12" drivers

JeffB

12" drivers
« on: 2 Apr 2013, 11:48 pm »
I have been thinking for a while about buying a super 3.
Somewhere on this board I read that you were planning a box that would go below the super 3 with a 12" driver.
Is this intended to pair with the 3T or the 3E?
How will the two boxes mate up?
I have been dying for some news about this, but I guess its just not ready yet.

Louis O

Re: 12" drivers
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2013, 11:16 pm »
Hi JeffB,

Many thanks for your post and great to hear about you interest in the Super 3 T or E.
Your correct about the 12 project and the driver is an Omega driver that I will have made. Working on prototypes and looks like I'm getting very close with it.

The system would be a great accessory to the Super 3 series standmounts.

Just place the super 3 E or T on top of them and connect the jumper cable.

The 12 woofer cabinets will have a 2 way cross over and 2 sets of binding posts. The binding posts are the inputs from the amp and the second set will be connected to the high pass section of the cross over inside the cabinet and the jumper would connect to this set of binding posts to the Super 3's on top.

Working on the cross over setting now as well and it will be well below 1000 Hz.

Thanks,
Louis

almonduck

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2013, 11:53 pm »
Louis,

The two box design sound really interesting.  Do get an idea of how much room they'd need, do you know what size of the bottom 12" driver cabinets will be and how much space needed behind them that you'd recommend?

Tony

Louis O

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2013, 11:07 pm »
Hi Tony,

They don't need a huge amount of room and working on a few different size cabinets. The one decision is whether to go active. I'm exploring the idea of having the 12 powered as well as making the system a bit more compact. I like the control and versatility that you can have this way with a powered section.

This driver and tuning will be fast. The bass will have no overhang. This setup makes it viable to use MultiPoint on top if you like.

Thanks again,
Louis

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2013, 09:25 am »
Louis,

What will F3 be on the 12 inch based speaker?

Could this be a crossover product with Hoyt-Bedford?

Will the width match the 3T and 3E?

Is your intention for it to be a "bass augmenter" (high F3), or subwoofer for music (F3 around 30 Hz), or subwoofer for music and HT (lower F3)?  Years ago I met you at the Midwest Audiofest and your smaller offerings (at the time Fostex FE127 based I believe) struck me as ideal candidates for subwoofer integration.  Had a Fried setup 30+ years ago made up of a LS3/5a clone with large passive mass loaded transmission line (MLTL) bass cabinets used as stands (114 dB at 17 Hz, too much for any residentially sized room but sounded magnificent in a chapel).  Also enjoyed a similar but much more modest setup ("Gini" - LS3/5a clone with passive MLTL bass cabinet) a few years back and it loaded the room very nicely like almost no other regardless of cost at another audiofest.

Hoping you decide to go active (take load off small amps, allow more flexible locations using 3rd party wireless connections).

Have you looked into Floyd E. Toole's "Sound Reproduction" where he explains how bass waves propagate in rooms and the need for multiple (ideally 3 or 4) subs?  His theories would support separate sub cutoff around 140 Hz for most rooms.  Of course the THX standard is 80 Hz which is also the upper limit most recommend that the ear cannot localize.  A couple of others here/around AC promote this "swarm" concept of multiple subs.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2013, 09:46 pm »
Subs are going to be my next upgrade.

I have a 10" sealed sub that augments my Super 3 XRS, but I'd like to go with two 12" subs and change the output caps on one of the two outputs of my preamp to provide a 1st order high pass filter at ~50-60 Hz.

Louis O

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jun 2013, 11:08 pm »
Hi JLM,

I remember and that was my first show. They put me in a room the size of a barn. It was huge and I have never had a room that big at any show since. I had was playing mostly 4.5" driver based speakers at that show. It was a great deal of fun and was great meeting you.

The speakers you heard would be great with subs. I have since made a bunch of combos with subs and 4.5" based speakers with Fostex and my own drivers.

I will have a few different 12" drivers and the one I am working on is more along the lines of a Augmenter and will go to about 30Hz. It's cast frame, fibercone and accordion surround. I will be offering a 12" and a 10" subwoofer in my DIY line and I will build using these as well. These will go lower. For this project I'm looking at speed. I have a very interesting cabinet design that I'm working on right now too.

I do like active for the bottom and you're right about taking the load off the amps. I also like active x over on the bottom too.

I never heard the Frieds , but have heard very good things. I actually have a customer now that has a set and is getting Super 3S's for another system. The Gini is a great value in LS3/5A and work very well with bass cabs.

I'm in favor of the swarm concept and have made a few systems and would like to go into further development with subs. With the new drivers we will have many choices. .
Thanks,
Louis

Louis O

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jun 2013, 11:10 pm »
Hi Dave,

Great way to go and I will have the parts if you want to build your own or we can make cab's. Two 12's will be great.

I look forward to building larger systems right now.

Thanks,
Louis