Maximizing the image of Omega 3 and 5

Alwayswantmore

Re: Maximizing the image of Omega 3 and 5
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jan 2010, 09:09 pm »
I'm a drummer, and depending on how the recording was engineered, I would say size and scale for percussion is very good on my Super 6 Monitors / Deep Hemp.

There are recordings where the vocalist is larger than life. And there are times the image of a solo trumpet, vocalist or sax can rise above the plane of the stage. I attribute this to engineering. It's actually kind of cool to hear even if it is not perfectly real.

The other big thing I love about my Alnicos and electronics is the tone. Every instrument has its unique tone / overtones. As good as any system I've heard (IMO). Lot's of body too, I think of it as an organic sound.

Never ceases to amaze me for the dollars invested.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 22 Jan 2010, 05:23 am »
Capt. Z,

Looking at the picture of your system and where it is located, it is no wonder your beautiful Omega's are struggling to give a large soundstage, or any soundstage at all.  Give them some space to breathe, and if that does not help, check into your upline components.  I run the new Super 5 monitors, new Deep Hemp sub, 2 w/ch Decware SE84c+ SET amp, Audio Zone DAC 1, fed with 16/44 files from a headless Mac Mini.  The sound stage is like nothing I have experienced in my 30 years in audio: deep, wide, open, and with beautiful positioning of the players on the stage.  Also, low level dynamics are incredible.

Rob 

Capt. Z

« Reply #22 on: 22 Jan 2010, 02:10 pm »
Hi Rob;

It's not so much about the localization in the soundstage, it's about the image size of some of the instruments. I did get pretty good localization with the Omegas, no matter where I placed them, though I was surprised that my 20 year old ACI Sapphire did a much better localization and audible disappearing job (with a lot less upper frequency extension). Detail was much better than the Sapphires. I could hear so much more detail with the Omegas, I was usually 'blown away' by it.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #23 on: 22 Jan 2010, 06:13 pm »
I notice that your Sapphires are placed much higher than the Omegas thereby above the most of the clutter. Perhaps you should raise the Omegas to an equal level.

It's odd that you complain about the Omegas' lack of image size. In fact I haven't heard that criticism by any others. :scratch: This makes me conclude its the room and/or placement not the speakers.

-Roy

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #24 on: 22 Jan 2010, 07:53 pm »
Took my Omegas to a friends house yesterday.

His room is much larger than mine.
He listens to music much louder and to a total different kind of music than I do.

The interesting thing was that the Omegas sounded MUCH better after the first song. It's like warming up your amp or CD player, except his amps were running all day long already.

So there is a warm up or loosening up period every time yo play those babies.

The difference I heard was mainly: getting fuller in sound and growing in image size.

So I guess my main issue is not giving the Omegas the requirements to sound their best.

No question about it. It IS your room limitations and setup, sorry. I own one of Louis's early models and Pippedreams. Needlessto say the Pipes have a larger soundstage and the like. However The Omegas although a smaler soudstage create a believeable size . The room sioze iskey IMo. You may consider the long wall with speakers no morethan 2feet from face of speaker to rear wall and about 7to 9 ft. apart toed in as required.
   Your couch and other furnishings areinhibiting the performance IMO. Give it a try if you can.

charles

PS Hey Lou long time no see, big time now eh. All my best

Capt. Z

« Reply #25 on: 22 Jan 2010, 08:05 pm »
The Omegas are off to a different room, let's hope that will make the needed difference.

drquad

« Reply #26 on: 8 Feb 2010, 06:07 pm »
The Omegas are off to a different room, let's hope that will make the needed difference.

I have found that Telefunken 6DJ8/ECC88 tubes in the preamp give a very large soundstage with Omega Super 3 Biploes and Super 3R (narrow baffle):

These tubes are usually characterized by an impressive open "air" at the top end. The soundstage is large, even in mono applications these tubes have a great 3-D image. The midrange is ruler flat, and the bass is tight and accurate. These tubes have a fine sense of dynamics, and most are impressively quiet. These are not "warm" tubes, and to some ears their lack of midrange warmth may be heard as bright. I tend to think of them as accurate, and their clean, focused sonic image is astonishing. My personal favorites.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #27 on: 8 Feb 2010, 08:10 pm »
I have found that Telefunken 6DJ8/ECC88 tubes in the preamp give a very large soundstage with Omega Super 3 Biploes and Super 3R (narrow baffle):

These tubes are usually characterized by an impressive open "air" at the top end. The soundstage is large, even in mono applications these tubes have a great 3-D image. The midrange is ruler flat, and the bass is tight and accurate. These tubes have a fine sense of dynamics, and most are impressively quiet. These are not "warm" tubes, and to some ears their lack of midrange warmth may be heard as bright. I tend to think of them as accurate, and their clean, focused sonic image is astonishing. My personal favorites.

What preamp? Are these NOS? If so, recommendations for year, etc. Thanks. Kent

drquad

« Reply #28 on: 9 Feb 2010, 04:15 pm »
What preamp? Are these NOS? If so, recommendations for year, etc. Thanks. Kent

I have the Fi Y preamp, however, any preamp should have the same improvement in sound with NOS Telefunken tubes - There are 5 types of 6DJ8 tubes in this group with <> marking at the bottom:

1. ECC88/6DJ8
2. E88CC (gold pin)
3. E188CC (gold pin)
4. CCa (gold pin)
5. CCa (old type)

The Bottlehead Foreplay III preamp will give you a very large soundstage even with cheap NOS Philips tubes.
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2010, 06:40 pm by drquad »