Why HT2 and not V3? V3s don't get much attention?

sanlanman

Why HT2 and not V3? V3s don't get much attention?
« on: 19 Feb 2009, 03:01 pm »
The other thread asked about comparing Song Tower Ribbon Tweeter models to the HT2's, and several valid points were made. But what about V3s? they are only $200.00 more based on current base pricing listed on the Salk site. I have V3s and are extremely happy with them. My (delayed) purchasing decision was made after auditioning the original Song Towers and HT3s at the AudioKharma Show in May 2008, and after listening to Pete's V3's in his home that night. HT2s were not available to audition that weekend. When I discussed my pending purchase with Jim, his reponses indicating suble improvements in imaging and depth of low requency response convinced me to go with the V3 setup (including the the Junior version of the V Monster center, but thats another story).

V3s don't seem to be selling as hotly or a least reported as much here as the Song Towers or even the HT2s. So, to get to my points or questions, has anyone ever been able to directly audition the HT2 tower and V3 side by side? Jim or Dennis, will the HT2 TL tower equal or exceed the V3 in any performance characteristic and at what price premium? Any of you guys that bought or considered the HT2s (and did not rule them out due to cost), is there any reason the V3s were not considered? I think they should be considered. There imaging frequency response, balance and clarity, and ability to to fill a larger room with great sound are superb. As far as I can tell now, my search for speakers is over and the upgrades are going to happen across my various electronic components.

FYI: I ruled out the HT3 because it was just beyond what I could spend and they really need plenty of clean power to shine their best and I was using only a Yamaha reciever at the time of the decision. Right now the Yammy reciever is being used as a temporary pre/pro and feeding a Cary Audio Design Cinema 5 amp.

Your thoughts please.

[Gets off soap box now.}

mbrady

Re: Why HT2 and not V3? V3s don't get much attention?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2009, 06:35 pm »
The other thread asked about comparing Song Tower Ribbon Tweeter models to the HT2's, and several valid points were made. But what about V3s? they are only $200.00 more based on current base pricing listed on the Salk site. I have V3s and are extremely happy with them. My (delayed) purchasing decision was made after auditioning the original Song Towers and HT3s at the AudioKharma Show in May 2008, and after listening to Pete's V3's in his home that night. HT2s were not available to audition that weekend. When I discussed my pending purchase with Jim, his reponses indicating suble improvements in imaging and depth of low requency response convinced me to go with the V3 setup (including the the Junior version of the V Monster center, but thats another story).

V3s don't seem to be selling as hotly or a least reported as much here as the Song Towers or even the HT2s. So, to get to my points or questions, has anyone ever been able to directly audition the HT2 tower and V3 side by side? Jim or Dennis, will the HT2 TL tower equal or exceed the V3 in any performance characteristic and at what price premium? Any of you guys that bought or considered the HT2s (and did not rule them out due to cost), is there any reason the V3s were not considered? I think they should be considered. There imaging frequency response, balance and clarity, and ability to to fill a larger room with great sound are superb. As far as I can tell now, my search for speakers is over and the upgrades are going to happen across my various electronic components.

FYI: I ruled out the HT3 because it was just beyond what I could spend and they really need plenty of clean power to shine their best and I was using only a Yamaha reciever at the time of the decision. Right now the Yammy reciever is being used as a temporary pre/pro and feeding a Cary Audio Design Cinema 5 amp.
 _______________________________________ _______________________________________ ____
...long time lurker, first time poster...

...I am diving in the Salk speaker pool, but I am strugglin' with which end of the pool to jump in to...
I am at about the same place as Samlanman, as I have ruled out the HT3s for the same reason...
...and I have talked to Jim several times (nicest CEO I have ever met) and am ready to pull the trigger...but like Barney Fife, my wife (Andy Taylor's cousin...lol) has issued me one and only one bullet...and I want to hit the target dead on with my only bullet...and I thought the bullet was heading for the upcoming HT2s...but the V3s have me intrigued...
...I listened to the Song Towers last summer at Jim's home (whens the last time a CEO said meet me at my home...here is the address???...who WOULDN'T want to do business with a man who meets you and treats you like a person he wants to do the absolute best he can to bring music in to your home for you and your family to enjoy...and after listening to the Song Towers, I thought I was sold...but before I left, I opened the proverbial Genie in the bottle, and was that Genie a babe...her name was HT3 and I had never heard a speaker play music so beautifully...and that had me perplexed for the last 8-9 months while I diligently worked to get my finances in order and did my homework...and 'lurked' as one of the 'guests' about every other day since last summer...
...I talked to Jim a couple of times in the last few weeks, and thought I was sure the new HT2s were the best way to go for my new HT in a room that is 15x24 with 9 foot ceilings and plaster walls...an 1880s sturdy home...and I am psyched outta my gourd to fill up the room with the best sound I can reasonably acquire, and my question boils down to this: given the new/upcoming HT2s and the V3s are at about the same 'price point', as you coolies say(lol), which speaker system is the best audiologists' sound for the buck?

...I'd appreciate any feedback from the ...what'n'heck do I call the group a people I been a'lurkin on for goin on a year???...anywho, whaddya think???

...and I plan on driving my Salk to beeees with the new Yamaha rx-z7 receiver...in what my daughter has called daddy's new 'man cave' that started with my recently purchased pioneer elite 50 plasma---

...so can a 'brother' get some feedback from my brethren???

thanks,
                                                                         Mark

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2009, 11:04 pm »
Hi Guys,

I think its pretty easy to decide which speaker you want to purchase if you have an opportunity for a demonstration.

I live in Australia and I bought a pair of Salk Sound Ht2's.  It was a line ball decision but cost factors finally raised their ugly head.  I could buy the deluxe version with a nicer veneer for about $3-400Us cheaper.  Also I had done a bit of research on the net and hadn't read much about visiton drivers but there was a lot of information on the seas excel drivers used in the speakers.

In regard to cost you must remember that I had to pay for shipping, customs and import fees.  In total they cost me $5400AU to import and that was when the aussie dollar was strong.  I'd hate to think how much they would cost now.

In summary slightly cheaper and more positive feedback for the driver lead me to the ht2.  However, if I had the opportunity to listen to the v3 it may have been a different story.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards

Rod

sanlanman

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2009, 03:27 am »
Simply as an FYI, The V3 and the HT2 use the same tweeter, so any differences would be due to other factors, (IE: the other drivers, cabinet design/construction and crossover design.)

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2009, 03:37 am »
I think the V3 will move more air then the HT2 (is this the MTM we have seen before?).  If you room is on the larger side, like 15x24 is, then I'd opt maybe for the V3 unless you plan to use your receiver to high pass the HT2's.  Larger room require more bass which can make or break some systems.   I've heard neither, just my pontification.

funkmonkey

« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2009, 04:52 am »
Hey guys, I have not heard either the HT2, or the V3.  But, I wanted to share something that Dennis (possibly Jim, not sure which one, I could be blending conversations) said to me while I was deciding on which speakers to get (HT3 was my choice).  He said that the mids were very slightly more forward with the V3, and had a little better dispersion (due to the smaller mid range driver) in reference to a discussion about the sound of brass instruments, and that he would have liked to hear what I thought of them (V3) in comparison to the HT3 (shares the same mid as HT2 & HT1).  I am certain that this would apply to anybody that is able to make a direct comparison, so I will be watching this thread with some interest.  There is no doubt in my mind that I made the right decision to go with the HT3 (for me), but I would still be interested in hearing the V3s...

« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2009, 04:53 am by funkmonkey »

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2009, 06:28 am »
in comparison to the HT3(shares the same mid/tweet as HT2 & HT1). 

I think the HT2 has a modified LCY 110 tweeter rather than the G2.  The modified LCY 110 is the same tweeter that is in the ST RT, I believe.  I considered the V3, too, and wondered about the comparison to the HT3.  (neither speaker would work in my room, however.)

funkmonkey

« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2009, 06:51 am »
Doh!  :duh:  I think your right.  Sorry 'bout that.

Rocket

« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2009, 08:03 am »
Hi,

Not sure of the name of this speaker but another floorstander to consider and to make the decision even harder  8).

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=64109.0

Regards

Rod

ardee

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2009, 02:33 pm »
This is probably a tad off topic but not too far.    In reference to the V3 and HT3 comparisons if you have not already, do a search for "HT3 vs V3" or "HT3 and V3" from Big Red Machine (hope he doesn't mind me mentioning this) and you will come up with some of the best comparisons of the two I have read.     He even mentions in one post the HT2 and QWT I believe.    I had these same questions for awhile before I found this.
sanlanman- very nice looking speaks by the way.  I almost bought a pair myself.
funkmonky- I do not think there is much to say that has not already been said but those things are sweet.

Robert

yooper

« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2009, 05:11 pm »
Deleted.. (signed in to post in another thread but this thread came up instead.  I didn't realize it until I replied).

sanlanman

« Reply #11 on: 20 Feb 2009, 09:09 pm »
This is probably a tad off topic but not too far.    In reference to the V3 and HT3 comparisons if you have not already, do a search for "HT3 vs V3" or "HT3 and V3" from Big Red Machine (hope he doesn't mind me mentioning this) and you will come up with some of the best comparisons of the two I have read.     He even mentions in one post the HT2 and QWT I believe.    I had these same questions for awhile before I found this.
sanlanman- very nice looking speaks by the way.  I almost bought a pair myself.
funkmonky- I do not think there is much to say that has not already been said but those things are sweet.

Robert

Robert, Thanks for the kind words.

As an FYI to newcomers, the front baffles on my V3s are shortened to appear similar to the Song Tower baffle shape; whereas all other V3s that I am aware of have a full length baffles. I wanted a black baffle but I also wanted some wood veneer on the front, and Jim had no problem with this modification. My V3s photos are in the owners thread.
So don't be afraid to at least inquire about a modification to any of his speakers. Jim will be very straight up about feasability and cost. After all I think he prides himself on the "custom" aspect of his speaker construction.

PS Funkmonkey's info from Dennis mirrors what Jim told me about the V3 midrange driver when we were discussing V3s versus HT2s.