feeding the BDA-1

drummermitchell

feeding the BDA-1
« on: 6 Apr 2009, 02:28 am »
Just wondering,besides connecting cdp,computer ect. to run thru the BDA-1.
what other sources would give satisfactory audio :scratch:.
I was thinking of our Sat.tv receiver as there is a mess of radio stations on there.
I'm trying to prepare myself as to what would be satisfactory(sound wise)to run thru her.
Any BDA-1 users conecting anything else besides cdp,computers,Thanks.

jethro

Re: feeding the BDA-1
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2009, 02:45 am »
I don't have a BDA-1, but I briefly tried the music channels on my digital cable box into my SP-1.7.
It's unlistenable. Hopefully you'll have better luck with satellite.

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2009, 03:09 am »
I actually tried that also thru my Av-8,UNLISTENABLE.I thought one of my inputs was defective,hmmmm.
I guess when she arrives,i'll have to justify it by connecting my BCD-1 to her.Otherwise she's just going to sit there looking good :roll:.

werd

« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2009, 03:54 am »
Hey drummer

Try hookin your comp up to it through usb. usb cabling is cheap and u can run  pretty long lengths, not as long as balance but quite long. comp based audio is the way of the future and u have the dac that is goin to take u there. Or get a laptop, its cool to fill your laptop up with wav files and use it for playback. hard drives connected up to the bda-1 sounds reallly good, as good as cd drive. so there is lots to look  forward to.

drummermitchell

« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2009, 04:25 am »
Here's my knowledgable question,do you mean playing the computer radio stations or downloading music off internet :scratch:.i seem to like that character.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2009, 04:38 am »
drummer,

try your computer as werd already said. with uncompressed files you will get pretty good results. my Pioneer Plasma has an optical out and is plugged into the BDA-1. just yesterday evening my lovely girlfiend and i were watching a movie. then came a commercial break which started with a ringing cell phone...the sound was as clear as possible through the BDA...my girl was frightened about its clarity.
there is no better compliment than this, isn't it?! :thumb:

al.

werd

« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2009, 04:55 am »
Here's my knowledgable question,do you mean playing the computer radio stations or downloading music off internet :scratch:.i seem to like that character.

You see you have the bcd-1, this is your primary source for playback, u need to feed something to the bda-1 or else it will, like u said "just sit there".
Computer playback is something you will want to seriousily consider doing now with this dac. To answer your question,the radio stations on the net are horrid also. well at least when compared to the bcd-1. Hard drive sources are a completely different animal that sound great, the difference is obvious between optical and harddrive playback. you got a dac and a computer so there is no point in not pursueing this. Dont worry You'll love it.  :thumb:

denjo

« Reply #7 on: 6 Apr 2009, 06:56 am »
I have not tried computer radio but the radio stations via SB3 sounds very good, IMHO! At times, I feel it surpasses analog radio when fed to an excellent DAC as the BDA-1. I know because I have fed mine to my Bryston B100 DAC and if it pleases me,  the BDA-1 should be a step up.

drummermitchell

« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2009, 11:43 am »
Thanks guys,i'll experiment,What's a SB-3.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #9 on: 6 Apr 2009, 11:46 am »
Thanks guys,i'll experiment,What's a SB-3.

drummer,

it's a Squeezebox as far as i know :icon_lol:

al.

denjo

« Reply #10 on: 6 Apr 2009, 12:07 pm »
Here is what the Squeezebox Classic looks like:

And for more information, visit www.slimdevices.com

The only thing you get to squeeze is the remote! :)

drummermitchell

« Reply #11 on: 6 Apr 2009, 12:16 pm »
instead of upgrading my gear,I think it's time to upgrade the real source ME :lol:.

BrystonFan

« Reply #12 on: 6 Apr 2009, 11:15 pm »
Sorry - I'm confused  :scratch:
You're planning to connect your BCD-1 to a BDA-1 ?

drummermitchell

« Reply #13 on: 7 Apr 2009, 01:53 am »
yes,I am planning to connect the BCD-1 to the BDA-1.the BCD-1 is superb sounding by itself,
I have heard that some folks can't tell the difference in sound of the two,if that's the case I won't lose anything sonically.I have to input something in there to justify the purchase until i can figure out what
I can do with say a squeeze box or computer.I was thinking of my sat receiver for the tv(radio stations or
Sirius,don't know what to expect for sound quality out of those.I did notice a digital out so maybe that would be great for my HHB-880 CDR.

brucek

« Reply #14 on: 7 Apr 2009, 02:34 pm »
I don't have a BDA-1, but I briefly tried the music channels on my digital cable box into my SP-1.7.
It's unlistenable. Hopefully you'll have better luck with satellite.
I actually tried that also thru my Av-8,UNLISTENABLE.I thought one of my inputs was defective,hmmmm.
I guess when she arrives,i'll have to justify it by connecting my BCD-1 to her.Otherwise she's just going to sit there looking good :roll:.

Gee, I listen to my satellite music channels all the time through my SP2 and it's very high quality sound. I can't imagine why you guys are receiving poor results, unless you're not using the digital output.

I even remember James Tanner positively commenting on the music channels from his cable box - here. It's the same thing from the satellite box - digital 48K PCM.

brucek

mcullinan

« Reply #15 on: 7 Apr 2009, 02:50 pm »
Sattelite sounds pretty good through the BDA-1! 128K WMA but nice on the ears.
Mike

drummermitchell

« Reply #16 on: 7 Apr 2009, 02:57 pm »
Thanks guys,that's what I wanted to hear :thumb:.

jethro

« Reply #17 on: 7 Apr 2009, 10:10 pm »
brucek:

I was using the digital input and the music just seemed lifeless compared to a CD.
Perhaps I am spoiled. It's also been a while since I have listened to the music channels.
I'll have to have a listen to see if the quality has improved. In reference to James T's post,
I don't think we have any local FM stations on our cable system. If that were the case,
I think I would enjoy their music - at least one FM station in particular. This station sounds
pretty good over the air. I know they tweak the signal but it comes thru clean and clear
compared to our other local stations. The content of the other stations probably has
something to do with it as well.