VMPS GTG Yesterday

John Casler

VMPS GTG Yesterday
« on: 14 Mar 2011, 02:56 pm »
Hi All,

Had a great time yesterday at Russ's house (Russtafarian) listening to his system and his VMPS RM30's.

Alex of Wywires was also there. so you had all VMPS owners comparing notes.

Russ has his set up really well tuned, and the soundstage and imaging was immaculate.

Interestingly enough, Russ's, Alex's and my set ups are ALL very different, but each sounds spectacular in implementation.

Russ is RM30M's biamped with TUBED top and bottom, Alex is RM30C's w/CDWG  and Tubes (single amped) and I run the BCSE RM40's w/NuFORCE Ref 9 Monoblocs.

Both Alex and Russ have great VINYL rigs so we did a fun comparison of one of our reference cuts which was the first cut from the Diana Krall Album "The Girl in the Other Room".

I had the RedBook CD, Russ had the "multi-channel" SACD, and Alex had the VINYL version.

So we ran through the cut on all three to hear the subtlties of the drum kit I had observed while listening to it over the last few weeks.

Spent the better part of a couple hours listening to a lot of Reference Quality Cuts.

SWEEEEEEEET :thumb:

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Re: VMPS GTG Yesterday
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2011, 07:22 pm »
Thanks John.  I had fun showing off my RM30 setup and it’s nice to get positive feedback from a VMPS setup guru like yourself.  I got to show John a ref cuts CD-R that he gave me five years ago.  I still listen to it both as a reference tool and for the cool tunes on it.

Alex brought some great sounding jazz LPs that really stretched the speakers sound staging abilities.  On that Clark Terry record, it sounded like he was playing his trumpet from my IKEA record shelf, two feet outside the right speaker.

We also played a few cuts from Arian Jansen’s two channel virtual surround sampler CD.  Arian (a member of the LA/OC Audio Society and a brilliant audio engineer) developed a virtual surround algorithm that takes multi-channel tracks from SACD or DVD-A and reproduces them with just two channels.  It’s very impressive but only works with phase coherent speakers.  The RM30s reproduced the virtual surround effect quite convincingly.

All in all, a fun afternoon.  Thanks for coming over guys.

Russ

rbbert

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2011, 08:49 pm »
Okay, what does "BCSE" stand for (is the "SE" part "special edition"; maybe BC is Big B, but what other kind of special edition would there be)?

I see something about new CDWG's on the "ordering" part of the Web site, but can't find a picture or description??

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2011, 09:05 pm »
Okay, what does "BCSE" stand for (is the "SE" part "special edition"; maybe BC is Big B, but what other kind of special edition would there be)?

I see something about new CDWG's on the "ordering" part of the Web site, but can't find a picture or description??

Hi Robert,

BCSE = Brian Cheney Signature Edition

That was the RM40 loaded with all the best available options at the time.

As far as the listing on the website, it has long since expired.  That was back when the CDWGs were first introduced.

However, B has a new and supposedly simpler CDWG, but is having a devil of a time getting a foam supplier who can make the foam inserts he needs.

The latest is that a new supplier is supposedly sending stock, but nothing yet.