Considering Omega...

rebbi

Re: Considering Omega...
« Reply #40 on: 3 May 2015, 02:57 pm »
I would consider the super 7 mk2 or the super 3xrs + 8' omega sub.   i find  the 2.1 setup  most enjoyable  for home theater.    I perfer the 45 or 2A3 tube over the 300b.   Plenty of inexpensive set amps on Audiogon to pick from.   the super 3xrs replaced my Green Mountain Audio Rio's a couple years ago.  It was a leap of faith but Louis's insight has never disappointed me.  Single driver speakers can be a bit addictive.

Dwight

happyrabbit,
Interesting that you had GMA Rio's. I had them briefly, too. Thought that with the whole "time coherent" thing they'd float my boat, but they never did.

rebbi

« Reply #41 on: 11 May 2015, 02:05 am »
Still out here, still considering.   :lol:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #42 on: 11 May 2015, 02:16 am »
Hello, Rebbi.

CanadaRob is welcome to fill in details that I may leave out, but I did visit him on May 5th and got to listen to the Alnico, 7s, and 3i speakers. All three models were monitors. Apparently, all three were very new and had not yet broken in, so I don't actually know how they might sound once they're properly broken in.

Anyway, for my purposes, my ears, and my room size (and WAF size), the 3i was the clear winner for me. Sure, I'll pair one or more subwoofers to it to fill out the low end, but it won the contest that night. I was really surprised to see just how big the Alnico monitors are - they're HUGE!

Of course, YMMV, but this was what I came away with.

Michael

rebbi

« Reply #43 on: 11 May 2015, 02:24 am »
Hello, Rebbi.

CanadaRob is welcome to fill in details that I may leave out, but I did visit him on May 5th and got to listen to the Alnico, 7s, and 3i speakers. All three models were monitors. Apparently, all three were very new and had not yet broken in, so I don't actually know how they might sound once they're properly broken in.

Anyway, for my purposes, my ears, and my room size (and WAF size), the 3i was the clear winner for me. Sure, I'll pair one or more subwoofers to it to fill out the low end, but it won the contest that night. I was really surprised to see just how big the Alnico monitors are - they're HUGE!

Of course, YMMV, but this was what I came away with.

Michael

Interesting, Michael. How large a room would you be using them in? What kind of amplification? I have a feeling that the Alnico monitors might be a stretch for me. I only have a pair of 24" stands; good ones, but they'd probably be way too tall for such big monitors. Interesting to me that you preferred the 3's to the 7's!
Thanks for the info!

mresseguie

« Reply #44 on: 11 May 2015, 03:31 am »
Currently, I listen to most of my music in a near-field setup in my home office. The 3i are ideal for this (IMHO). The 7s sounded thin, lacked bass, and there wasn't much of a sound stage. [I'll explain some things that influenced my listening experience for each speaker.]

The Alnicos were driven by a Decware tube amp with a Resonessence Concero DAC.
The 7s were powered by an inexpensive class D amp (don't recall which one) with the smallest/weakest Resonessence portable DAC. The 7s were not positioned correctly, so they did not sound their best.
The 3s were on a desk in a near-field setup. It seems to me another class D amp powered them. I don't recall the DAC.

My main system is an AVA 400R Fet valve amp, AVA T8 tube preamp, Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus, computer as source, and occasionally an old Sony TT. The 400R is overkill for any of the Omega speakers. I purchased the 400R last year when I fully expected to buy a big, not-so-efficient pair of speakers. It turns out I'm not likely to buy those speakers.

Gotta go for now.

Michael

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #45 on: 11 May 2015, 03:41 am »
Full range drivers perform better around mid frequencies,bass and treble are compromises... :green:

DBC

« Reply #46 on: 11 May 2015, 04:05 am »
Full range drivers perform better around mid frequencies,bass and treble are compromises... :green:

G Georgopoulos, Interesting observation. I have the Omega 6 Monitors driven with a Decware amp and find no weakness in the upper frequencies. The highs actually sound better than multi-way speakers I have owned in the past. Which Omega's do you own and what amp are you driving them with ???

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #47 on: 11 May 2015, 04:14 am »

The RS5 drivers have better highs than a great majority of dedicated tweeters. IMO they are up there with the best beryllium domes and ribbons although the extension isn't as high they are very neutral and detailed. Most speakers are compromised in bass to some extent, that's why we have subwoofers. :)

davidflas

« Reply #48 on: 11 May 2015, 11:49 am »
I too am considering Omega, so much so that I sent an e-mail to Louis on Saturday with intent to buy a pair of 3i monitors.  I plan to use them in my computer audio system where they will be replacing a pair of Pioneer sp-bs22lr speakers. I recently upgraded the rest of my desktop system, and felt that I might be leaving a lot of SQ on the table by using entry level speakers.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #49 on: 11 May 2015, 12:36 pm »
G Georgopoulos, Interesting observation. I have the Omega 6 Monitors driven with a Decware amp and find no weakness in the upper frequencies. The highs actually sound better than multi-way speakers I have owned in the past. Which Omega's do you own and what amp are you driving them with ???

