Initial Comments on Rick Craig Project

Paul Pohopien

Initial Comments on Rick Craig Project
« on: 2 Oct 2006, 09:34 pm »

Coherence 2.4 review:

Let me begin by saying these speakers only have about 8 hours on them....but if my initial impressions hold, these are some wonderfully musical speakers.  I've named them the Coherence 2.4 due to the seamless integration between the drivers (ala Rick's crossover design), a dual cabinet design, with four drivers total

Background
This is my third speaker build with Rick, the other two have been established kits (the STS and Whomp).   I wanted to give it a go one more time, however, this time I called Rick directly, told him I was currently using Martin Logan's, and, while I loved the "dissapearing act" they produced, I felt they missed the dynamics.  I was very interested in designing a dual cabinet system..... I felt I could regain the dynamics I was missing and still have a very open and airy sound.  Rick was an excellent source of knowledge, explaining how various drivers would integrate.  We decided on Seas w22's in the "body" cabinet and an Accuton 5" midbass combined with Fountek ribbon in the "head" cabinet. 

Associated Equipment
Bryston 7b Monoblocks
Sony XA7Es CDP
Jeff Rowland Pre
Cabling - Nordost Blue Heaven and MIT Terminator 2's

Room Size & Speaker Placement
Room Size - 24 X 15
Speaker Placement - 2 feet from front wall, 2 feet from side walls
Tube Traps in front wall corners

Initial Impressions
Four words come to mind:  CLARITY, FOCUS, DETAIL, DYNAMIC.  
The ceramic Accuton mid is excellent, not at all dry or sterile.  The speed and detail of the Accuton is an excellent match for the Fountek Ribbon.  Rick's crossover design, which you'll have to contact him about if you have any questions (I know more about woodworking than electronics) is ultra smooth and reveals everything the music has to offer without imparting anything it shouldn't.  As far as the tweeter,  I was concerned about the Fountek, as there are many other Ribbon manufacturers out there, but I trusted Rick's ears....and they don't lie!  The Fountek is terrific, and I'd use it again.

The Seas Excel W22's, produced wonderfully detailed, tight lows.  Nothing even remotely boomy.  I'm easily hearing sounds my Martin Logan's couldn't come close to touching.  Even though these speakers weigh a ton, the sound that comes out makes them seem lighter than air.  A clear, wide, and deep soundstage is easily percieved, and the tight, robust lows just push you deeper into the listening chair.  I am very impressed.

If I could be overly critical, as I feel I should be, as I'm probably biased, the soundstage does tend to compress slightly, at very loud volumes.  This could be a factor of my listening room or simply a result of the speakers not being broken in yet.....again, they only have about 8 hours on them.  We'll just have to see.  Again, this is only when I really open them up.  I'm eager to hear if anyone has a comment on this.

In summary, this project has exceeded my expectations.  I asked Rick for dynamics, warmth, detailed highs, and a speaker that would "dissappear".  I feel like nicknaming Rick "The Postman", because he's super dependable and always delivers!

Thanks again to Rick.....for all your efforts and answering my tireless questions.

Paul.

Midnite Mick

Re: Initial Comments on Rick Craig Project
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2006, 09:44 pm »
When I first saw these I was interested in them.  Now you really have me  :drool:.  Thanks for the quick review.  I really love the openess and airyness of Logan's but like you wonder about the dynamics and bottom end.  Have these been as picky with placement in order to get them to dissappear as the Logan's are. 

Please keep us updated as they are breaking in.

Mike

F-100

« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2006, 09:54 pm »
Paul,
 Very nice speakers !! Did you build the cabinets yourself?

Paul Pohopien

« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2006, 09:57 pm »
Yes, that's my workshop (uh, er, garage) in the background.  I must admit, some of the cuts were a small geometry lesson.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2006, 11:29 pm »
Fantastic work Paul!

Your cabinet work puts many commercial products to shame!

I really love the two cabinet approach and I have a couple of questions:

1.  Is the top box connected in any way to the bottom box or does it simply rest on the bottom box?

2.  Did you use one or two sets of binding posts?

Can you possibly take a picture of the rear of the speaker?

Thanks again for posting and letting us see those beautiful speakers.

George

klh

« Reply #5 on: 3 Oct 2006, 12:25 am »
Beautiful work :).

Kishore

« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct 2006, 01:26 am »
 :bowdown: Amazing! Paul, sent you PM.

Rick/Paul,

Did you consider powering W22s with dedicated amp?

Cheers,
Kishore

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 3 Oct 2006, 02:47 am »
Paul,

I am not generally one to comment much about the way a speaker looks, since I am primarily concerned with the sound......

But I have to say that those are the best looking speakers I have ever seen :drool:

You might want to get in the speaker cabinet business.

That side shot is stunning.

Damn, they are gorgeous :thumb:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #8 on: 3 Oct 2006, 02:59 am »
I was thinking the same thing.  What a good way to finance your addiction, er, I mean hobby.

Those are absolutely stunning cabinets.

Bryan

TomW16

« Reply #9 on: 3 Oct 2006, 03:24 am »
Yes, that's my workshop (uh, er, garage) in the background.  I must admit, some of the cuts were a small geometry lesson.

Beautiful cabinets! :thumb:

I am in the process of building similar speakers (Ellis 1801 3-ways) with a separated top and bottom cabinets and can attest to the trigonometry calculations of determining cut angles.  :duh:

I will be very happy if my cabinets turn out half as attractive as yours look.  Great job and thanks for the inspiration to finish mine.

Tom

Midnite Mick

« Reply #10 on: 3 Oct 2006, 03:24 am »
I have actually emailed those pictures to myself.  They are absolutely stunning.  I want them.

Mike

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 3 Oct 2006, 04:16 am »
:bowdown: Amazing! Paul, sent you PM.

Rick/Paul,

Did you consider powering W22s with dedicated amp?

Cheers,
Kishore

No but you certainly could do that. Paul already had a pair of subwoofers I designed so the intent here was to integrate the new mains with the subs.

Paul Pohopien

« Reply #12 on: 1 Dec 2006, 04:52 am »
Just wanted to quickly update.....after listening to these for about a month.

First, I mentioned the soundstage was compressing a bit, at higher volumes.  Embarassingly, my 1 year old daughter must have been playing around back there (when I was building the speakers so everything was unplugged for a few months) and flipped a parallel/series switch on one of my monoblocks.....I flipped it back and whamo.....stage stays perfectly in focus.

Rick also had me change the internal dimensions of the upper cabinet (this was my screwup, not rick's).  The upper cabinet is now smaller and should obviously control the mid just a bit better.  Truthfully, I don't hear much of a difference, all I know is everything sounds great.

Earlier this evening I played "Somehwhere over the Rainbow" by that hawaiian guy Iz Kakasomething....and the vocals are so warm, smooth and deep imaging.....that I swear that fat guy was singing in my room.  Flippin gave me chills listening.

Paul.