BePure 2 + Tubes = HEAVEN

TKonrad.NOLA

BePure 2 + Tubes = HEAVEN
« on: 27 Mar 2023, 04:31 pm »
Swapped out my McIntosh MAC7200 for A Cary Audio Tube Integrated and I am beyond blown away.  I think I am officially a tube guy.  This sound is easily the best I have ever had in my home.

artofaudio

Re: BePure 2 + Tubes = HEAVEN
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2023, 05:18 pm »
I could not agree more.  I’ve an SLI-80 fully optioned with KT-120 tubes paired with a DMS-700 on BEATS. The tone is amazing and I’ve tried different amps but I keep coming back to this combo.  I will try this combo on the BE-1’s when they arrive. 

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2023, 05:32 pm »
I could not agree more.  I’ve an SLI-80 fully optioned with KT-120 tubes paired with a DMS-700 on BEATS. The tone is amazing and I’ve tried different amps but I keep coming back to this combo.  I will try this combo on the BE-1’s when they arrive.

I have the SLI-80HS with the stock tubes.  Haven't even thought about tube rolling.  I have no idea where to begin.

artofaudio

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2023, 06:29 pm »
Cary shipped mine with Tung Sol KT-120 upon my request.  I traded in a Cary si3002d integrated which was very good, but the SLI-80 is better to me.  Are your streaming or using vinyl?

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2023, 10:05 pm »
Cary shipped mine with Tung Sol KT-120 upon my request.  I traded in a Cary si3002d integrated which was very good, but the SLI-80 is better to me.  Are your streaming or using vinyl?

BOTH.  Digital through an Aurender A200 and  Dr Feickert Volare table with a Zesto Audio tube phonostage.

DFpritchard

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2023, 04:13 pm »
I have the BePure2s driven by a Mark Levinson No. 585, an integrated amp similar to your MA7200 in terms of specs.  Hard to believe switching to the Cary was that much 'better', as opposed to being different.  Can you share what you hear that makes the Cary better than the McIntosh?  I note that the Cary is about half the price of the 7200.

I have thought about tubes, especially the Raven Avian series, but opted for the simplicity (no bias adjusting, no temptations about tube rolling) of transistors.  What am I missing?

Thanks.  Enjoy those spectacular BePure2s!

Jon L

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2023, 07:20 pm »
Hard to believe switching to the Cary was that much 'better', as opposed to being different. 

I own multiple tube amps myself, but Stereophile measured this Cary amp to produce 3% harmonic distortion at its rated output of 40 watts, predominantly 2nd and 3rd harmonic.  Tube distortion can be a pleasant thing...

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2023, 07:56 pm »
I am not using Salks right now in my main system (I do have Wow1's in my office) but I have owned a few and am a fan so I like to follow the discussions here. If I had BePure 2's I would totally be trying a tube amp as they seem like a relatively easy load for a decent tube amp. I've used Primaluna and Line Magnetic (as well as some other brands) with Salks before and both sounded amazing. I have yet to hear a solid state amp sound better. I feel like tube amps just bring more texture and life to the sound, which I've accounted to the even order harmonics as well as the tube amps maybe having a lower damping factor. When I've used solid state amps they sound organized, controlled, but not as natural or as alive. Not that they sound bad, I've had some that sound great, but whenever I go back to tubes it's a totally different feel. I think back to the first time I heard a tube amp the feeling I had was that I was in the music, not just hearing the music. Once I felt that I've been a tube guy ever since even though I've continually tried some great solid state amps.

js1955

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2023, 03:05 pm »
........ What am I missing?

A lot!    :icon_lol:

(Read abd1's post directly above.  He nails it.)   :thumb:

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2023, 07:02 pm »
I have the BePure2s driven by a Mark Levinson No. 585, an integrated amp similar to your MA7200 in terms of specs.  Hard to believe switching to the Cary was that much 'better', as opposed to being different.  Can you share what you hear that makes the Cary better than the McIntosh?  I note that the Cary is about half the price of the 7200.

I have thought about tubes, especially the Raven Avian series, but opted for the simplicity (no bias adjusting, no temptations about tube rolling) of transistors.  What am I missing?

Thanks.  Enjoy those spectacular BePure2s!

