Potential Tempesta DIY build questions.

dublin78

Potential Tempesta DIY build questions.
« on: 17 Jul 2012, 02:29 pm »
After much trawling round the web, this looks like the pefect design for me. Thank you. I am looking for a compact three way speaker to deliver detailed unfatiguing sound in my main listening room, which is 6m x 4m (19ft x 13ft). My other gear is Twisted Pear Buffallo II DAC, going into Hypex UCD180HG with hxr amplifiers.

My previous speakers were AOS Studio 12XL. They were beutifully seamless, coherent, and very neutral, which initially did not appeal, but which I came to love. However, I did feel that I wished for something a bit warmer. Hard to describe. I had to move them on as uncovered standmounts were not ideal with a baby in the family. http://www.aos-lautsprecher.de/deutsch/lautsprecher/revelator/s12.html

Some quick questions to start with:

(1) I assume that the Accuton middrange, and the RAAL tweeter are sealed at the rear? Is there any advantage in putting these in their own recesses to eliminate buffetting from the woofer?

(2) Is the crossover for the sealed and the vented version the same?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: Potential Tempesta DIY build questions.
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2012, 02:43 pm »
After much trawling round the web, this looks like the pefect design for me. Thank you. I am looking for a compact three way speaker to deliver detailed unfatiguing sound in my main listening room, which is 6m x 4m (19ft x 13ft). My other gear is Twisted Pear Buffallo II DAC, going into Hypex UCD180HG with hxr amplifiers.

My previous speakers were AOS Studio 12XL. They were beutifully seamless, coherent, and very neutral, which initially did not appeal, but which I came to love. However, I did feel that I wished for something a bit warmer. Hard to describe. I had to move them on as uncovered standmounts were not ideal with a baby in the family. http://www.aos-lautsprecher.de/deutsch/lautsprecher/revelator/s12.html

Some quick questions to start with:

(1) I assume that the Accuton middrange, and the RAAL tweeter are sealed at the rear? Is there any advantage in putting these in their own recesses to eliminate buffetting from the woofer?

(2) Is the crossover for the sealed and the vented version the same?

Both the tweeter and mid are enclosed on the rear so they can share the same airspace as the woofer. The crossover is the same for both versions. Unless you have a subwoofer and active high pass filter on the Tempesta I would go with the ported version.

dublin78

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2012, 03:09 pm »
Rick. Thanks for the quick reply.

I was planning on going vented, but it is good to know that I can plug the vent and use a subwoofer (if I feel that I need it) and not need to change the XO.

Here is my more significant question: I am wanting a speaker that I can place on the floor and have a maximum height of 65cm. The Tempesta height is circa 55cm, so I could build my own cabinets with a little extra height in them (maintaining the same volume). The big issue is how will these sound mounted lower? I know that you normally recommend 24" (60cm) stands. The vertical and horizontal dispersion characteristics of the Tempestas look amazing, which is what has attracted me to them. My listening position would be 4.5M (14ft) from the speakers.

Rick: Please could you try placing your sample Tempestas on the floor, or on a few books, to find the result. They may not be optimum, but thay may not be bad???

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2012, 05:02 pm »
Rick. Thanks for the quick reply.

I was planning on going vented, but it is good to know that I can plug the vent and use a subwoofer (if I feel that I need it) and not need to change the XO.

Here is my more significant question: I am wanting a speaker that I can place on the floor and have a maximum height of 65cm. The Tempesta height is circa 55cm, so I could build my own cabinets with a little extra height in them (maintaining the same volume). The big issue is how will these sound mounted lower? I know that you normally recommend 24" (60cm) stands. The vertical and horizontal dispersion characteristics of the Tempestas look amazing, which is what has attracted me to them. My listening position would be 4.5M (14ft) from the speakers.

Rick: Please could you try placing your sample Tempestas on the floor, or on a few books, to find the result. They may not be optimum, but thay may not be bad???

I would have to tweak the crossover for that plus you'll need to angle the cabinet front for the right listening axis.