-qs-en.htm

You can save the presets for flac and mp3,   it's very easy to load them again 8)

BradJudy

« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2006, 02:23 pm »
I don't yet own an MP3 player, so my approach is going to be to find one that plays FLAC files.  No MP3 for me.

There are very few portable players that can play FLAC.  The Cowan players can play FLAC (as can players capable of running RockBox like my iRiver H120), but keep in mind that you'll want to pick up a rather large one since FLAC albums are ~4x larger than mp3 counterparts.  Personally, I don't see a point in going that far with a portable player - even with nice earphones, there's too much ambient noise to tell the difference between lossless and decent mp3.  I'd rather have a greater selection of music available, but to each their own.

Robert - that's a nice EAC tutorial.  It doesn't cover FLAC and MP3 at the same time since EAC can't do it alone.  I'm looking at using REACT (an application that you use as the external compressor with EAC that can be configured to launch multiple other tasks) to encode FLAC and MP3 in the same rip. 

audioengr

« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2006, 05:40 pm »
You may want to consider Jriver player.  See this post:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/15923.html