Dan has been 'off the grid', but I am back! Sorry....have been very busy!

modwright

I wanted to take the time to explain that while I have been 'off the grid' by all appearances, due to my lack of posting on the forum, I am VERY MUCH still here!

I have been exceptionally busy since before CES in Jan. 2012.

We had a great show in Las Vegas in January 2012 and afterwards, I took some time to regroup and look closely at our current projects, schedules, timelines, and what we are going to do for 2012!

It is not a surprise to many of you, that we have been moving PRETTY FAST for a while now!  As a result, I realized that I simply had TOO MUCH on my plate, design-wise.  I have been slowly and methodically working through all current designs, in order to release a number of projects that have been late to offer.

The truth is, it takes TIME to do proper design, and rushing a product out before it is ready is NO recipe for success!

As a result, I have 'hunkered down' in my 'lab' and worked hard to finalize the following designs:

Digital input mods: Oppo BDP-95 and Sony XA-5400ES.
Phono upgrade for KWI 200 Integrated.
USB/RCA 24/192 fully asynch' DAC upgrade for KWI 200.
USB/RCA 24/192 fully asynch' DAC upgrade for LS 100.

In addition to going over the operation and production efficiencies of our factory.

First of all, the digital input mods for the Oppo and Sony have been in the works for A LONG time and proved to be a MUCH bigger task that initially anticipated.  We changed tack late last year, after realizing that it was not feasible to simply integrate our digital input receiver board into the Sony and Oppo.  As a result, we added our own DAC to the receiver, such that the digital input includes our own DAC, completely separate from and BETTER than the players own DAC, but feeding the same tube analog stage as part of our mods.

The Oppo is still giving me fits, but I AM making progress.  Specifically, it sounds great, but there are grounding issues that are not acceptable to me and I continue to analyze and approach this from different angles.

I am also about to install the same upgrade in the Sony XA-5400ES, where I do NOT expect the same grounding difficulties, due to a different power supply and grounding scheme in the stock player.

We have prototype installations of the full DAC and its own separate power supply, including USB input (24/192 asynch') in both the LS 100 and KWI 200.  We showed these prototypes at CES and they sounded very good, but were still not ready for final release.

The LS 100 without USB is FANTASTIC.  It is the addition of the USB module that is causing some difficulties, but I am very close to a final resolution here also.

The KWI 200 I HAVE just resolved the USB addition to the DAC - a breakthrough last week!  I have only a minor programming issue to resolve and KWI 200's WILL be shipping WITH DACs!

KWI 200 will also ship with phono, in about a week.  This worked flawlessly in the proto at CES, but I have been going over it to be sure that it is as quiet as possible and that the design is bullet-proof prior to release.

There is also the standalone DAC, that I have realized, will not be released until later this year.  I first have to FINALIZE our other digital input and DAC designs and THEN, I will move onto a standalone unit that will involve further upgrades and requires a different layout and further programming.

The bottom line is that I am NOT Superman :roll: and can't do it ALL, RIGHT NOW, and do it RIGHT!

I have decicde to complete existing projects and be sure that everything is fully tested and ready for prime-time before taking on any new designs.

Right now, the STAR of our stable, is the KWI 200, 200W SS integrated amp, available with optional DAC and Phono.

Please see writeup of show coverage in this month's issue of The Absolute Sound!  The KWI 200 received excellent mention and I have offered a unit for review, but am still waiting to hear back from this.

The KWI 200 has already been reviewed in Frances 'Haute Fidelite' where it received 6/6 stars!
Reviews are also about to be released in HK, in HiFi Review and Audio Technique.
Vietnam has at least one review in this works.
Australia has a review in a major audio print magazine that will be released in a couple of months.

Life is short and life is BUSY!  These are interesting times and also exciting times.  Technology is progressing at an amazing rate, as evidenced by computer audio.  Technology also allows us to 'do more' (read, we work more!), and as any of you with children realize, every hour of every day is precious and short.

What I am trying to say is that while there have been delays, ModWright is moving forward with many new products.  Please simply understand that quality and excellence takes time!

Thank you all for your business, support loyal following.

Take care and be well!

Sincerely,

Dan Wright
President, ModWright Instruments Inc.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2012, 06:40 pm by modwright »

dminches

Dan, welcome back!  We were just about to assemble a team of investigators to find you.  :lol:

Quick question.  Based on your summary, do you have a DAC available for the LS-100 without USB?  Is that going to be an option or are you waiting for the USB DAC to be completed?

mraudio

Dan says, "The bottom line is that I am NOT Superman"

You're Superman in my book.  Don't shatter the fantasy... :o  8)  :lol:

Afterimage

I have the KWI 200 on order without the DAC.  If I want to get it or order it, do I just send it back to Modwright to get it installed?

funkmonkey

Great post Dan, thanks for taking the time to update everybody.  I can certainly relate to the kid factor...  my two year old keeps me plenty busy when I am home.  Not much time for anything but playing with her, and cleaning up after her.  I am looking forward to more information about the KWI 200 as it becomes available, especially impressions from people who use the DAC option.  Also looking forward to seeing what the stand alone DAC brings to the table.

I think you absolutely have your priorities straight in taking the time to design stellar audio gear rather than cranking out a bunch of mediocrity.

Cheers, and keep up the good work  :thumb:

Jflemelin

Will the usb input be compatible with Linux based servers? Namely Vortexbox? Also, will we be able to switch from 1 input to another if we use multiple sources?

Thanks!

JF

modwright

Hi guys, first of all, thanks for the support and understanding of my biz and personal life responsibilities!

We are using the M2Tech USB interface and I am not sure if it is Linux compatible or not.  I know that it IS Win and Mac compatible, both 32-bit and 64-bit.

The KWI 200 with DAC will be shipping this week - first units, I expect.  I am VERY pleased with its performance and I will let our customers speak for us on that!  If you buy a KWI 200 stock, you DO need to send it back to us to have the DAC upgrade installed.  The same is true of the phono upgrade.

RE the DAC for the LS 100 w/out USB, that MAY BE a good thing, if I continue to hit roadblocks due to the USB addition.  I am actually, on Sunday night, delving into that issue as I right this!  I will make a decision next week.  Possibly we will release it without USB and then offer the upgrade to those who chose the SPDIF only option (actually, could be SPDIF and XLR instead of USB), when it is complete.  I am not sure if I will have to design another board to 'decouple' the I2S data between the USB board and DAC board or not.  If so, this will take a bit more time.  For some reason, I HAVE been able to make it work and work WELL in the KWI 200, but the LS 100 has been more difficult.  Of course the KWI 200 is SS, while the LS 100 is tube, but I am looking for a common thread that will hopefully help me break through this barrier!

Thanks Guys!

Dan W.

Syrah

I'm all for doing seperate things seperately, particularly when there is such fast moving technology.  I'm waiting for your stand alone DAC.  Why not just leave the USB out and deal with it by way of seperate converter?  That way when USB technology improves we have less money committed to the old technology and can do a cost effective upgrade.

modwright

Well, I have actually found the solution for the Integrated and Sunday's late night efforts proved fruitful with my LS 100 proto.  I believe that I found the necessary grounding sequence to eliminate the noise artifacts.   When I left last night, the HF artifacts were gone and it was sounding VERY GOOD!

I am hoping that what I learned last night will shed light on the digital input issues for the mods.

The standalone DAC will follow the finalization of the DAC in our integrated and LS, as well as dig. Inputs for our mods.  If grounding is the key, as it appears to be, then the isolation scheme that I had planned for the design may not be necessary.  I will begin by prototyping the standalone, while I am working through these things.

Thank you for your support and helpful suggestions.

Sincerely,

Dan

NutBuster

No Reply Required:

Dan,

Welcome back!
Maybe a Gort can collect all the Digital Mod for the 95 posts?!?!
Right now there is info on/in: this thread, the "New ModWright Digital Input Mod for Existing MWI Modified Players!" thread & my personal fave the "ModWright Oppo BDP-95 Mods?.....YES!" thead.

Good luck!

modwright

Thanks!

Dan

Phil A

The standalone DAC will follow the finalization of the DAC in our integrated and LS, as well as dig. Inputs for our mods.  If grounding is the key, as it appears to be, then the isolation scheme that I had planned for the design may not be necessary.  I will begin by prototyping the standalone, while I am working through these things.

Thank you for your support and helpful suggestions.

Sincerely,

Dan

Dan - any updates on the stand alone DAC.  Will it be around RMAF, CES, etc.  Thanks