Love my Jazz Modules

Turk

Love my Jazz Modules
« on: 24 Apr 2010, 08:27 am »

This winter on a very snowy night there was a knock at my door and a smiling Duke LeJeune and his wife, Lori standing in the cold with with my Jazz Modules.  You can't beat that kind of service since Duke delivered them in a blizzard driving across Wyoming from Duke and Lori's home in Southern Idaho.  Getting here was a grand feat in itself.  How's that for service.  No unpacking or damage, no boxes was OK with me. 

Mike Galusha was at my home and we proceeded to set the Jazz modules up for a quick listen.  All was well as Duke and Lori drove off into the night despite my concern and an offer to stay with us.  This from a guy from New Orleans.

Quite a bit has been written about Duke's designs so I'll get to the heart of this mini review.

The rest of my system will not make Harry Pearson green with envy but I am quite satisfied with it (and, I actually own it).

-32bit Sabre DAC custom built by Mike Galusha with a very nice tube output stage using a HIface from M2tech from Tweekgeek to convert my servers stored recordings to be decoded up to 24/192.
-A deHavilland Ultra Verve 3 with upgrades to caps resistors etc.
-Cyber 845 mono blocks; yes, Mike Galusha rebuilt the power supplies and added some nice AmpOhm caps, new resistors, & hexfreds
-Kaplan power cords and speaker cables.
-Silver interconnects from the source and good old 15 foot runs of Mogami 2549 to the amps
-the usual isolation devices and other dodads that probably just make me feel better :roll:

Where these speakers excel:

Value

Cost to build verses selling price is off the charts.  Duke sells the speakers for $4500.  The retail price of the drivers alone is close to $1800 and the front baffle of the cabinet is solid Walnut!!!!!  Duke uses much, much better than average caps, resistors and inductors in the X/overs and the rest of the cabinet is a very nice Walnut veneer.  Why is that important?  I once owned a pair of JM Lab speakers from frogland that ran about $8K.  They had $5.00 Solen caps and $.30 resistors.  And while I still eat french fries I appreciate Duke's integrity.

While Duke may drive a mini-van and Dave Wilson a Ferrari, I can tell you who gives you more bang for the buck.

Sound

I cannot stand speakers that seem to get the tone wrong.  The Jazz Modules make a piano sound like a piano not a steel guitar; they excel in that area.  They also do not have honkitis that seems to be endemic to even expensive horns.  They are as neutral as I can image this design can be.

They will blow your brains out as they are free from dynamic compression at sound levels just below those of the Space Shuttle at launch.  I have had some very good dynamic speakers and none have ever matched these.  I had not heard the "Great Gate at Kiev" in all its Russian splendor until I drank way too much wine one night and lit it up.  :flame:

Incredibly versatile and tunable thanks to adjustable port length and a simple outboard resistor swap.  You really can tailor the sound to your room.

They eliminate the room to a great degree.  My room should have lousy bass.  It is small, 12'X13', and should have reflection and overload problems and poor bass.  With some bass traps, room treatments, finding the right position and tuning the port length I have what is pretty smooth, even bass that goes into the lower 30 cycle range.  While I sit near field, not by choice, I am amazed with the Jazz Modules ability to play loud without confusion ( different than dynamic compression).

Service

After having done business with Duke and closely following his response time, friendliness and problem solving skills I'd buy the damn speakers if I didn't like them as much as I do.  knowing this has been said before; Duke is a Prince.  Lori is a sweetheart.

AudioCircle members who are seriously interested and wish to audition the Jazz Modules in the Denver area can contact Duke an we will set up a time for you to listen.  I am willing to do this simply because I love the speakers and, did I say that Duke was a Prince? 

Please, do not ask to bring 11 of your audiophile friends, it's an audition not Woodstock.  Besides I am getting old and surly and I am heavily armed and occassionally drink too much

I will have these speakers for a long time.

Jerry

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
Re: Love my Jazz Modules
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2010, 10:57 am »
It is reports just like this one that motivated me to order a pair of custom Planetarium Alphas from Duke.  My speakers should be shipping soon and I am very much looking forward to the listening experience.

--Jerome 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2010, 12:30 pm »
Very good read, Jerry.  Many happy returns.  Duke wrote a very nice thesis about my small contribution to better sound over at Audio Asylum, a bee's nest.  He didn't have to do that and it was much appreciated by me cause a lot of folks don't know the hows and whys of my small thing.  He's a Prince, agreed.  I'm getting a chance to hear a system of his today.  I am invited to bring some of my own recordings and I shall.  I did listen to a system with his Swarm bass system with some Innersound stats just this past week.  Very impressed, I am.

Turk

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2010, 05:14 pm »

Thanks, Jim.  Could you post a link to the Bees nest?  I loved to read it.  Let us know how your audition goes.