Most audiophiles don't recognize how low/high of frequencies they listen to (or how loud of levels they listen).

Many older ears can't hear 15,000 Hz and many single driver fans have acclimated to lack of deep bass.

Years ago I took my big single driver speakers (F3 about 27 Hz) to a small audiofest of single driver enthusiasts and nearly all were gobsmacked by the bass (I actually got the impression that they didn't like it and felt that it wasn't "right").  At a similar gathering the big built-in subs kept getting turned down/off.  With tiny SET amps it's no wonder acclimation would happen (as bass takes much more energy to produce).  Note that even the huge Klipschorns (designed decades ago to complement SETs) that use room corners to complete their design, are only rated down to 40 Hz. 

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #50 on: 11 May 2015, 03:56 pm »
Currently, I listen to most of my music in a near-field setup in my home office. The 3i are ideal for this (IMHO). The 7s sounded thin, lacked bass, and there wasn't much of a sound stage. [I'll explain some things that influenced my listening experience for each speaker.]

The Alnicos were driven by a Decware tube amp with a Resonessence Concero DAC.
The 7s were powered by an inexpensive class D amp (don't recall which one) with the smallest/weakest Resonessence portable DAC. The 7s were not positioned correctly, so they did not sound their best.
The 3s were on a desk in a near-field setup. It seems to me another class D amp powered them. I don't recall the DAC.

My main system is an AVA 400R Fet valve amp, AVA T8 tube preamp, Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus, computer as source, and occasionally an old Sony TT. The 400R is overkill for any of the Omega speakers. I purchased the 400R last year when I fully expected to buy a big, not-so-efficient pair of speakers. It turns out I'm not likely to buy those speakers.

Gotta go for now.

Michael
Michael and his lovely wife Melody were here for several hours and what great company they were.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I hope readers don't miss construe what Michael was saying: the Super 3i is not better than the Super Alnico Monitor.  As far as the sound went he loved the Super Alnico Monitor and preferred it above the others.  It was on the Super Alnico Monitors he did almost all his listening.  On the other two, we only listened to one song on each - hardly a way to pass judgement.  He was not prepared for the large size of the Super Alnico Monitor, hence for his application, he preferred the Super 3i, and in his shoes, so would I.

After that, we switched to the Super 7 Monitors, with as he said, a much lesser (not weaker in the true sense of the word) front end.  Going down instead of up can give a very unfair advantage to the lower end system, and that was part of the problem.  As far as the 7s being "incorrectly" positioned which made them sound thinner than the Alnicos, "incorrectly" was: they were out into the room for the sake of image depth, not to mention that part of the room has challenging acoustics.  After Michael left I moved the 7s closer to the wall which fleshed out the sound quite nicely.  As far as the 7s imaging poorly, it's news to me.  On a previous post I mentioned running the Super 7s in my main system with Decware/Concero HD.  The sound was off the charts good.

Next, we went to the Super 3i on the desktop.  The 3i has been (along with the Super 3 desktop) my go to speaker for the desktop and reigns supreme there.  They also have about $1600 worth of electronics in front of them.  Currently one of the finest desktop systems I've heard, so the Super 7 in it's compromised part of the room didn't stand a chance.  I am considering not having a stereo in that part of the room until I can sort out the acoustics.  I also feel the Super 7 may need a little bit of patience as far as break in goes.

JLM makes a good point about aging ears and it amazes me how loud some customers want to hear the music - it almost drives me out of the room.  I had my hearing checked about two years ago and according to the audiologist, I have excellent hearing.  I sometimes wonder if the reason people like G Georgopoulos (who has never added one iota to the Omega AudioCircle) talk about single driver speakers as being compromised in the top end is because their hearing is compromised.  The most laid back speaker Louis ever made was the Hoyt Bedford and I thought they had a nice top end with great soundstage depth.  Protect your hearing, without it you're out of the hobby, or worse, out of business. 

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #51 on: 11 May 2015, 04:33 pm »
I emphatically agree with Canada Rob about protecting hearing.  I have some loss and use aids.  Both genetic and many years of loud concerts and music in the car (all prior to walkman's debut in the '80's).  I keep a sound pressure level meter by my listening position and keep the volume below 80db except for occasional peaks (C weighted).  I don't want to lose any more!

.........Peter

mresseguie

« Reply #52 on: 11 May 2015, 04:34 pm »
Hi, Rob.

I'm afraid I was on a tight time leash when I began my reply, so much information pertinent to my experience was left out.

Of the three models in your showroom, the 3i best fits my needs because of its size and speed. If I had a proper sized room in which I could locate larger speakers, I would reconsider my choice. There's also an excellent chance I will take these to Taiwan this year since my room there is only approx. 8.5' x 9.5'.

As for my passing judgement...well, everyone passes judgements based on their personal experience, no?  :)

Many thanks to both Rob and my wife for allowing me the time to visit and to get a better idea of what makes Omega speakers 'tick'.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #53 on: 11 May 2015, 06:15 pm »
I emphatically agree with Canada Rob about protecting hearing.  I have some loss and use aids.  Both genetic and many years of loud concerts and music in the car (all prior to walkman's debut in the '80's).  I keep a sound pressure level meter by my listening position and keep the volume below 80db except for occasional peaks (C weighted).  I don't want to lose any more!

.........Peter

I even have included my OSHA approved ear muffs in my system profile.   :wink: 

Headphone/earbud use is even worse than speakers.  Used open air headphones for 3 months in college.  Worked great for my neighbors in the dorm, but found that it was easy to turn it up too loud.

Public Service Announcement:  Extended exposure to over 80 dB will result in permanent hearing loss and possible tinnitus (permanent pain). 

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #54 on: 11 May 2015, 06:24 pm »
I even have included my OSHA approved ear muffs in my system profile.   :wink: 

Headphone/earbud use is even worse than speakers.  Used open air headphones for 3 months in college.  Worked great for my neighbors in the dorm, but found that it was easy to turn it up too loud.

Public Service Announcement:  Extended exposure to over 80 dB will result in permanent hearing loss and possible tinnitus (permanent pain). 

JLM, that is some excellent advice that I wish someone would have given me many years ago!
Between loud music, racing motcross in the 70's and drag racing my hearing is not what it could be.
I have been talking to my grandson, has headphones on quite a bit, about protecting his hearing.
Have a good one!
Bob2

Ultralight

« Reply #55 on: 1 Jun 2015, 10:53 pm »
What is the restocking charge?

Thanks,
UL

[quohttp://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=130031.0te author=Canada Rob link=topic=134140.msg1424002#msg1424002 date=1429891397]
All you can do is try, and if you don't like the Omegas, there's always the 30 return policy.
[/quote]

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #56 on: 1 Jun 2015, 11:03 pm »
What is the restocking charge?

Thanks,
UL

[quohttp://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=130031.0te author=Canada Rob link=topic=134140.msg1424002#msg1424002 date=1429891397]
All you can do is try, and if you don't like the Omegas, there's always the 30 return policy.
Not sure because I don't have one up here in Canada.  You'll have to ask Louis.

hdrider

« Reply #57 on: 2 Jun 2015, 01:08 am »
I could never imagine sending my 7XRS's back, even fresh out of the box knowing that breaking we needed they were so eye opening. The whole SET / Class A/Tube/Single driver things is a mind twister. Loving it all. Happy Listening, Chris.

rebbi

« Reply #58 on: 2 Jun 2015, 01:54 am »
Hrider,
I am totally with you on the SET magic thing. My Manley push-pulls were quite good but the 300B SET I built last winter blows it away. That's why, despite my real affection for my Reference 3A De Capo's, I am so tempted to pull the trigger on a pair of 7 XRS's or Alnico monitors. If they were any better than the De Capo's with my amp I might never leave the house!

hdrider

« Reply #59 on: 3 Jun 2015, 01:47 am »
Hmmm- no response from G. G above. Not surprised. I have been an ''industry participant'' in audio a few times in my adult working life and have owned some nice multi-way(ribbon tweeters to 46k) and sold some very nice multi-way speakers systems but…and that is the TOUGH part about this whole SET/Single Driver (and soon to be sub) thing. You have to forget all the crap you have been reading and listen with your mind and body.  IF you listen to music, don't buy into the whole bigger/better/more nonsense you can learn a lot. I am tapping my toes, stomping my feet and smiling like R.P. McMurphy in the loonie bin. It took a long time and one little 2 watt Zen amp to redirect my mojo, and then a HUGE leap of faith to buy the gear. I have never bought gear that I didn't listen to in my home (for a few weeks). I would stop considering Omega, and make the call to Louis. I talked to him this last weekend, what a gent! Like everything, we all have opinions and you are all entitled to your .02 cent refund for reading through this mini-rant…Buy the speakers, Buy the Amps, buy the sources /media you LOVE and get you mojo juices going!! Happy listening, Chris
P.S. anyone near Santa Cruz, Ca who doesn't own Decware / Omega is encouraged to drop me a line if you want to listen….Chris.