Need some insight on Brandy and Cognac

low.pfile

Need some insight on Brandy and Cognac
« on: 16 Jan 2013, 06:54 am »
Well I hosted a Downton Abby premier party a couple of weeks ago and it was a pot luck dinner. While it was far from a formal event, in fact it was very casual, I tried to cover the bases for all drinks, spirited and otherwise.

I bought some Hennessy Cognac [VS], thinking I might have some friends who wanted an elegant late night drink. but no one did. So after the fact, I am sampling it myself, and I am trying to make sense of Cognac vs Brandy.

I picked up the smallest bottle of Hennessy to have it on hand. But for some reason, I feel Hennessy is like Miller Beer--I could be wrong. I don't want to have a $100 cognac or brandy but wondered what you ACers recommend for guests who like a decent drink for this type of imbibment?

BTW, it was a great night with my new projector in my informal living room set up. It's all about the friends and food ( and drink ) not gear.

srb

Re: Need some insight on Brandy and Cognac
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2013, 07:20 am »
Although Hennesy is the world's largest Cognac producer, it is commensurate with other reasonably priced Cognacs from Remy Martin or Courvoisier.  Although you can spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on specialty Cognac, I've found that as a generalization, it takes the VSOP grade to reach the needed smoothness for unflavored Cognacs.

The exception is flavored Cognacs.  Of the orange flavored liqueurs and brandies, only a few are made with French Cognac, and Grand Marnier is one that I enjoy very much, even though the Cognac grade is unspecified.  I've found that in social gatherings that are devoid of Cognac connoisseurs, both men and women will enjoy a Grand Marnier who might not otherwise enjoy or even try a plain Brandy or Cognac.

Steve

low.pfile

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2013, 07:39 am »
Thank you Steve for the easy to understand reply!!

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2013, 05:07 pm »
I agree you need  to go at least VSOP for connoisseurs.  XO is typically a treat for most connoisseurs and higher levels get really expensive fast.  XO is good spot in terms of QPR  if you really want to impress knowledgeable guests but VSOP will do for most people and it's at a level that you can enjoy if nobody else is into it. 

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2013, 05:15 pm »
Steve is right on the money about Grand Marnier. :)

Also, don't forget Martell.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2013, 05:16 pm »
Agreed.
I agree you need  to go at least VSOP for connoisseurs.  XO is typically a treat for most connoisseurs and higher levels get really expensive fast.  XO is good spot in terms of QPR  if you really want to impress knowledgeable guests but VSOP will do for most people and it's at a level that you can enjoy if nobody else is into it.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2013, 06:13 pm »
Of the standard brands, Martell is the best, IMO.  Another brand that is amazing for the $$ is Germain-Robin - at $40 to $60 for their entry level stuff, the flavor is amazing.  They really should charge a lot more for this stuff, its that good.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2013, 06:26 pm »
How would you describe the taste of Germain-Robin?

I just may have to go out and get me some to try. :)
Of the standard brands, Martell is the best, IMO.  Another brand that is amazing for the $$ is Germain-Robin - at $40 to $60 for their entry level stuff, the flavor is amazing.  They really should charge a lot more for this stuff, its that good.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2013, 07:04 pm »
besides the recommendations above, Camus Elegance series is exceptional, imho , and VSOP is a great value.

another thing to try is Armagnac, but I'd stick with Marie Duffau/Delord brand as the quality of Armagnac varies more significantly than Cognac

http://vosselections.com/Domains/1287.html

Tyson

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2013, 07:15 pm »

I just may have to go out and get me some to try. :)

Smooth and rich, with a very surprising depth of flavor.  You'd have to spend probably $200 to get this level of sophistication from other brands.

decal

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2013, 07:26 pm »

That's like asking what a certain speaker sounds like. Ask 100 people get 100 answers !!!!!  :rotflmao:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2013, 08:18 pm »
 The only one for me is Louie the 14th. If you must XO.  :)  Not inexpensive.

charles

low.pfile

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jan 2013, 01:07 am »
Thanks all for the info and suggestions.

12tone

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jan 2013, 01:36 am »
If you can find it,  Delamain is an extraordinary Cognac. It sells for  around  80$ . I was turned on to this  Cognac in 1980 by a friend who was the KEF sales rep. He was from Burgundy France and quite knowledgeable regarding wine and Cognac. Before I found out about Delamain I drank Remy Martin VSOP. I can't drink any Hennesey- not my taste.

Syrah

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jan 2013, 11:04 pm »
I'm a bit of a noob.  In my experience Martel is nice if smooth is your goal.  I love Henessy XO.  I splurged to get a bottle and I don't regret it.  While really expensive I actually thought it was worth every penny - but not for everyday, that's for sure.  It was definitely an "oh, that's why people pay the big bucks for this".

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #15 on: 18 Jan 2013, 12:01 am »
Charles,

I'm flying over, bring Louie out will you. :)
The only one for me is Louie the 14th. If you must XO.  :)  Not inexpensive.

charles

Tyson

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jan 2013, 01:23 am »
Maison Surrenne is another option in the $40 range that is actually even better than Germain-Robin, IMO.  It's a bit more rare, but if/when you find it, snap it up!  Great, great stuff for very little $$.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #17 on: 1 Feb 2013, 06:51 pm »
Smooth and rich, with a very surprising depth of flavor.  You'd have to spend probably $200 to get this level of sophistication from other brands.

I picked up a few  XO bottles of Germain-Robin upon your recommendation.   I trust your taste.  That Highland Park 18 was gorgeous -- almost like a cognac.  I picked up one as soon as I got home.  Germain-Robin XO, indeed, is very good -- close to Hennessy XO in complexity and smoothness.  It lacks a little depth in comparison but it is really good and worth every dollar. 

My treasured reference is Hennessy Paradis.  It's the best I have tasted.  I have always kept it on hand for special occasions but I ran out recently and was looking to replenish it.  Hennessy changed the name from extra to rare and doubled the price.  I just received a couple and these will be really treasured since I don't think I can afford it any more. :o  Paradis is the bomb, though.  It's definitely a must experience for any self respecting Epicurean!   :thumb:  You just don't know what you are missing until you have tried it. 

Wasatch

« Reply #18 on: 1 Feb 2013, 06:57 pm »
A very nice inexpensive Brandy Asbach Uralt.

dwk

« Reply #19 on: 1 Feb 2013, 08:43 pm »
Maison Surrenne is another option in the $40 range that is actually even better than Germain-Robin, IMO.  It's a bit more rare, but if/when you find it, snap it up!  Great, great stuff for very little $$.

I've been out of the Cognac habit for a while, but Germain-Robin was my go-to as well. For anyone not familiar, it's actually made in California (and hence technically an 'alambic brandy' rather than a Cognac), which I suspect is part of the price differential.

Maison Surrenne is a true Cognac, so the quality at such a low price is surprising.  Anywhere to get it locally in Denver? (expecting the answer 'no')