Jim W.

Why Fostex in Omegas and not Lowther?
« on: 14 Jan 2004, 07:54 pm »
Just curious... :?

Brad

« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2004, 08:12 pm »
Gotta be cost mainly, right?

A pair of Fostex runs from $50-160 depending on the model, while the Lowthers start at about $600/pr.

Just my guess......

Bwanagreg

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2004, 08:51 pm »
Lowthers aren't generally considered good for bass reflex enclosures, although there are a few folks that do this. Unless Louis wants to get into building horn cabinets (for many more $$$)  I don't think Lowthers would be a good choice. Look at the price of the Cain and Cain horn speakers with Fostex drivers and you get a sense of how expensive a horn/Lowther combination would be!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2004, 01:50 am »
Louis has stated as his goal to offer affordable, compact speakers for SET amp lovers.  Efficient and affordable Fostex drivers fit that bill.  Bass reflex is also smaller and less expensive to build.  

Conventional wisdon says that the Qt of Lowther drivers is too low for bass reflex.  David Dicks at Classic Audio is the only vendor I know who tries Lowther in bass reflex.  I heard of guys who, with even fussing can get wonderful sound, but I've seen his cabinets and they're very poorly braced.

rosypup

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2004, 01:59 am »
I don't know Louis's reason why.  But I can imagine why myself.

Seems to me that fostex is potentially a better driver all around than lowthers.  Lowthers are a mixed blessing.  sure they are a bit more detailed than fostex.  but the lowther quack or whatever it is called can drive someone nuts.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2004, 08:51 pm »
Reportedly Lowthers have a emphasize between 2,000 and 4,000 Hz.  The EX drivers are supposed to have taken care of much of that.

IMO they're actually too detailed, it's hyper reality and soon overloads my brain.  I can't take in the tonal and imaging qualities with so much detail presented.

Louis O

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2004, 01:05 pm »
Hi Jim W,

Every one pretty much read my mind on this one and the posts were very accurate. Brad is right. The biggest reason is the cost. The Fostex drivers fit my price points very well. I want to keep the cost as low as i can and the Fostex drivers let me do this.

I have heard other drivers including the Supravox and I still come back to the Fostex. In terms of sound, price and amazing build quality, they are hard to beat.

Greg and JLM are right about Lowthers being better loaded in backhorns than BR. The Lowthers are not suited for BR and they have that shout rosypup mentioned which is very hard to tame.

Many thanks,
Louis