Let me just say better to my ears.  Might not be better to others.  To me I hear a bigger fuller sound.  I'm using the Cary in triode mode which is only 40wpc and I don't find myself having to go as high on the dial to get that big sound.  there are a few things i know for sure after playing around with gear over the years.  I prefer paper cones over aluminum.  They seem to sound more natural, less analytical to my ears.  I feel the same way about the music this Cary makes.  I am NOT a measurements guy, i just go by what i like and I like this enough to move an 8K receiver to a 2nd system.

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2023, 07:05 pm »
I am not using Salks right now in my main system (I do have Wow1's in my office) but I have owned a few and am a fan so I like to follow the discussions here. If I had BePure 2's I would totally be trying a tube amp as they seem like a relatively easy load for a decent tube amp. I've used Primaluna and Line Magnetic (as well as some other brands) with Salks before and both sounded amazing. I have yet to hear a solid-state amp sound better. I feel like tube amps just bring more texture and life to the sound, which I've accounted to the even order harmonics as well as the tube amps maybe having a lower damping factor. When I've used solid-state amps they sound organized, controlled, but not as natural or as alive. Not that they sound bad, I've had some that sound great, but whenever I go back to tubes it's a totally different feel. I think back to the first time I heard a tube amp the feeling I had was that I was in the music, not just hearing the music. Once I felt that I've been a tube guy ever since even though I've continually tried some great solid state amps.

My sentiments exactly.   ......organized and controlled, but not as natural or as alive.......  Don't get me wrong, I love the MAC so much I couldn't bring myself to do away with it but things sound just a little sweeter to me right now with these tubes.

artofaudio

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2023, 11:47 pm »
It’s something about Cary that gets the tone right. This is probably true for most good tube amplifiers.  I’ve tried some reputable solid state amps since having the Cary with better dynamics and bass, but I keep coming back.  It sounds more like a real instrument to me. I may try Soulnote and Kora amps in the near future.  One of the best solid state amps I’ve heard is the Norma. It’s fantastic.

DFpritchard

« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2023, 05:03 pm »
I like to experiment and learn so swapped out the Levinson 585 for a used Ayon Audio Spirit 3.  The Spirit 3 is an integrated amplifier operating in Class A that can be used in either triode (40 wpc) or pentode (65 wpc) mode.  I have tried both, don't hear any difference, so use it in pentode mode.  Power tubes are four Tung-Sol KT-150.  I have had the Spirit about a week, listening to vocals, chamber pieces, orchestral, organ, live recordings of old rock.  There is evidently some synergy between the BePure2 and tube amplification.  I don't know if this is due to the Purifi drivers, the beryllium tweeter, the cross-over design or the combination of these things in Jim's cabinet construction approach.  The result is that the music sounds more organic, more live to my ears than the 585.  The Ayon does what the Levinson did very well (soundstage, mids and bass)) but more so.  This is evident at low listening volumes (70 dB at my listening point) but really comes to life at higher volumes (95+ dB) to the point of reproducing live concert-like presentation.  Listening to recordings of concerts I attended takes me back in ways the Levinson didn't.   

Agree with the other commentators that, if you own BePureX, try tubes.   

artofaudio

« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2023, 09:11 pm »
Has anyone tried Canor, Kora or Audio Hungary Qualition tube amps with the BE pure speakers?  I’m taking a hard look at these brands as well as Soulnote which is a transistor amp.

Rshorb

« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2023, 03:59 am »
I couldn’t agree more. I’m using a Mcgary Audio SA-1E with JJ Kt 88’s. This amp and speaker combo are just amazing. Going from some 350wpc mono blocks, I figured I would give up some low bass and control. Nope this combo is flat out amazing and could not recommend enough.

artofaudio

« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2023, 07:46 pm »
@ Rshorb,

I heard a similar combo at Axpona last year.  Stunning combo!

Rshorb

« Reply #16 on: 30 Apr 2023, 09:58 pm »
It absolutely is.

Labguy68

« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2023, 04:34 pm »
@T.conrad.nola which model of Cary amp do you have?

Labguy68

« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2023, 04:36 pm »
@TKonrad.NOLA, what model of Cary amp do you have?

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #19 on: 11 May 2023, 12:47 am »
SLI-80HS. I use it in Triode mode.  Sounds amazing.