Buchardt A500

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Buchardt A500
« on: 21 Sep 2020, 02:17 pm »
These are the active version of the acclaimed S400 with lots of useful features.  Here's a good review: 

https://darko.audio/2020/09/a-long-film-about-the-buchardt-audio-a500/

Helpful comparisons to LS50W and Elac ARB-51.  But you really need the hub to open up all the possibilities.  Wonder why the hub has 3 optical inputs, but only 1 coax, usb, HDMI (ARC), and analog (RCA) inputs?  Does Fletcher-Munson loudness correction -  something I've thought about for 40+ years.  DSP crossover also controls the performance and "health" of each driver.  The wireless connection (24 bits/96 kHz) works without a network and is WiSA certified, meaning it auto-confirms/corrects for transmission errors.  And the hub also offers unique room measurement/correction. 

The A500 is sealed and operates as a 3-way (for response down to 25 Hz, +/- 1.5 dB) or 2.5-way (for highest output) using what they call Master Tuning via a USB flash drive with future variations promised.  Of course it offers controlled directivity.  Each driver has it's own sub-enclosure and DAC.  The DSP aligns the rear facing driver with the front drivers and allows the tweeter to be placed above the mid/woofer unlike the S400. 

The A500 + hub cost $4400 USD (delivered) and they do have a 45 day audition (pay only 25 euro to return).  Isn't the ultimate in any one attribute but very close on many and should be very domestically compatible as several boxes are eliminated.  Overall a very sophisticated product.

RDavidson

Re: Buchardt A500
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2020, 04:15 pm »
Appears to be a lot of tech packed into those speakers ; A next-level product all around. I'll be keeping an eye out for reviews. Thanks for sharing.

ooheadsoo

sunnydaze

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2020, 04:31 pm »
Another review from ZeroFidelity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd7bIdN3-b4

Jon L

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2020, 09:56 pm »
I will have to listen for myself, but I retain a healthy amount of skepticism for heavily DSP-driven/corrected speaker systems.  Bass augmentation and flat frequency response isn't necessarily what some of us are looking for when powering 100+ dB sensitive horns with 2 SET watts...

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2020, 01:09 am »
 :D that speaker must be the most hi-tech speaker to date !  So many parts  :D

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2020, 12:39 pm »
Another review from ZeroFidelity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd7bIdN3-b4

Thanks for the heads up.  Additional information of interest from the video:

1.)  Soon to be introduced - parametric EQ, which frankly might present too many options for ordinary audiophiles.

2.)  The performance of the wirelessly hub versus use of a very good preamp is extremely close.  So save money on the preamp/interconnects. 

3.)  This product is still a moving target as new software continues to be developed.