Accurarray and Revarray -- more info please

bubba67

Accurarray and Revarray -- more info please
« on: 25 Oct 2007, 09:30 pm »
Rick,

On your website under "What's New" heading you show the pictures of the new designs - Accurarray and Revarray - can you let us know when you will update the website with more details about both of these designs? I'm curious. What drivers are you using in these new designs and in what ways will these new designs differ from RS8, Alexandrite, or XT8?

In one of our past correspondances you indicated: "I'm actually working on a new design that I think in some ways will be even better than the RS8. It will have a dual line of small woofers flanking a line of ribbons. A subwoofer base could be used or of course separate subwoofers if desired." You mention dual line of small woofers flanking line of ribbons but I don't see that kind of design in the Accuarray/Revarray pictures. Please shed more light.

Thank you and I look forward to more info on these designs.

Derek

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: Accurarray and Revarray -- more info please
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2007, 08:23 pm »
Rick,

On your website under "What's New" heading you show the pictures of the new designs - Accurarray and Revarray - can you let us know when you will update the website with more details about both of these designs? I'm curious. What drivers are you using in these new designs and in what ways will these new designs differ from RS8, Alexandrite, or XT8?

In one of our past correspondances you indicated: "I'm actually working on a new design that I think in some ways will be even better than the RS8. It will have a dual line of small woofers flanking a line of ribbons. A subwoofer base could be used or of course separate subwoofers if desired." You mention dual line of small woofers flanking line of ribbons but I don't see that kind of design in the Accuarray/Revarray pictures. Please shed more light.

Thank you and I look forward to more info on these designs.

Derek

I'm not sure when I'll add the information to the site but I'll try to answer your questions here. The Accuarray and Revarray both have eight Fountek ribbons per side (same as the XT8 and RS8). The woofer in the Revarray is the 7" Scan-Speak Revelator (eight per side) and the Accurarray uses nine Accuton 5" drivers. Both are designed to be augmented with subwoofers but the Revarray could be built in a larger ported cabinet for full-range use.

The main differences between the arrays are tonality and crossover points to the subwoofers. The smaller woofers (Accuarray) typically cross @80hz and the other designs 60-70hz. The woofers are a matter of preference and what works best for you may be different than the next person. I can say that the Accuarray and Revarray are the best of the bunch but they are more costly ($12,995/pr).

The new design is an effort to bring very similar performance at a lower cost. I have most of the parts on hand and the design is in the planning stage. There will be eight ribbons per side and thirty-two 3" drivers. The powered subwoofer will form the base for the array cabinet and I may have the option of an outboard active crossover. I'm aiming for a price in the $6-7K range (arrays w/powered subs). With smaller woofers the symmetrical layout provides identical dispersion to both sides of the speaker and the multiple drivers increase the amount of air movement to make up for the smaller cone area. With a shallow metal alloy cone the driver behaves as a true piston across a wide range and the coverage is very even. I'm very excited about this design and I believe that it will be exceptional for the $.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2007, 04:12 pm »
I'll add that if you're ever in the Dallas area you must go hear the Accuarray system that Bruce has assembled. He's near completion of the total system and has left no stone unturned. I hope to visit him sometime and hear it because it's going to be something special  :thumb:

Brucemck

« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2007, 09:35 pm »

The Accuarrays are very special. 

I'm very far from having a slew of new components dialed in -- e.g. the subs and chairs and speakers have not been placed in optimal locations, the time alignment in the DEQX crossover hasn't been dialed in, and I'm using both an old Sherwood amp and zip cord quality interconnects and speaker cabling -- but I'm already amazed by the sound quality I'm getting.  I (finally) got the DEQX hooked up and working over the weekend, and for the first time in a long time (maybe ever) thought to myself "this is going to be very, very, special."

At this point kudos to Jim for these amazing arrays and kudos to Steve Nugent at Empirical Audio for an amazing DEQX mod.

It'll be another 60 days or so before I have the new amps (custom 300bs), the equipment relocated off the floor onto a decent rack, good cabling, etc.  I'll post then.  In the meantime, even though my room currently resembles an electronics lab more than a theater, anyone seriously considering these items is welcome to spend an hour or two.

bubba67

« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2007, 03:27 am »
Rick,

Would pairing either of your new Accurarray or Revarray with a pair of subwoofers Linanite compare to the design/sound of Genesis 201s? http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/prd_201.html

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #5 on: 7 Nov 2007, 04:18 am »
Rick,

Would pairing either of your new Accurarray or Revarray with a pair of subwoofers Linanite compare to the design/sound of Genesis 201s? http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/prd_201.html

I've not heard the Genesis system but the design has some inherent limitations. Our system is also about 1/3 the cost  :thumb:

Brucemck

« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2007, 02:24 pm »
Bubba67 .... I used to own Genesis 350SEs.  The ribbons and tweeters in the 350SEs are identical to those on the 201s, the primary difference being fewer (sub)woofers per side.  I powered them with VTL750s References.

The big Genesis are very nice speakers, albeit very expensive.  I liked their "speed" and they have a very nice "liquidity" in the midranges.  I got great customer service from both my Dealer and from Genesis.  Properly placed with good room treatments they deliver nice imaging too.  However, I could never get the woofers to integrate well.  There was always a bit of a "discontinuity" where I was aware of a different set of drivers taking over.  Even after having professional acousticians dial in my room that remained.

The AccuArrays are, IMO, superior in every respect to the 350SEs, and at much lower cost.  The imaging is better, the dynamics are better, vocals are almost spooky in realism, and there's zero discontinuity with my subs. They are also easier to place and it's easier to get the room treatments right.  With the Genesis you have to be very carefull with the backwave coming off the ribbons, and they are extremely sensitive to the room treatments or lack thereof on the wall behind them, an issue you simply don't face with the AccuArrays.  The AccuArrays are also much more efficient, so you can get by with less amp (current, not quality).

« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2007, 11:40 pm by Brucemck »

bubba67

« Reply #7 on: 8 Nov 2007, 12:59 am »
Brucemck,

Thank you for your feedback on the Genesis and comparison to the Accuarrays. From your post I assume that you have a personal pair of the Accuarrays? Is that so? If yes, are yours paired with a separate subwoofer?

Bubba67

Brucemck

« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2007, 02:19 pm »

Yes, I have a set of AccuArrays.  They're paired with Seaton Submersive subwoofers, which are self powered sealed box units with two woofers on opposing sides per box.  You can get to some information about them via the link in my earlier post.