Contemplating DIY subwoofer

TankTop

Contemplating DIY subwoofer
« on: 1 Nov 2020, 11:26 pm »
Just in the research phase and if this is even a task I want to undertake. Currently have Dynaudio Special 40’s and a SVS PB1000, i’ve often felt like the PB 1000just can’t keep up with the dynaudio‘s. I just watched a video from GR research that talked about subwoofer speed and how that’s really more discussion of Fidelity. The PB1000 just doesn’t come close to matching the fidelity of the Dyn, SVS subwoofer matching tool goes right to their PB/SB 16 and Rels goes right to the G1. I’m assuming these two companies know more bass this than I do and they are recommending flagship subs to match my speakers, I know my ears and I think I agree.

Are there DIY subwoofer projects they can give me significant SPL with the Fidelity of a high-quality subwoofer like SVS, Rel, HSU, Rythmic or similar? I would be looking at a pair and adding amplification and DSP like a 2x4, already have a Umik-1

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Contemplating DIY subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2020, 02:57 am »
I would think a pair of SB1000 or 2000 would be a good match.
A pair of REL Ti series would definitely work with the Special 40s.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2020, 05:42 am »

Tone Audio issue 104 has an unbiased revue of the REL S/510. Your room size determines sub size or how many would be optimal. I have a REL G2 in a medium sized room and it is perfect with my fast speakers, gotta love the remote too.
https://www.tonepublications.com/magazine/issue-104/

All the reviews I have read comparing both REL and SVS mention the REL is much faster for music and the SVS does great home theater.

The Rythmik/GR Research DIY sub may be the closest to a REL.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2020, 02:42 pm »
Personally I'd rather have 2 (or 3) $1,500 ($1,000) subs than 1 $3000 sub; I'm sure they would fill the same room.
Remote could be handy if a person constantly fiddles with settings; once set I'm done and the remote would go in the shipping box.
YMMV IMO/E etc.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2020, 03:25 pm »
Yes, carefully placed multiple subwoofers is the way to go.  Read Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" to learn about inherent bass peaks/dips in residentially sized rooms. 

For music/speed most go for sealed subwoofers.  Rythmik L12 is sealed, servo controlled, goes down to 18 Hz (-3 dB), is compact, and sells for $559 USD (free shipping in the lower 48). 

For more connections/features look at PreSonus T10 ported subwoofers, goes down to 20 Hz, is relatively compact, and sells for $429 each.

I use 3 subs in my 8ft x 13ft x 21ft room (two are T10's) and they offer plenty of performance. 

cameraman

« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2020, 07:12 pm »
Just in the research phase and if this is even a task I want to undertake. Currently have Dynaudio Special 40’s and a SVS PB1000, i’ve often felt like the PB 1000just can’t keep up with the dynaudio‘s. I just watched a video from GR research that talked about subwoofer speed and how that’s really more discussion of Fidelity. The PB1000 just doesn’t come close to matching the fidelity of the Dyn, SVS subwoofer matching tool goes right to their PB/SB 16 and Rels goes right to the G1. I’m assuming these two companies know more bass this than I do and they are recommending flagship subs to match my speakers, I know my ears and I think I agree.

Are there DIY subwoofer projects they can give me significant SPL with the Fidelity of a high-quality subwoofer like SVS, Rel, HSU, Rythmic or similar? I would be looking at a pair and adding amplification and DSP like a 2x4, already have a Umik-1

I just built a pair to work with my Dynaudio Contour 20's and they blend beautifully while also handling movies with slam when running my Preamp in Home Theater Bypass mode. They are only 13 inch, (measured as 12.6") but work perfect in a family room setting where larger enclosures would not look in place.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=171692.0

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 3 Nov 2020, 08:13 pm »
If you will use miniDSP then I HIGHLY recommend you build some PE UM18 subs.

See mine here