Digital Bryston amps?

niels

Digital Bryston amps?
« on: 28 Mar 2009, 11:35 am »
A lot of manufacturers throw themselves on class D amplification, what about Bryston? Have you experimented with it or is it not good enough you think?

rob80b

Re: Digital Bryston amps?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2009, 12:07 pm »

rob80b

« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2009, 12:22 pm »
Although I do believe they are not digital.

"You'll notice from the line's hybrid name that we combine the class-D output module with regular linear power supplies, not switching supplies," explained James. "The switching supplies are too noisy."

http://bryston.com/newsletters/74_files/vol7is4.html

Robert

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2009, 01:09 pm »
A lot of manufacturers throw themselves on class D amplification, what about Bryston? Have you experimented with it or is it not good enough you think?

Hi Niels,

I have built a few proto types of Class D designs using a number of different modules available.  I have listen too units from 40 watts to 700 watts on my 3 systems at home. There really seems to be a split among people as to the merits of Class D sound vs more traditional methods.  In fact it seems almost like the old tube vs transistor debate all over again. I think there are advantages to Class D designs in certain areas but so far I still prefer the sound of the better Class A/B designs.

We have introduced a line of 8 channel Class D amps for Zone application and so far the reception to them has been quite good.

james

niels

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2009, 01:45 pm »
Ups, I missed that one, thank you.
Well, its interesting because Martin Logan use class D amplifiers in their speakers, think its B&O modules but not sure, and I tried an integrated Cary 306 amplifier with my Aeon I´s, and that certainly didnt work....

95Dyna

« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2009, 01:36 pm »
Like everything else not all Class D amps are created equal.  For example the Bel Canto REF1000 MKII has been named a class A component by Stereophile with the reviewer claiming it has overcome all the higher frequency reproduction problems that have plagued the design.  Users seem to agree. The review states that the Bel Canto is now on equal footing with some very prominent A/B designs.  Then there is the almost universally heralded Spectron Musician III MKII (what is it with this MKII moniker, it seems the new and improved version of any audio product is labeled MKII).  Once again it boils down to what James always says, "the demo is everything".