I've been remiss...

Paul K.

I've been remiss...
« on: 9 Jan 2008, 06:36 pm »
in not doing this sooner, but I sure hope later is better than never.  Rick Craig has designed 3 crossovers for me so I could build 3 really nice pairs of speakers.  The first was the Alicantes, the second the TuLines, and the most recent, the canTilena.  I just wanted to take this opportunity in this new year to say that Rick does a bangup crossover design for those of us who like to choose drivers and build cabinets but don't have the equipment (and/or maybe not the desire) to design their own crossovers.  Additionally Rick really helps out in making driver choices if one isn't sure, and it was his recommendations that got me to, first, try a ribbon tweeter (in the TuLines) then, second, to use a really good (but expensive!) SS woofer in the canTiLena.  All three pairs of speakers I've built with Rick's crossover designs have sounded very good to exceptionally good, and with the canTiLena I've now run out of reasons to build new ones for my personal use (but I'll keep trying to think of an excuse  :wink:).  Thanks, again, Rick for your help, patience and excellent work.
Paul Kittinger 

Carl V

Re: I've been remiss...
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2008, 08:28 pm »
any more details. photos &/or impressisons?!

And yes, Rick's desings have been very nice...

Paul K.

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2008, 12:05 am »
I won't take up the space to talk about all three designs Rick did for me, just the most recent one, the canTiLena.  You can find a photo of it here:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w60/PaulK_2007/CanTiLenanogrille.jpg

This 3-way uses the SS22W/8857T00 in a folded, 77"-long, mass-loaded transmission line, a Morel MDM55 for midrange, and a Fountek NeoCD1.0 ribbon tweeter.  The cabinet volume is right at 2 cubic feet and the anechoic F3 is 30 Hz.  I designed and modeled the ML-TL using Martin King's MathCad-based worksheets.

The sound from this system is exceptionally good, and more important, right to my ears (I listen to mostly symphonic music).  The SS woofer is very dynamic and pretty much worth its high price because of its dynamic capabilities. 
Paul

RobC

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2008, 12:43 am »
I second Paul K's sentiments in his first post. Rick does a really good job on designing his crossovers. I had the opportunity to hear Paul's CanTiLenas at the Iowa 2007 meet and I felt that they sounded the best overall.  

I own a set of custom Peridots (L, R, & C.C.) that Rick did for me. The more I play the Peridots, the more I like them. I too want to say thanks to Rick for helping me with my speakers.  
Robert Clark

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2008, 02:09 am »
This loudspeaker looks just too damn good to be hiding behind a link,, awesome job Paul. Welcome to Audiocirle, I can't think of a better first post than this.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2008, 10:27 am by satfrat »

dorokusai

• Polk Audio Customer Service
    • Polk Audio
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2008, 03:08 am »
That's absolutely wonderful to look at.

Mark
Polk Audio CS

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2008, 06:29 am »
Rick working on my crossovers for the rc5-garnets now  He emailed me he should be done soon and mailed to me next week :thumb: If you haven't heard one of Ricks speakers you don't know what you are missing I guess i better get busy and finish up the boxes

musicman06

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2008, 08:27 am »
This loudspeaker looks just too damn good to be hiding behind a link,, awesome job Carl. Welcome to Audiocirle, I can't think of a better first post than this.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

You mean, awesome job Paul. ;) Yes that speaker is a work of art, beautiful. Listening to Norah Jones on some of Rick's speakers as I type this. 5 of them and a sub keeping my room cozy.  :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2008, 10:30 am »

You mean, awesome job Paul. ;) Yes that speaker is a work of art, beautiful. Listening to Norah Jones on some of Rick's speakers as I type this. 5 of them and a sub keeping my room cozy.  :thumb:

:oops: I was so starstruck by that finish, i wasn't paying close attention to names.  :D

jholtz

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2008, 01:12 pm »
I'm a little late to the party but I also want to express my admiration for Rick's products and crossover design expertise. They are both at the top of the heap. Whether you have a custom design in mind or prefer one of Selah Audios excellent designs, you'll not do better.

I recommend Rick's designs every chance I get.

Best regards,

Jim

Paul K.

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan 2008, 03:14 pm »
Robin, thanks for posting the photo and the compliments.  I'm not particularly swift with computers and found the instructions to post photos directly a bit overwhelming when I was looking at them yesterday.  Thanks also to Mark and the others for your compliments.  While I might be able to make a prettier box, I don't think I can improve upon the performance in anything close to the canTiLenas in size.  As a note, while this was my first post in Rick's Circle, I have posted before in Jim Salk's Circle regarding the SongTowers QWT introduction.
Paul

Paul K.

One more thing...
« Reply #11 on: 10 Jan 2008, 03:18 pm »
Rick has posted photos of my TuLines and Alicante speakers in his Gallery, but when he last revised that section, he took away the speakers' and builders' names across the board.  You can also find photos of all three speakers I've mentioned plus a fourth pair, the TriLangles, in Martin King's Gallery with names listed.
Paul

gme109

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2008, 02:29 am »
This loudspeaker looks just too damn good to be hiding behind a link,, awesome job Paul. Welcome to Audiocirle, I can't think of a better first post than this.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Damn those are good looking speakers! If they can't pass the WAF, I don't know what can. Nice job Paul. 

Paul K.

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2008, 02:34 pm »
Thanks, GME109.  Fortunately my wife has always pretty much liked the looks of what I've built, although my first attempts about 10 years ago weren't nearly as nice-looking as these since I was a real newbie then as far as woodworking was concerned.  OTOH, my wife, who has a very good ear, is quick to point out both good and bad things about their sounds.  She's only completely poo-pooed one pair of speakers, however, which I agreed weren't very good, and she really, really likes the sounds from the canTiLena.
Paul

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 16 Jan 2008, 09:12 pm »
Thanks for all of the positive comments. Our business in 2007 increased significantly, way beyond my expectations. Without all of our good customers this wouldn't be possible. Thanks to everyone and I look forward to great things in 2008.