30-Year Old Cuervo Especial

Don_S

30-Year Old Cuervo Especial
« on: 25 Nov 2015, 11:27 pm »
I have an unopened bottle that is 30 years old.  Is is still "especial" or "el-rotten"?

I obviously don't drink so I don't know about aging in a bottle.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: 30-Year Old Cuervo Especial
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2015, 12:08 am »
I have a Trebiano Piagentini from 1987 I suppose its vinegear now.
I may use it for salads.

weatherman1

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2015, 05:57 am »
If the tequila is still sealed and the level is up to neck it probably is still Especial since glass is inert.  The wine is just old juice but chemical activity has changed the character since it went into the bottle.  You won't know until you pull the cork, sniff, swirl, and gargle.  Hope for the best!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2015, 09:24 pm »
That would be interesting to open up. If memory serves, that's a twist off....so it's all going to depend on how good of a seal they put on the inside of that cap.
If you want, drive to me, and I'll twist the top. It's a service I'm willing and able to provide to a fellow audio brethren.

Bob - At your service

andrewmr

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2016, 11:45 pm »
I have an unopened bottle that is 30 years old.  Is is still "especial" or "el-rotten"?

I obviously don't drink so I don't know about aging in a bottle.

Well.... did you ever open the bottle and was it ok?

I have a Trebiano Piagentini from 1987 I suppose its vinegear now.
I may use it for salads.

I would say it all has to do with how it was stored..... did you drink it or use it on salad?  Or both :-)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2016, 01:40 pm »
It was stored in a hot kitchen many years w/hot summers,
and now about 15y in the refrigerator +5ºC, so maybe its
vinegear now(?).
I dont take alcohol and dont eat salad too much to use it,
so I have to wait.

ACHiPo

« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2016, 01:11 pm »
It was stored in a hot kitchen many years w/hot summers,
and now about 15y in the refrigerator +5ºC, so maybe its
vinegear now(?).
I dont take alcohol and dont eat salad too much to use it,
so I have to wait.
It's tequila, not wine, so vinegar is not a worry.  It will be fine, and possibly better, after years in the bottle.  Give it to a friend that enjoys alchohol and they'll appreciate it.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2016, 01:31 pm »
Give it to a friend that enjoys alchohol and they'll appreciate it.
I'll PM him my address.
You're welcome.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2016, 05:46 pm »
It's tequila, not wine, so vinegar is not a worry.  It will be fine, and possibly better, after years in the bottle.  Give it to a friend that enjoys alchohol and they'll appreciate it.
I have not mentioned again but my bottle is white wine, not tequila.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2016, 08:08 pm »
Gustavo,
Trebbiano grapes make wines that are meant for quick drinking.  They are a rather neutral grape, very suitable for blending, but not good for aging.   Your wine was going bad after about 1993.  On a similar note, my mother in law bid on a charity basket containing a bottle of Nouveau Beaujolais from 1996.  She "generously" gave it to us.    As soon as I got it, I chilled it way too cold hoping to make it at least neutral, and opened it an hour ago.  It had turned to oxidized crap.   This is a wine that will only go a year or so, and trebbiano ages almost as quickly. That said, I made some killer Trebbiano sparkling wine back in '88.   :thumb:
The Cuervo, on the other hand, will sit fairly inert in the bottle for decades and will still be fine.  Spirits typically don't age in the bottle like they do in the cask. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2016, 10:30 pm »
Thanks Clark for you fair analysis, I never liked wines except champagne I have bought this wine because of the beautiful glass bottle, its like a drop shape, similar to I Dreaming of Jeannie what are very expensive:
http://www.jeanniebottles.com/geniebottles/

ACHiPo

« Reply #11 on: 17 Mar 2016, 01:18 pm »
I have not mentioned again but my bottle is white wine, not tequila.
FRM,
I apologize.  My ignorance once again raises its ugly head.  I saw Cuervo Especial and assumed you were the original poster.  Just realized you weren't the OP.  For your white wine, it is likely spoiled per S Clark's post.

Thinking I need another shot of espresso!

AC

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 17 Mar 2016, 04:53 pm »
FRM,
I apologize.  My ignorance once again raises its ugly head.  I saw Cuervo Especial and assumed you were the original poster.  Just realized you weren't the OP.  For your white wine, it is likely spoiled per S Clark's post.

Thinking I need another shot of espresso!

AC
Thankyou, you most kind, not need apologize its my fault too the topic isnt about wines :thumb: