Let's see your OB SW-12-16FR GR Research builds! (And plans for my own)

Danny Richie

WOW  :o :o
All that machined aluminum is beautiful (I'd like to see it in a high gloss machined finish).  By chance,  is Matt over at Aluminati doing the machining ?
Was there any resonance issue(s) with the aluminum you had to deal with ?
Any chance these will be ready for Serenity to show off at RMAF ?

Very cool

-jay

These would be fun and RMAF and show stoppers for sure, but I'm just not seeing the market for a speaker at this price range at RMAF.

Danny Richie

I understand you wanted to extend the low frequency response of the 10s hence the wing....but the whole thing looks rather asymmetrical, clunky and industrial.  Don't care for the feet at all.  When people buy things this expensive (I imagine at least $60,000?) then how it looks is really important.  The Radia FS880 is slim and symmetrical with nice outriggers at the bottom.  Way nicer look.  Maybe black anodizing would help.

It can't help but be asymmetrical because of the drivers. And there is really no other way for this to work. And most people really love the look. And the FS880 really doesn't work. There is a hole in the response between the Neo 10's and the woofers. The Neo 10's won't play down low enough in that design. I have already been helping FS880 owners retrofit a wing down one side to make them work. 

jparkhur

I understand you wanted to extend the low frequency response of the 10s hence the wing....but the whole thing looks rather asymmetrical, clunky and industrial.  Don't care for the feet at all.  When people buy things this expensive (I imagine at least $60,000?) then how it looks is really important.  The Radia FS880 is slim and symmetrical with nice outriggers at the bottom.  Way nicer look.  Maybe black anodizing would help.

When I make mine it will have a really nice wood front finish (constrained layers for damping....bamboo/birch ply/ultra refined MDF/Green Glue) with nice outriggers at the bottom and the bass panel would also be wood with 6 8 inch servo woofs on it.  Both panels about 1 foot wide.  With a nice grill over the drivers and all that wood it would look pretty cool.  The grill comes off for listening (of course).

I don't get you Ric, always a debby downer... I call it how it is.....

JON

Still blahhhhhh     

« Last Edit: 5 May 2014, 03:51 pm by jparkhur »

Ric Schultz

"debby downer?"  Never heard that one before.  Hey, just giving my opinion (some people...me included, like to get feedback....thank you for yours).....I calls them as I see them as well.  I am a very positive guy, but I do see what can be done and love to educate people to possibilities.  As a manufacturer, I love to get feedback on any of my products or possible products (including how they look)....helps me to grow. Hey, my speaker protos are fugly! 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
"debby downer?"  Never heard that one before.  Hey, just giving my opinion (some people...me included, like to get feedback....thank you for yours).....I calls them as I see them as well.  I am a very positive guy, but I do see what can be done and love to educate people to possibilities.  As a manufacturer, I love to get feedback on any of my products or possible products (including how they look)....helps me to grow. Hey, my speaker protos are fugly!

It's an SNL skit.  Go to youtube and put in Debbie Downer....

jparkhur

Back to the track at hand..  I built a flat pack dual GR H Frame sub enclosure this weekend on the table saw.  Normal view, but I limited it to as few parts as possible.

All materials in 3/4 inch MDF at the time and not ready for sale.  Trying to simplify even more..
2 full side panels, to be glued
2 interior side pieces with screws to hold interior parts in place-plus glue
1 full length driver board
3 6 inch baffle dividers
2 (top and bottom piece)

All screws are covered by the outer solid pieces.  Just used the Super V to make it as few cuts as possible.  You can cut the driver holes with skill saw, but still need a router for the round overs...

All this can be stacked, packed and shipped with little volume and put together with glue, screws and two clamps...maybe three.
Possibilities are forming..  One full sheet of 8x4 3/4 mdf used. 

rajacat

• Washington State
That may be the worst sounding of all of them out there. There is some new stuff hitting the market that might be just the ticket. Hang in there. I'll see if I can get you some feedback on some new stuff.

Thanks for that. :) I don't have anything against passive crossovers but I'm thinking that going active might be an easier way for me to implement a crossover. I like the miniDSP because it's a relatively cheap way to get into crossover design. Some like it while others have complained about noise and bugs.
I don't have a parts pile to draw upon for experimenting with passives. Of course I'm very interested in getting the best possible sound so the quietest active available, at a reasonable price, would be the best way to go.
Maybe I'll try my hand at passive somewhere down the line.
I like the idea of bi-amping so that I can force the TD15Ms' to play lower than the winISD sealed box configuration predicts. The TD15M's can handle a lot of power so combined with room gain, I can go low enough without having to build a huge vented box. My sealed box is ~3.5 cu ft. Winisd suggests that a vented box should be at least 5.8cu ft. I will be running a swarm of subs.

...Roy

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
1st order networks won't work with those drivers. If it would, I'd sure be using them.

That would actually cause a lot of problems. The off axis response in the horizontal plane would fall off too quick, and the AMT wouldn't be able to play down low enough to fill the gap. And the added surface area would disrupt the response of those drivers by a LOT. And it would image like an in-wall.

Tyson, just buy a pair of the Super-7's. I'll make you a deal.

Good to know about the AMT.  Since I have the Neo3's already, I'll just stick with them.

I would have considered buying the Super 7's, but I've accumulated most of the parts for them already.  I have the 4 woofers, the 2 plate amps, both Neo3 tweeters, and 4 of the Neo10 mids.  I'll have the other 4 Neo10 by the time we are settled in our new home. Plus, I really like the process of building things myself. 

Captainhemo

Back to the track at hand..  I built a flat pack dual GR H Frame sub enclosure this weekend on the table saw.  Normal view, but I limited it to as few parts as possible.

