BP26 DAC vs outboard DAC

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BP26 DAC vs outboard DAC
« Reply #40 on: 5 Jun 2009, 12:38 pm »
I thought the BP16 was a step down from the 26.   Is that not correct??

Hi mitcho,

No I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about our preamps. They all use IDENTICAL gain stages and only the feature set changes.  So there is no 'better-best' approach with Bryston.  Your choice is one of 'features' not 'performance'.

james

mitcho

« Reply #41 on: 5 Jun 2009, 01:25 pm »
it's too bad I did not know that before.  I would have purchased the BP16 instead with a DAC and phono preamp on board.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #42 on: 5 Jun 2009, 02:02 pm »
it's too bad I did not know that before.  I would have purchased the BP16 instead with a DAC and phono preamp on board.

Remember the BP16 only allows MM Phono not MC whereas the BP26 allows for MM and MC.  Also the BP26 has Balanced In and Out.

james

mitcho

« Reply #43 on: 5 Jun 2009, 02:14 pm »
I have two cartridges.   One is a MM and the other is a high output MC.  My amp only has single ended inputs.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 5 Jun 2009, 02:24 pm »
I have two cartridges.   One is a MM and the other is a high output MC.  My amp only has single ended inputs.

Hi mitcho,

Well in that case the BP16 would have been an option for sure. Sorry the info wasn't available to you sooner.

james

mitcho

« Reply #45 on: 5 Jun 2009, 03:20 pm »
that's fine.   The dealer suggested the BP16 once but did not tell me it was virtually the same internally.   The website really did not give me the sense it was really a similar preamp.

Regardless, I am not disapointed with my purchase.  It will also give me an option to go balanced out if I decide to change my amp.   

I also should have asked more questions about the BP16 when he suggested it.  There's worse things than owning the BP26.  I have enough room anyway and if I get a balanced amp, then I am set up to take advantage of it.
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2009, 04:35 am by mitcho »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #46 on: 6 Jun 2009, 12:10 pm »
that's fine.   The dealer suggested the BP16 once but did not tell me it was virtually the same internally.   The website really did not give me the sense it was really a similar preamp.

Regardless, I am not disapointed with my purchase.  It will also give me an option to go balanced out if I decide to change my amp.   

I also should have asked more questions about the BP16 when he suggested it.  There's worse things than owning the BP26.  I have enough room anyway and if I get a balanced amp, then I am set up to take advantage of it.

Hi Mitcho,

Yes maybe I should put a statement on the website that makes the similarities of the preamps more clear.

thanks, james

mitcho

« Reply #47 on: 6 Jun 2009, 02:26 pm »
yes.   The website indicated the BP16 was the same preamp as is in the B100 SST, which it probably is.   However, it should point out that it has the same gain stages as the BP26.  So if you don't require Balanced in and out and want the flexibility of both a DAC and phono stage, here is the answer.

I think pointing that you are really getting the same preamp sans the balanced circuits would be a very good idea.   I would have jumped at the 16 right away.  Especially if the website indicated you don't lose any of the sonics of the BP26. 

audiokiep

« Reply #48 on: 6 Jun 2009, 05:39 pm »
To add to the actual topic of this thread, in my experience with 26DA, BDA and BCD there are some important sonic differences between the dac in the BP26 and the BDA-1.

Whether this is due to a newer CS dac chip or an independent power supply or isolation of preamp and digital sections or combination of factors, the BDA has a much better focus, pace and balance of sound and yes, the overall PRAT. Better foundation (bass), more solid feel - it sounds pretty much like the BCD-1 which is a complement for a dac required to use whatever spdif can provide.

The 26DA has a good dac which is quite detailed however this is done in a certain way that suits some recordings and some not. After getting over the initial "oh my gosh what a detail" reaction I have noticed that it is a bit dry and less involving and after a while your attention may start drifting.

BDA-1 is a big improvement across the board and is the way to go imo.

mitcho

« Reply #49 on: 9 Jun 2009, 05:32 am »
I am pleased that I went with the BP26 and the external BDA-1.  It allows me more options in inputs than the internal models whether the BP16 or the BP26.   For the little extra room it took, I probably went in the right direction.  I have not regretted the purchase at all.   I would think having it's own power supply with the BDA-1 would have some additional benefit, regardless how good the MPS-2 is.