Jerry

Randy

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2010, 07:31 pm »
I live in Wyoming and have often thought that if I ordered a pair of Jazz Modules, I could go get them myself.  Would they fit in the back of a Toyota 4runner? Still torn between AudioKinesis and Daedalus, however.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2010, 07:37 pm »
Jerry,

Glad to hear that you are happy with the AudioKinesis speakers and your system.  It has changed substantially since the last time I was there to hear it in person and I am guessing it has improved quite a bit.

Hopefully next time I am Denver we can get together.

George

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2010, 08:43 pm »
Would they fit in the back of a Toyota 4runner?

Duke and Lori delivered Jerry's in a Scion, so I'm guessing they would fit in a 4runner.

Randy

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2010, 04:48 pm »
Duke and Lori delivered Jerry's in a Scion, so I'm guessing they would fit in a 4runner.

Probably so, but they look huge to me, but gorgeous, in these photos.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=52153.20

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2010, 05:17 pm »
Thanks, Jim.  Could you post a link to the Bees nest?  I loved to read it.  Let us know how your audition goes.

Jerry
Sure thing.
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=speakers&n=267955&highlight=diffractionbegone&r=

The audition went mind blowing good.  It was with The Planetarium Beta System.  I wrote about it in Critics Circle- Speaker Reviews re: Jazz Modules.

brj

« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2010, 05:06 am »
Yikes, I haven't even managed to hear Mike's Abbeys yet, and now there are Jazz Modules in Denver as well?  I might have to start paying more attention to the audio world again!

Congrats, Jerry, and nice review!

Turk

« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2010, 02:57 pm »
Thanks for the link, Jim.  Yes George I have become a tubeaholic.  I am curious how the OTL Atma-sphers would sound.  I understand you love yours.  Mike's DAC build is really something.  He has built an updated version with transformers.  Can't wait to listen to it.  It seems the 32 bit Sabre DAC properly implemented sounds very close to analog.   

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2010, 03:47 am »
Wow!  I just got back from a road trip to Seattle to show a prototype bass guitar cabinet to an bunch of bass players, and I come home and find this thread. 

Thank you, Jerry.  Thank you all very much.  That incredible initial post and the follow-ups in this thread really mean a lot to me. 

Jerry and his wife were all set to put Lori and me up for the night, and Mike had made the pilgimmage as well.  Jerry has done amazing things in a small room, and he has devised the most innovative and effective bass trap I've ever seen.  He did a quick but convincing A/B demo with and without it.  Sorry, I'm not going to divulge his secret. 

Unfortunately, I am not a prince... just a duke.  A prince is a just a heartbeat or two away from the throne; a duke has to kill a room full of people to get anywhere near the throne.  Even supported by friends who are heavily armed and occasionally drink too much, it's a long shot. 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #12 on: 27 Apr 2010, 05:34 am »
Jerry....

Don't forget a photo....."strike a pose".... :wink:

Enjoy the Jazz Modules.... :beer:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 27 Apr 2010, 12:19 pm »
Jerry....

Don't forget a photo....."strike a pose".... :wink:

Enjoy the Jazz Modules.... :beer:

+1

Turk

« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2010, 06:52 pm »
No one strikes a pose like the wolf.  No one should pose next to a large floor standing speaker if, indeed, they are larger than the speaker.  However, I will provide a shot of the Modules in the near future with my high school graduate picture. :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2010, 03:59 am »
No one strikes a pose like the wolf.  No one should pose next to a large floor standing speaker if, indeed, they are larger than the speaker.  However, I will provide a shot of the Modules in the near future with my high school graduate picture. :lol:

Thanks Jerry....I'll be watching....happy listening... 8)  :beer:

Berndt

« Reply #16 on: 2 May 2010, 03:36 pm »
Welcome to the Jazz Module club 8)
Proud to be an owner of these speakers.
I've been listening to a 6v6 PP amp lately that is built from leftovers and am grateful to have speakers that are both dynamic and resolving.
Best regards,Bill

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #17 on: 2 May 2010, 03:49 pm »
It is reports just like this one that motivated me to order a pair of custom Planetarium Alphas from Duke.  My speakers should be shipping soon and I am very much looking forward to the listening experience.

--Jerome

I am still ever so patiently waiting to make that trip "down south" Jerome for a listen to your Planetarium Alphas. You must be getting a little excited yourself hea?  :lol:  The wait's always the worst.

Cheers,
Robin

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #18 on: 2 May 2010, 04:06 pm »
Hey Robin,

The wait wasn't so bad for me until I sold my Omegas and shipped them off to their new owner.  I just received word from Duke that my speakers should be shipping tomorrow.  So yeah, I'm getting excited.  :D

--Jerome
« Last Edit: 2 May 2010, 05:24 pm by jsaliga »

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #19 on: 2 May 2010, 04:33 pm »
Hey Robin,

The wait wasn't so bad for me until I sold my Omegas and shipped them off to their new ower.  I just received word from Duke that my speakers should be shipping tomorrow.  So yeah, I'm getting excited.  :D

--Jerome

I had a feeling that the time was nearing Jerome,,,,,  :thumb: