LS-6 Perspective from my week with them

arthurs

Re: LS-6 Perspective from my week with them
« Reply #40 on: 19 Dec 2006, 02:31 pm »
Listening experience in the room, myself and others comments included, with the LS-6 mirrors Danny's comments.  I don't do much listening standing up or moving around, so these are not significant concerns in my situation....YMMV

We had about 8 people listen this past Sunday and I'll have their comments posted tonight, which also include some observations on these questions....although if my memory serves they are all consistent with this....

Ettepet

« Reply #41 on: 20 Dec 2006, 11:34 am »
Moving to the left or right of the sweet spot still gives you good sound stage and has less of the effect of sitting in front of a speaker with the sound coming right out of the speaker. Still the best three dimensional sound stage will be heard from the center seat.

Increasing your vertical listening height has little to no effect until your ear level reaches the top or bottom tweeter. Then the highs will begin to drop out. It's a physical limitation of all line sources. The effect is slightly less the further back that you are, but you still want to stay closer to the middle sections of the array if possible.

I hope this is not too much of a topic hijack, as part of the reason I asked about being close(r) to the speakers was because of the following:

I am in the lucky position of being an RSL II beta tester.  I also very much appreciate the qualities I hear about your LS6/9 design, and would like to use those for music and HT next to the RSL II's.

Because space and money is limited :( I might buy a pair and use those for surround/rear duty for the time being, waiting on the LS-center and -surrounds.  I can toe them in in a nice way so I can switch them to mains in the "2nd room"-mode while sitting elsewhere. aa

The front baffle of each will be about 5' away.  Would you strongly advice against using LS6/9's in such a way? (=as surrounds/rears)

Of course the fronts and surrounds/rears should sonically match also, but this is an interim thing.  I could also place them next to the RSL II's and use my RSS300's (or some RS850's) for the other channels.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #42 on: 20 Dec 2006, 01:56 pm »
I hope this is not too much of a topic hijack, as part of the reason I asked about being close(r) to the speakers was because of the following:

I am in the lucky position of being an RSL II beta tester.  I also very much appreciate the qualities I hear about your LS6/9 design, and would like to use those for music and HT next to the RSL II's.

Because space and money is limited :( I might buy a pair and use those for surround/rear duty for the time being, waiting on the LS-center and -surrounds.  I can toe them in in a nice way so I can switch them to mains in the "2nd room"-mode while sitting elsewhere. aa

The front baffle of each will be about 5' away.  Would you strongly advice against using LS6/9's in such a way? (=as surrounds/rears)

Of course the fronts and surrounds/rears should sonically match also, but this is an interim thing.  I could also place them next to the RSL II's and use my RSS300's (or some RS850's) for the other channels.

I don't think you will want to be 5' away from the big line arrays.  In that type of setup, you would not be maximizing your investment and fully taking advantage of the speakers.  I would suggest going with a different speaker choice that works within your parameters.

George

Danny Richie

« Reply #43 on: 20 Dec 2006, 03:09 pm »

I don't know what a RSL II is, but I guess you could easily order a pair of LS-6 or LS-9 and compare.

5 feet away is way too close for a LS-6 or LS-9. I go a different route for surrounds in your application.