My New Omega's

jacko

My New Omega's
« on: 25 Sep 2015, 02:25 pm »
Hi all, just received my brand new Super 7 XRS MKII in Cherry.  I got them last night and have about 2 hours on them.  they look beautiful in cherry!!  They sound nice right of the box but I'm really looking forward to getting them all broken in.  I have read through many of all your posts on this forum and thanks for all your great info.  Jacko

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: My New Omega's
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2015, 02:48 pm »
Congratulations Jacko,

Beautiful speakers!  Give them about 100 hours playing music with a good amount of bass and percussion at medium volume.  :thumb:

kbuzz3

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2015, 08:04 pm »
congrats- are you powering them with that beautiful sherwood?

milford3

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2015, 11:57 pm »
Enjoy Jacko, Enjoy. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2015, 02:01 am »
Nice! ...the new Omega logo looks sweet too.  :thumb:

jacko

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2015, 12:14 pm »
Thanks for all the kind words!  Still working on break-in, up to about 15 hours.  And yes they are being powered by my Sherwood S5000 that was rebuilt 6 years ago and still running strong.  I also have a Decware ZenUFO that should arrive this week.  I have read that it should match well with the Omega's and wanted to try a SET amp. 

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2015, 10:33 pm »
Sweet...... 8)

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 9 Nov 2015, 04:04 pm »
oops.  Disregard.   :oops:

kbuzz3

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2015, 01:39 am »
FYI i just upgraded to rs5 drivers in my super three narrows and tried them with my sherwood 5000 after 10 hours of break in.  Wow....has all the clarity of the omega sound with a much needed dose of juicy.....

While a tad noisy.....i attribute that to whoever modded my amp....Omega plus modded sherwood 5000 is a sublime combo.

Here's a crappy pic... But you get idea

kbuzz3

« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2015, 01:43 am »

oops having trouble with pics

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 11 Nov 2015, 02:18 am »
Yes, kbuzz3, juicy is the word.  I've had all the current 3 series when they had the HempCone driver.  The RS5 is SO much better.  For those who think a 4.5 inch driver will sound thin, they need to hear the current RS5 based 3 series - their mind will be changed very quickly.   

:thumb:

finsup

« Reply #11 on: 13 Nov 2015, 02:37 am »
I also have a Decware ZenUFO that should arrive this week.
Hey Jacko. Time for an update....you can't leave us all hanging, especially with the arrival of the Decware amp.

hdrider

« Reply #12 on: 14 Nov 2015, 03:31 pm »
Jacko- Enjoy your 7XRS's. Mine are very well broken in now and are just such a nice, relaxing way to spend time. My Decware Rachael amp and ZP3 phono stage are a match made in heaven. Give us your thoughts as you system settles in. Happy listening.

jacko

« Reply #13 on: 16 Nov 2015, 04:05 pm »
Hi All, So my odyssey continues.... I have the Sherwood amp and had been using a pair of old Snell EII's.  My room is small 15ft x 12ft  with a 7ft ceiling.  Decided I needed a change and ordered a pair of Omega SUPER 7 MONITOR MK2 in Lev 1 teak.  Got them to about 100 hours and loved them.  I could not believe the soundstage, the immediacy and impact.  Drum thwacks sounded so real.  Then I got greedy and thought I could use a tad more bass (doesn't everyone?).  My stands are also too short and had to put them up on stone blocks to get them to a proper height, ugly but worked.  Didn't really want to go the sub route  So I called Louis and decided to move up to the SUPER 7XRS MK2  I thought they would give me everything the monitors would but with a little extra bass  and I knew I would have to spend the cash on proper stands with the monitors anyway.  I also ordered the Decware Super Zen.  The Monitors were gone (at a small loss of cash) and the floor standers came in cherry (very beautiful).  The Zen also came.  So after all this with the break in of about 150 hours on the 7XRS I have found the Monitors to work much better in my room.  Yes with the 7XRS  there was more bass and they did sound nice and very room filling (if I had had them from the start I would have never had known the difference).  I think maybe my room is just too small for the bigger speakers.  I experimented moving them all over the room and just not as good.  I tried them with the Sherwood, The Super Zen, and a Rega Brio R.  The impact and immediacy just wasn't there like with the monitors.  The quality of the bass was also better with the monitors as well.  I listen to a lot of acoustic and Jazz and the monitors also cranked YES, ELP, and Deep Purple to satisfaction (a tad more bass would have been nice but played all with gusto and clarity).  Well the 7XRS are now gone (at now more loss of cash)  and I have a pair of  SUPER 7 MONITOR MK2 in Lev 2 Cherry coming and I will have to buy nice stands.  Louis and I did discuss the Alnico Monitor but I was afraid to go for it as what I had previously sounded so good in my room.
Sorry for my ramblings.  The Super Zen is a nice amp and I would like to hear it with the monitors but as fickle as I am that too is gone.  Just as my 30 days with it were just about up the Mini Torii price dropped with a special offer and I jumped on it and traded up.
So know I am lying in wait for the Monitors and Mini Torii to Arrive.
WOW!!!  thanks for listening.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 16 Nov 2015, 08:59 pm »
jacko,

Too bad you sold your Super Zen - it's a wonderful match with the Super 7 Monitor MK2.  It seems the ultimate match may have missed each other in the fog.  Maybe get a common denominator in your system, be it amp or speakers and go from there.  I've not heard the Mini Torii, so I can't comment on it's sound, but I've yet to hear a better amp than the Super Zen, regardless of price.

The reason your 7XRS's were overpowering your room may have been due to the lower damping factor of the Super Zen, which would have been a plus with the 7 Monitors and your desire for a little more bass.  The Mini Torii with it's higher damping factor, may have you back at square one - not enough bass.

If you keep your 7XRS with it's greater bass weight, the Mini Tori may be the perfect match, taming the bass with it's higher damping factor.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2015, 12:20 am by Canada Rob »

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #15 on: 16 Nov 2015, 10:20 pm »
Excellent setup there. Isn't that a Portal Panche sitting on the bottom rack? Have you used it with the Omegas?