TS-3

Christof

TS-3
« on: 12 Dec 2007, 05:42 pm »
Wanted to share the shop drawings and pics of the TS-3.  This is a custom 3-way done by Rick which will be housed in a special edition cabinet by Terrawood.  Below is a drawing showing the single MDF piece which will be bent to form the upper enclosure of the design.  The final enclosure will be 8" wide, 18" high and approx 14" deep with an internal volume of 0.7cu.ft

This drawing might be helpful for those who want to try a DIY bent MDF enclosure, I've left my notes attached.  The kerfs are spaced about 1/8" apart, each corner has about 20 kerfs to make the bend.

Aaron D

Re: TS-3
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2007, 04:59 am »
Thanks for the info. How wide and deep is each kerf? Are you anticipating any problems w/ the tight 2" outside radius? Good luck, I know you'll keep us posted.

Thanks,
Aaron

Christof

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2007, 03:24 pm »
Aaron

The kerf is 1/16" wide and approx 11/16" deep.  2" radius is not a problem if you go slow and use steam.

c.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2007, 03:33 pm »
What blade to you use to make the 1/16th kerf all my blades cut about 1/8 wide do you have a thin kerf blade?

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2007, 04:28 pm »
What drawing program is it, might I ask?

Christof

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2007, 12:21 am »
Use a thin kerf blade.  Don't try this at home but I use multiple thin kerf circular saw blades with 1/8" spacers between, loaded in my table saw to save time

Josh, I make shop drawings with Sketchup

Christof

Final concept
« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2008, 05:19 pm »
Here are the last of the concept drawings for the TS3 design cabinets.  Three pairs of cabinets will be built as follows:

1.  White micro perf shell with solid Claro Walnut baffles, rubbed to high gloss
2.  White micro perf shell with solid quartered Wenge baffles, satin wax finish
3.  White micro perf shell with solid Bloodwood baffles, satin wax finish

Two pairs of cabinets will be available for sale through my shop to be used with Ricks designs.  This cabinet combination was designed specifically for the TS3 commission which was, for me, a no holds barred speaker.  They may work with other driver combinations but this is up to Ricks willingness to take on more work.  We are currently very busy in the shop trying to fill commissioned work so we will only be able produce these three pairs for now.  One pair will stay as my personal pair, most likely the Claro Walnut or Wenge, the other two pairs will be available for best offer.  Shoot me a PM for more details.

-Chris

JP78

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2008, 11:55 pm »
you have to love sketchup :)

Christof

« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2008, 11:51 pm »
Here is the upper module.  Just need to apply the HushMat H-2-0 between the Padauk baffle edge and the enclosure and yank the blue tape.  Matching Paduak panels will be installed on the backs.  Internal hookup was done with Groneberg Quattro Premium Cable using Groneberg silver solder supplied by Klaus at Odyssey Audio.  There were no connectors used anywhere internally for hookup, everything was point to point soldered.  The enclosure was lined with No-Rez and stuffed with virgin lamb's wool from Madisound that was blessed by a Shaman  :lol:

The mtm module will be mated with the Symphonic line RG1 amp and the bass modules (coming soon) will be powered with the Odyssey Dual Mono's in the picture.

Rick nailed this design :thumb: 

Steamin' boxes before the bend.....

« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2008, 12:04 am by Christof »

klh

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2008, 06:52 am »
Love the last photo :). You really put a lot of effort into these guys. Well done. Can't wait to see the finished product.

F-100

« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2008, 03:34 pm »
Chris,
  Is that the Symphonic line RG1 amp on top of the Candela preamp? That is a cool looking amp.

Christof

« Reply #11 on: 27 Feb 2008, 01:40 am »
Chris,
  Is that the Symphonic line RG1 amp on top of the Candela preamp? That is a cool looking amp.

That's the RG1 without handles.  Klaus Bunge designed this case and calls it the "X-wing" case.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #12 on: 6 Apr 2008, 01:15 am »
From your Odyssey post, I take it you have completed your TS-3 speakers. How about updating this thread with some finished pictures, hea? Also what are the drivers that were used in this design? Thanks.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

Christof

« Reply #13 on: 6 Apr 2008, 12:10 pm »
Pics coming soon.  I still have a few minor things to finish up, like jumping behind my lathe and turning the Padauk risers between the upper and lower cabinets, turns some spikes, finish up the back panels and apply a few more coats of oil/wax.  Before this happens I need to get all or at least some of the wood Promitheus TVC cases built. 

The drivers are SS 6600 AirCirc tweeter & Seas Nextel 5" in an mtm config along with a pair of 10 Seas Aluminum underneath.  As I mentioned in the Odyssey post, the Dual Mono's power the 10" Aluminum drivers and the Symphonic Line powers the mtm's.  I prefer the Candela pre in this system but I'm in the process of switching the silver out of a TVC and going 100% copper so that may change :wink:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #14 on: 6 Apr 2008, 04:15 pm »
Cool,,, I look forward to some finished pictures.  :D