Veneer Seems

jono2channel

Veneer Seems
« on: 28 Dec 2007, 10:49 pm »
Lots of DIY guys building Ricks kits here. I hope that some can share experiences. I have spent the afternoon getting the hang of "book-matching" veneer in preparation for its final application. On one of the panels that I have created there is a 64th space in the seem near the top. the space in the seem is about 2 inches long. I have tinted glue. My question is....How many sins does tinted glue cover up? Should I go with it? I might have enough veneer to try again, but there is no guarantee that it will come out any better.

Thank you for your help

Pictures soon :thumb:

zacster

Re: Veneer Seems
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2007, 10:58 pm »
Try grinding a piece of leftover veneer and mixing it with clear glue to use in the seam.  Of course, try using the mixture first on a scrap with a similar seam to see how it looks.  I did this with moderate success.  You can see it only if you look at it closely. 

Christof

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2007, 11:11 pm »
What species of wood are you using?

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2007, 11:16 pm »
You can't get a good color match until the wood is sealed and finished, and woods with a natural finish usually get darker as they age. A burn-in putty stick is your best bet to hide the small seam. Sometimes I use tinted 5 minute epoxy but you have to be careful not to make a mess. Universal tinting colors (UTC) are available in tubes almost everywhere. First put masking tape on each side of the seam close to the joint, then use a putty knife to squeegee off the excess epoxy. Let dry over night and carefully sand level. Glue shrinks as it dries so it is not a good choice, epoxy does not shrink.

Experiment on scraps first, repair the cabinets only when you get your technique perfected.

Wayne

jono2channel

« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2007, 11:49 pm »
I am using a figured teneo. Thanks for the tips. I am learning a lot through this process. Keep them coming. I would rather learn from the mistakes of others than to have to learn from my own. :o :o :o aa

Christof

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2007, 03:55 am »
If you have a scrap bit of veneer just throw some of your finish on it to get a fairly close color match, could even use a few coats of shellac to get a quick representation.  We use Timbermate wood filler and I highly recommend it for your repair.

Apply it by masking off the veneer, just as Wayne mentioned.  After you get a build of filler use a card scraper to level, not too difficult.  Using epoxy or lacquer burn-in, I feel has a bit of a learning curve and might be a little tricky the first go-around.

-c