RMAF Coverage from No Audiophile

a.wayne

Re: RMAF Coverage from No Audiophile
« Reply #100 on: 14 Oct 2015, 05:08 pm »
That happened when you admitted to lying.

Disingenuous is more accurate Dave, the usual deft smile and blank stare  by most pro reviewers listening to bad sound takes time to aquire. .

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #101 on: 14 Oct 2015, 05:45 pm »

Disingenuous is more accurate Dave, the usual deft smile and blank stare  by most pro reviewers listening to bad sound takes time to aquire. .

No, it was a flat out lie, right to my face.

I'd have respect for him if he had the balls to critique the sound and say why he didn't like it in person. Lying I have no respect for.

a.wayne

« Reply #102 on: 14 Oct 2015, 06:02 pm »
I can see from your perspective why you would feel so,   he did say great sound  ...........

aevans

« Reply #103 on: 14 Oct 2015, 06:13 pm »
aevans, How do you determine where the sweet spot is in these show rooms? I have had a hard time in some rooms.
Scotty

I used my 27mm camera lens as a starting point, usually the left and right speakers will just fit into field of view. After that I see where I'm at and it's usually the first or second row. I was in doubt a couple of times in larger rooms and asked what the intentions were for seating.

Brad

« Reply #104 on: 14 Oct 2015, 06:19 pm »
Typo on first post of thread... Well there goes all of of my credibility, right out of window!

It was also spelled that way every time you referenced it in your online article, although you did go back and correct those.
My bad.

Also, decent and descent do NOT mean the same thing.

aevans

« Reply #105 on: 14 Oct 2015, 06:25 pm »
It was also spelled that way every time you referenced it in your online article, although you did go back and correct those.
My bad.

Also, decent and descent do NOT mean the same thing.

Yeah, I'm a busy guy. If I fixed all the spelling errors you would complain about my sentence structure, and there is no fixing those rat nests.

brother love

« Reply #106 on: 14 Oct 2015, 06:37 pm »
No, it was a flat out lie, right to my face.

I'd have respect for him if he had the balls to critique the sound and say why he didn't like it in person. Lying I have no respect for.

So... Have you ever had a meal at a restaurant that you weren't satisfied with & when your server asked you how was everything, you said good or fine (I have) ?  If you take it a step further (I haven't) & rip the restaurant on Yelp, would that make you a liar?  Not everyone is directly confrontational in that situation, esp. if they don't won't to waste the time doing so. Constructive criticism is not a requirement, esp. when you don't know how it will be received.

I really do see your point DaveC113, the OP's words were excessively harsh re: your shared room; but it is his opinion.  There are plenty of other reviews of your shared room that thought otherwise.

I truly sympathize with any/all audiophile vendors that deal with hotel rooms/ electrical feed to set-up & demo their wares. It has to be a nightmare making it all work with a show deadline & all. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #107 on: 14 Oct 2015, 07:57 pm »
So... Have you ever had a meal at a restaurant that you weren't satisfied with & when your server asked you how was everything, you said good or fine (I have) ?  If you take it a step further (I haven't) & rip the restaurant on Yelp, would that make you a liar?  Not everyone is directly confrontational in that situation, esp. if they don't won't to waste the time doing so. Constructive criticism is not a requirement, esp. when you don't know how it will be received.

I really do see your point DaveC113, the OP's words were excessively harsh re: your shared room; but it is his opinion.  There are plenty of other reviews of your shared room that thought otherwise.

I truly sympathize with any/all audiophile vendors that deal with hotel rooms/ electrical feed to set-up & demo their wares. It has to be a nightmare making it all work with a show deadline & all.

Partially we don't complain in person to avoid making a scene, to avoid hearing a multitude of excuses, or getting into a protracted and possibly heated debate.  As a former state and federal inspector for 25 years I've been involved in all of the above.  And like a reviewer I only had to state what I thought was wrong (in writing after the fact) and was not allowed on many of the inspections to make suggestions (which is hard when you know what the solution is).

It is not possible to cover an entire show the size of RMAF and wait to have lengthy discussions with each vendor (who can't be there every minute, especially if they have gear in multiple rooms).  OTOH I don't know how anyone can make a detailed evaluation under short term show conditions.  Everyone needs to take a large grain of salt.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #108 on: 14 Oct 2015, 08:19 pm »
I think some people take trade shows way too seriously. :shake:

a.wayne

« Reply #109 on: 14 Oct 2015, 11:33 pm »
Well as it turns out , Absolute sound disagrees with No Audiophile  for best of sound , who would have thunk it ... :)

OzarkTom

« Reply #110 on: 15 Oct 2015, 12:18 am »
The last day of the show is always the best sound of every room there. That is also the slowest day of the show, so very few attendees gets to hear the best sound. No reviewer can run through the last day to review every room.

When I went to the shows, about 22 CES shows, I learned to never listen seriously to any system on the first day, mostly just looking at the equipment.

*Scotty*

« Reply #111 on: 15 Oct 2015, 12:29 am »
aevans, thanks for your response, you have been more fortunate than I in finding the sweet spot for listening at audio shows. In something like more than half the rooms that I have been in at shows, the sweet spot, if there was one, did not correspond any of the seating positions in the room, hence my question regarding your methodology for determining its location.
I noticed that this was primarily a function of how well the room was treated. It was a rare untreated room that had a proper ratio between direct and reflected sound and didn't have a problem with an over abundance of upper mid-range energy resulting in the dreaded upper mid-range glare. This was a particular problem in the generic small hotel room. The tonal balance error made any imaging the systems might be able to produce irrelevant to me.
 In the larger rooms that were untreated or ineffectively treated I had to use a grid search pattern on the seating looking for the sweet spot. In one room sitting at back of the room against the wall gave an acceptable tonal balance to an otherwise unlistenable system. In rooms that were treated properly regardless of size, the sweet spot was located in the chair or chairs more or less at the apex of a triangle about where you logically expect it to be.
Scotty