Just Ordered a pair of OHM Walsh 1000 speakers and am SUPER excited!

AvsFan

So I have been researching OHM speakers for the past few weeks. After reading multiple reviews and a couple of conversations with Evan at OHM, I took the plunge!
Super customer service so far. Everything made and done right there in Brooklyn. But hes sending me finish samples via mail so I can actually see what they really look like.   
But from everything I have read, it's a real epiphany and astounding type of listening experience. Can't wait. I am looking at around January sometime, so a little wait but everything is built to order and customization.

https://ohmspeaker.com/speakers/walsh-tall/#wt-1000

https://ohmspeaker.com/site/assets/files/2408/walsh_1000.pdf

dB Cooper

Report back. I had hoped to hear them a couple years ago at Capital Audiofest-well, I did her them, along with 2 other systems playing simultaneously within crosstalk range- impossible to make even a 'show conditions' type judgment. Some day I hope to hear an adequate demo.

AvsFan

Report back. I had hoped to hear them a couple years ago at Capital Audiofest-well, I did her them, along with 2 other systems playing simultaneously within crosstalk range- impossible to make even a 'show conditions' type judgment. Some day I hope to hear an adequate demo.

For sure.

Jumpin

Owner of Ohm loudspeakers for 20+ years.  And, had many other brands to compare them to.  The sound is excellent.  The omni-directional element gives you great sound anywhere in the room, which I can't say for conventional speakers, and, they are very easy to place.  Enjoy.   

mick wolfe

I've had a pair of 1000's for several years. The only speaker I've had in my small listening room that totally "works" in this small environment. ( the Ohm room volume chart seems to be quite accurate in this case) Very natural presentation that's more akin to what one hears when listening to a live event. I'd say the voicing of the 1000 is also one of its strong suits. Enjoyable from about any listening position and capable of fairly robust volume levels when given enough clean power. FWIW, I supplement with a single REL T-2.

NeilBlanchard

There have been a couple of rave reviews of the 2000's that are of the last speaker you will ever need variety. And I would love to hear them. Give us a full report, please!

SlushPuppy

The first audiophile system I ever heard was at a small store in Valparaiso, Indiana around 1980/1981. They had Ohm loudspeakers powered by a Carver amplifier (I think it was Carver). It sounded awesome! The sound really opened my ears to something I didn't know existed in my Technics receiver world  :thumb:

TomS

The first audiophile system I ever heard was at a small store in Valparaiso, Indiana around 1980/1981. They had Ohm loudspeakers powered by a Carver amplifier (I think it was Carver). It sounded awesome! The sound really opened my ears to something I didn't know existed in my Technics receiver world  :thumb:
I worked at a store in Ft. Wayne way back then, and sold Ohm F's with McIntosh separates. Very nice

DavidS

I had some little Meridian omnis for a while - they were spooky for imaging and floating non directional sound.  These were toys (computer speakers) compared to your 1000s.  Plus Harry Bosch has Ohms with his McIntosh amp - always playing cool west coast jazz in this great tv series.  I have thought about them in my small room - look forward to your reports.

NeilBlanchard

This thread needs a PICTURE!

Doublej

There have been a couple of rave reviews of the 2000's that are of the last speaker you will ever need variety. And I would love to hear them. Give us a full report, please!

They may be the last speaker you ever need, but will they be the last speaker you ever want?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Glad to see a loudspeaker manufacturer who considers the room when designing.

AvsFan

Absolutely! And designing a speaker that sounds best without room treatments! A lot of us don't have the luxury of a room to do whatever we please with to make our speakers sound their best. This is what started me on this journey in the first place. I have a 12x10 office with 8 foot ceilings. I spend 8+ hours a day in here. SO I decided to start building a nice two channel set up, all for me! I got serious about it when I bought  pair of Magnepan LRS's. Well as we all know, Maggie's are VERY room dependent and placement is key for them to sound their best. I finally got them sounding great but they were 4+ feet out into the room. And in a 12x10 room, that doesn't work for me. Even though I loved the sound, but the look and feng shui of the room was not working. So I posted a thread about speakers that worked well close to walls. Omega's got mentioned. Gave those a try with some SET amps. Made me realize, that kind of set up is not my cup of tea. I like dynamics, and that visceral and palpable punch of bigger power and larger drivers.
Why nobody mentioned OHM's in that thread was beyond me. I presently have a pair of Dirty Weekends in here, which sound freaking GREAT! And they are fairly close to the walls. But I really want to see, or hear what these OHM's are all about.

Phil A

I use a pair of Ohm Microwalsh Talls in a spare system.  Really like them.

Doheth

Absolutely! And designing a speaker that sounds best without room treatments! A lot of us don't have the luxury of a room to do whatever we please with to make our speakers sound their best. This is what started me on this journey in the first place. I have a 12x10 office with 8 foot ceilings. I spend 8+ hours a day in here. SO I decided to start building a nice two channel set up, all for me! I got serious about it when I bought  pair of Magnepan LRS's. Well as we all know, Maggie's are VERY room dependent and placement is key for them to sound their best. I finally got them sounding great but they were 4+ feet out into the room. And in a 12x10 room, that doesn't work for me. Even though I loved the sound, but the look and feng shui of the room was not working. So I posted a thread about speakers that worked well close to walls. Omega's got mentioned. Gave those a try with some SET amps. Made me realize, that kind of set up is not my cup of tea. I like dynamics, and that visceral and palpable punch of bigger power and larger drivers.
Why nobody mentioned OHM's in that thread was beyond me. I presently have a pair of Dirty Weekends in here, which sound freaking GREAT! And they are fairly close to the walls. But I really want to see, or hear what these OHM's are all about.

Interesting.  I'm also looking into a home office 2 channel setup, so I'll be interested to read how it works out for you.

What kind of amp are you planning to use?  The same thing as with the Dirty Weekends?  (Those and the Tekton Lores are also very interesting to me :) )

How close will you be to the speakers?  Would you consider it near field?  IE, within feet or so?

genjamon

Having heard Mick’s Ohms a bunch of times, I can attest that they sound great in a small room environment. And as he and I both own Zu DW’s, I know why those guys can do too. Just in terms of managing expectations, I would not go into this experiment expecting Zu level dynamics. Sorry, just ain’t gonna happen with those Ohms. But they will excel at a huge open soundstage that is very natural and fairly dynamic, but nowhere near the level of dynamics of the Zu. In addition, the soundstage will be way less seating-position intensive than the Zu. I find my Zu have an incredibly narrow sweet spot if you want the speakers to truly disappear. You won’t have that problem with the Ohms.

Don_S

AvsFan,

Has the eagle landed? Please report back when you have your speakers. I am interested in the Super Sound Cylinders but return shipping costs from the opposite coast prevent me from trying them.

AvsFan

AvsFan,

Has the eagle landed? Please report back when you have your speakers. I am interested in the Super Sound Cylinders but return shipping costs from the opposite coast prevent me from trying them.

The Eagle crashed and burned. I cancelled the order. I decided to stick with my original plan and have two systems in one room. The OHM's wouldn't have allowed for that. So I have been enjoying my new Quad S2's for two weeks now and absolutely LOVE them! I am glad I went this route, my custom ZU's are being finished right now, should hopefully have them in the next few weeks.

dB Cooper

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
I fondly remember my Allison Three's.  All in house drivers, unobtainium nowadays if you damaged a driver.  Gave them to my son who sold them.