• Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Accutons have arrived...
« on: 30 Apr 2007, 06:30 pm »
The C90-T6  :D 8) :D 8) :D

JoshK

Re: Accutons have arrived...
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2007, 06:56 pm »
What do you have planned for them?  Those are tasty looking drivers, but ouch....almost $500/ea. 

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2007, 07:40 pm »
What do you have planned for them?  Those are tasty looking drivers, but ouch....almost $500/ea. 

High resolution systems - a center channel and a 3-way. Our pricing structure makes them more affordable  :thumb:

jono2channel

« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2007, 09:07 pm »
Hey Rick

I have been keeping to myself whilst I save my pennies. I am getting close to making a final decision....can you give any more details on this 3-way? Which woofer? Tweeter? possible stats like sensitivity and FR? Ball Park final price?  How would it compare to the RC5? aa This one sounds good.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2007, 11:10 pm »
Based on some talks I have had with Rick I have no doubt these drivers will be put to some very good use.

Rick, glad to hear that you have a project using this particular Accuton driver.

George

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2007, 11:40 pm »
They are one of the best performing drivers out there based on measured data.  Even their breakup is benign for a metallic cone driver.  Of course, I know Rick's pricing is better than good, I was merely commenting that they are expensive for raw drivers.  I'd still cop for them though, since they look to perform to their price, unlike a few other unnamed uber expensive drivers.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2007, 01:58 am »
Hey Rick

I have been keeping to myself whilst I save my pennies. I am getting close to making a final decision....can you give any more details on this 3-way? Which woofer? Tweeter? possible stats like sensitivity and FR? Ball Park final price?  How would it compare to the RC5? aa This one sounds good.

No details yet as I'm very early in the process of evaluating the driver for three different floorstanding designs.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2007, 02:05 am »
They are one of the best performing drivers out there based on measured data.  Even their breakup is benign for a metallic cone driver.  Of course, I know Rick's pricing is better than good, I was merely commenting that they are expensive for raw drivers.  I'd still cop for them though, since they look to perform to their price, unlike a few other unnamed uber expensive drivers.

Yes, I cringed even at the price that I have to pay for them  :lol:

The way I looked at it is that there are virtually no drivers (maybe none) that offer the combination of sensitivity (93db) with extended bandwith, smooth response, and a superior cone material.

jono2channel

« Reply #8 on: 2 May 2007, 03:26 am »
Hey Rick

How long does a new design like this usually take to see through? I ask not only because I am interested in this new sensitive 3-way, but because I am wondering how much time you could have spent on the RC5 and some of your other big designs. It seems to me that you are doing things that noone else is up to. When could we hope to have a little more info?  :D (please don't interpret this as impatient. Just excited)

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #9 on: 2 May 2007, 04:03 am »
Hey Rick

How long does a new design like this usually take to see through? I ask not only because I am interested in this new sensitive 3-way, but because I am wondering how much time you could have spent on the RC5 and some of your other big designs. It seems to me that you are doing things that noone else is up to. When could we hope to have a little more info?  :D (please don't interpret this as impatient. Just excited)

It all depends on what I have in process at the time, as well as project complexity, delivery time for parts, and my volume of phone calls / emails on a given day. I share your excitement and I'll explain some of what I'm exploring. We are always looking at new drivers and designs because I get bored easily and want to push the envelope   :lol:

Other drivers include dome and ribbon tweeters. As far as the woofers I have some Scan-Speak 8" Revelators with metal cones that I had imported from Europe for us to implement in a few new designs. Simply the best drivers of their size/application that I've ever worked with. With two of these drivers per channel I can deliver a system -3db in the mid 30's and 92db sensitivity  :D

I'm also looking at a 10" 3-way with either AuraSound or Scan-Speak woofers. Dipole operation of the Accuton mid is a possibility; however, I need to do further tests to see how it performs in that application.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2007, 01:22 pm »
The diamond tweeters are here as well. A customer sent a pair to us for use in a custom design  :thumb:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2007, 01:44 pm »
Sounds very interesting.  Dave/Joules has a DIY system that featured Accuton mids, Raven Tweeter and TC Sound woofers with filtering done by DEQX. It sounds really good. Here is a picture. 

I am sure yours will look much better although Dave did darned good job with his. :wink:
Please keep us updated on how this project turns out. 

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2007, 02:20 pm »
Sounds very interesting.  Dave/Joules has a DIY system that featured Accuton mids, Raven Tweeter and TC Sound woofers with filtering done by DEQX. It sounds really good. Here is a picture. 

I am sure yours will look much better although Dave did darned good job with his. :wink:
Please keep us updated on how this project turns out. 

I would like to hear that system - where's he located? This project is for a OTL (Atmasphere amps) system and I'm making it amp-friendly with a 12+ ohm target impedance.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2007, 02:34 pm »
I would like to hear that system - where's he located? This project is for a OTL (Atmasphere amps) system and I'm making it amp-friendly with a 12+ ohm target impedance.

He is in Manassas which isn't too far, I think.  He had a bunch of different filtering configuration with his DEQX.  It was cool to check them out.  Here is the link to the dubuting of his system.  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=35592.0

jono2channel

« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2007, 09:24 pm »
Will this highly sensitive full-range floorstander be bigger/smaller that the RC5? More or less expensive? Capable of the same low frequency output? What cabinet shape?

Jonathan

Joules

« Reply #15 on: 12 May 2007, 01:32 am »
Yes ... Hello ... I'm hear, I've been very distracted.
A lot has changed since the MAAC guys came over. For the better.
If Rick or any body would like a demo, I would be more than happy to arrange a demo and do a brain dump of what I have learned about the Accuton C90-t6 or what ever.

Thanks
 Dave

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 12 May 2007, 01:39 am »
Hey Dave,

I am sure you don't mind me volunteering you for demo.  :angel:  I want to come over when and if Rick comes over.  Plus, you were going to show me some tweaking with my turn table set up, remember.  I will bring one over. 

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #17 on: 12 May 2007, 02:59 am »
Will this highly sensitive full-range floorstander be bigger/smaller that the RC5? More or less expensive? Capable of the same low frequency output? What cabinet shape?

Jonathan

It will be awhile before I have any further information. Right now I'm doing two custom designs with the SS woofers and ribbons that need to be finished before the Accuton work begins. One will have a MTM on top with the Scan-Speak Revelator mid and the other is going to be a MT on top with the new Seas 16NX magnesium cone driver.