All materials in 3/4 inch MDF at the time and not ready for sale.  Trying to simplify even more..
2 full side panels, to be glued
2 interior side pieces with screws to hold interior parts in place-plus glue
1 full length driver board
3 6 inch baffle dividers
2 (top and bottom piece)

All screws are covered by the outer solid pieces.  Just used the Super V to make it as few cuts as possible.  You can cut the driver holes with skill saw, but still need a router for the round overs...

All this can be stacked, packed and shipped with little volume and put together with glue, screws and two clamps...maybe three.
Possibilities are forming..  One full sheet of 8x4 3/4 mdf used.

John, Danny,
Would  1" MDF be thick enough for the side panels of an H frame   ?   
If so,  a  guy could  cut  1/2" deep dado's  both  vertically and horizxontally in the side panels to receive the baffle and  baffle seperators/dividers .  I'd think it would be simpler for assembly and also  reduces  pieces to ship.
I'm not sure  how available it is, but I remember Ruben once mentioned he had  been suing some 1.5" MDF,  that would be  perfect .

Still planning on building  an H frame to go with my OB7's, hopefully  this summer.  Been thinking  about  the best way of buiilding it.
Noted on the  Super V plans that the  baffle seperators are staggered from front to back,  is there any reason   hwy they can't be  aligned   to make the  final  space  for  each driver 13" x 6.5" front and back ?
Keep us posted onthe flat packs John

-jay

jparkhur

From me only:

It is tough to source 1 inch good mdf or baltic.  Also, the point of my build was to provide no routing etc and provide a product that everyone can buy or build cheaply and still have a great finished product.  I needed just a table saw (could of used a cut saw) and etc.   You could route, but more work, and I can hid the screws behind the extra 3/4 and make it stronger on the sides.

Hope this helps. 

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
I'm not sure  how available it is, but I remember Ruben once mentioned he had  been suing some 1.5" MDF,  that would be  perfect .

The thickest I can get is 1 1/4" dual-refined MDF.

Here's a pair of simple OB 12" servo sub enclosures that I built using 1 1/2" MDF. Unfortunately, I ran out of that material a while ago and no longer have access to it.

Finished.

Ruben

Jonathon Janusz

Tyson, good luck with you project.  For what it is worth, I think we're on the same wavelength in regards to taste in "slam" in the lower mids.  The only planar type speakers I've heard that came close for me in that regard were the big King Electrostats, and even those (in this specific regard) were not even close to a match for even my cobbled together Super-V coaxes in open air. 

The LS-X with the Doddzillas were in the ballpark, but lost that specific "brand" of magic for me when the battery amps got switched in.  I only heard the S-7's with the battery amps, so maybe just a tube rolling exercise or maybe they just need more power to sing like I like?  This fine point is really one of my personal moving targets for "greatest speaker EVAR!"  After playing with the V's, and hearing a demo of the bigger BMS coaxials, and hearing AJ's 1812, I think this specific point is something that the big pro-sound drivers just do "right".

Danny, if you're still working on the Serenity Line Force, please do whatever you have to do (stack a couple prebuilt doubles on end or whatever) to try them out with an array of six servo 12's on a side.  I mean what I said last year with the LS-X's; I really think getting a line-source wave launch nearing matched sensitivity from the bass modules (and the associated increase in headroom with the same powered servo amps) needs to happen to get the whole speaker "there".  At the price point the Line Force will likely take up, half a dozen servo drivers and an upgrade to the big dual channel amps I don't really think is too far a stretch for the reward.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Personally, I think those speakers look amazing :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: I would love a speaker like that especially made out of aluminum.

Greg

Architect7

• Sound Quality Addict
That may be the worst sounding of all of them out there. There is some new stuff hitting the market that might be just the ticket. Hang in there. I'll see if I can get you some feedback on some new stuff.

Keep us posted!  I am losing sleep over the lack of prosumer gear and the proaudio offerings are infinite with lots of reliability issues.  I am *this* close to just using a Clarion DRZ-9255 with optical input mod.

DHawthorne

• Industry Participant
    • HawthorneAudio
Actually that unit pictured there is here at GR Research right now. I just designed a crossover for it. That is an incredible tweeter.

We are also working on a shorter version that I plan to use with some new kits (X-Otica, X-Optima, X-Streme....). Hawthorne Audio may be offering them as well.

Hey Guys,
 I would like to publicly acknowledge and thank Danny for his work on this crossover as well as this nice compliment on the new Model 700 AMT drivers.  Danny did an outstanding job stitching our two drivers together.  We have several new and exciting projects in the works and very much look forward to working with Danny.

Thanks,
Darrel  :D

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
The thickest I can get is 1 1/4" dual-refined MDF.

Here's a pair of simple OB 12" servo sub enclosures that I built using 1 1/2" MDF. Unfortunately, I ran out of that material a while ago and no longer have access to it.

Ruben

I still kinda want one of those cabinets but for dual 8 inchers.  My apartment just isn't big enough for 12's.  :bawl:

Danny Richie

Hey Darrel,

Welcome to AC.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
We have several new and exciting projects in the works

Thanks,
Such as?

Architect7

• Sound Quality Addict
Oh wow, this thread got bigger than I expected! :D

So I am considering replacing the CSS XBL 8's in my line arrays with GR Research DS800's but I need to confirm the subwoofer enclosure volume with Al at RAW first:

I'm just so addicted to servo bass now thanks to my FV15HP.  Are there any plans for GR Research to make a car-audio friendly amps/servo subs?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Hey Guys,
 I would like to publicly acknowledge and thank Danny for his work on this crossover as well as this nice compliment on the new Model 700 AMT drivers.  Danny did an outstanding job stitching our two drivers together.  We have several new and exciting projects in the works and very much look forward to working with Danny.

Thanks,
Welcome to AC, my friend.  :thumb: