35F questions

Zero the Hero

35F questions
« on: 19 May 2008, 04:27 pm »
Hi Rick, or anyone else interested in answering :)

I've been interested in DIY for a relatively short time, and recently found your site. Very nice work! Anyway, I was wondering if you could tell me some thoughts about the 35F, specifically weaknesses compared to something like the Rc3R. I haven't seen any mention of this, but am I correct in assuming those are RS180s in the 35F?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: 35F questions
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2008, 02:04 pm »
Hi Rick, or anyone else interested in answering :)

I've been interested in DIY for a relatively short time, and recently found your site. Very nice work! Anyway, I was wondering if you could tell me some thoughts about the 35F, specifically weaknesses compared to something like the Rc3R. I haven't seen any mention of this, but am I correct in assuming those are RS180s in the 35F?

Thanks for your kind comments. The woofers are the RS180 drivers and we also use them in the 35CC and Hiddenite. The RC3R is a better overall speaker with the exception of total output capability (one 7" versus two 7" in the 35F). The 35F was designed for systems where a small footprint is needed and for the $ you would have to spend quite a bit more to beat it in a floorstanding design.

Zero the Hero

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2008, 02:43 pm »
thanks for the info Rick. I ask because I know the RS180's are rediculously good for the money, and I'm sure 2 of them go a long way towards the quality of the 8545, at least in the ranges used. Plus, I assume the mid is the same Morel driver, leaving the tweeter as the dividing factor? Correct me if I'm way off base.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2008, 03:48 pm »
thanks for the info Rick. I ask because I know the RS180's are rediculously good for the money, and I'm sure 2 of them go a long way towards the quality of the 8545, at least in the ranges used. Plus, I assume the mid is the same Morel driver, leaving the tweeter as the dividing factor? Correct me if I'm way off base.

Yes, it's the same Morel midrange. The Seas tweeter is very good but not quite as detailed or as wide in dispersion compared to the ribbon in the RC3R. The 8545 has better impact and slam than the RS180 which helps make up for it being a single woofer. The 35F was actually conceived as a lower cost version of the Phast Est design that I did a few years back. The Phast Est uses two 7" Scan-Speak woofers and has exceptional bass capability.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2008, 12:13 am »

Yes, it's the same Morel midrange. The Seas tweeter is very good but not quite as detailed or as wide in dispersion compared to the ribbon in the RC3R. The 8545 has better impact and slam than the RS180 which helps make up for it being a single woofer. The 35F was actually conceived as a lower cost version of the Phast Est design that I did a few years back. The Phast Est uses two 7" Scan-Speak woofers and has exceptional bass capability.

When i got back in chasing the audio addiction a couple of years ago it was the Phast Est design i found on SalkSound's web sight http://www.salksound.com/phast.html that got me interested in Ricks designs. Two pair of Rick's speakers later  :thumb: I'm a convert I would still love to hear a pair of the Phast Est set up in a good room.

ED

amitm

« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2008, 04:14 pm »
I am the owner of a newer version of Phast 'Est that uses a Fountek ribbon tweeter, and two different 7" woofers -- Scan-Speak and Seas Excel. I hardly get to listen to it these days because of circumstances, but I really like it. Good balance across the spectrum, with very good low frequency extension (-3 dB/47 Hz, -10 dB/32 Hz) in a reasonable package . My ears tend to prefer the "BBC dip" kind of speakers, but distortion is low enough in these that a flat response in upper midrange does not have me running from the room on bad recordings.

I also got Rick to put in three different tweeter levels for me: flat, flat-0.5 dB, and flat+1.0 dB.

I use flat-0.5 dB for my listening.

--amit