Ken Onion Knife at Costco

kenreau

Ken Onion Knife at Costco
« on: 8 May 2016, 04:18 pm »
I just picked up this Ken Onion Rain 8" Cooks Knife at Costco for $69.  Looked like a great price for a reasonable quality knife.

The features read;
Rain pattern for non-stick
High carbon CTS-BDZ1 stainless steel
G-10 handle
Precision ground
Highly heat resistant
Impervious to moisture.

Made in the USA. 

I used it this morning to slice some lemons and it went through them like butter.  Very nice so far.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Ken Onion Knife at Costco
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2016, 04:32 pm »
Thanks for the heads up, Ken.

I'll look for it next time I'm in a Costco.

Panelhead1

Me too
« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2016, 05:00 pm »
  I love Ken Onion design knives. Carry a Kershaw 1620DAMCKT pocket knife. It is designed by Ken. I "need" a fancy blade like this in the kitchen.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2016, 05:07 pm »
They've been discontinued for whatever reason and Cutlery and More has them on clearance for $90 ($170 retail), so $70 is an even better deal.  I like having a machined G10 handle vs. molded plastic.

Ken Onion is the youngest inductee in the Knife Maker's Hall of Fame and holder of 36 utility patents.  He's as well known for ergonomic comfortable handles as he is for blade design and finishing.

Steve

Edit: The supposed retail price aside, Bed Bath & Beyond is currently selling this knife for $215.

gregcss

« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2016, 05:30 pm »
Nice find. I've been wanting to get a new kitchen/chef knife for a couple years now. My real hold out is getting a proper sharpening system. Not to detract from OP but has anyone tried the Misen knife?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2016, 05:47 pm »
I have three Ken Onion Shun knives that I use constantly- even though the knife snob in me wants to use my fancier Japanese knives.  It seems like I'm always reaching of the "odd" handle Ken Onions. 

kenreau

« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2016, 05:50 pm »
Nice find. I've been wanting to get a new kitchen/chef knife for a couple years now. My real hold out is getting a proper sharpening system. Not to detract from OP but has anyone tried the Misen knife?

Re: a proper sharpening system, I use the EdgePro system.  See info at http://www.edgeproinc.com

Made in Hood River, Oregon.  I was buying my Triumph Tiger on CL a few years ago and coincidentally it was owned by Ben Dale of EdgePro.  I went to his place and found 5 motorcycles in his garage.  We later we got to talking about knives after I made the connection.  He took me out to his shop where they manufacture and ship everything. Great product and great guy.  He said something that stuck with me - that most Chefs have an average of 10 different knife sharpening gadgets, until they buy his. Boom, drops the mic. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7 on: 8 May 2016, 06:16 pm »
Re: a proper sharpening system, I use the EdgePro system.  See info at http://www.edgeproinc.com

... most Chefs have an average of 10 different knife sharpening gadgets, until they buy his. Boom, drops the mic.
+1 on the EdgePro.  Sold my other stones and systems. 

ctviggen

« Reply #8 on: 8 May 2016, 11:58 pm »
I have an EdgePro Apex kit.  I do like it but am unfamiliar with other systems.

goskers

« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2016, 12:12 am »
I am another with the EdgePro Apex setup.  I would highly recommend this for anyone with decent steel. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #10 on: 9 May 2016, 12:55 am »
Another with EdgePro Apex here.......but,.....

Back to the topic at hand!

Where was this Costco that had this knife? I'll keep an eye out for it here (Central Coast of Cali), but it wasn't at these Costco's a week or so ago.... :dunno:

kenreau

« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2016, 01:57 am »
Another with EdgePro Apex here.......but,.....

Back to the topic at hand!

Where was this Costco that had this knife? I'll keep an eye out for it here (Central Coast of Cali), but it wasn't at these Costco's a week or so ago.... :dunno:

Portland, Orygun.  You might try their website to see if available there.

Good luck

Kenreau

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #12 on: 9 May 2016, 07:10 am »
It's a good choice for general kitchen use. Much better than some made of Damascus or some other exotic steel requiring Japanese water stones and cost an arm and a leg. Pretty knives, well made, very expensive and are going to end up dull in a drawer because you haven't the time to learn to sharpen them.

Doc

audiojem

« Reply #13 on: 9 May 2016, 01:07 pm »
Can we please get the Costco Item # sorry can't make out number in picture.
Thanks
AJ

kenreau

« Reply #14 on: 9 May 2016, 01:50 pm »
Can we please get the Costco Item # sorry can't make out number in picture.
Thanks
AJ

Sorry, the packaging already went out in the garbage / recycling pick up this morning.  If its still there when I leave for work I'll try to grab a photo of it.

brianmch

« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2016, 03:15 pm »
It isn't on the costco website under a search for kitchen knife.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2016, 04:11 pm »
It isn't on the costco website under a search for kitchen knife.

My wife is a manager at Costco, I'll ask her if she can find it. 

Sometimes items are only available at select stores or regions.

George

brianmch

« Reply #17 on: 17 May 2016, 03:52 pm »
Thx George.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #18 on: 17 May 2016, 04:44 pm »
Bad news...looks like the knife is only available in some Costco locations in Washington and Oregon.

Sorry.

George

kenreau

« Reply #19 on: 29 May 2016, 05:05 pm »
I was at Costco again this weekend (Tigard, Oregon) and there were only 2 of the knives left.  I bought another one to give as a gift.  The product number is 942263.  Price is $69.97.

Ciao
Kenreau