626r vs. Onix Ref 1 Review. Comments?.......

blkwrxwgn

« Reply #180 on: 9 Jun 2003, 09:39 pm »
Come on guys.  What kind of excuse is "your equipment doesn't match up right with the 626"????   It's the same system he used to listen to the Onix speaker also.  Was it the right match for the Ref 1's also???  I doubt it.  Mad Dog....it's a great setup that works for you.  

Using that excuse doesn't make sense to me.  So to do the best test we need to have two seperate source units that both match up best to the speaker it is driving?  I think the best test is to test the speakers with your existing equipment or the equipment you plan on using with the speakers.  If you are A/B testing them then they should each be done with the existing equipment.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #181 on: 9 Jun 2003, 09:54 pm »
If you're referring to the rec to use tubed equipment w/the 626R's, it just a simple fact that the 626R's sound better with tubes than they do with solid state (at least to my ears).  Doesn't have anything to do w/the Ref 1's. . .

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #182 on: 10 Jun 2003, 04:27 am »
There's ANOTHER NEW..........Ref1 vs. 626r vs. The World .....    SHOOT-OUT Review:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=268422

Of note, the 626r did fine but the cabinet finish was dinged (6th place out of 6).....

Mad DOg

« Reply #183 on: 16 Jun 2003, 10:42 pm »
Quote from: Tyson
If you're referring to the rec to use tubed equipment w/the 626R's, it just a simple fact that the 626R's sound better with tubes than they do with solid state (at least to my ears).  Doesn't have anything to do w/the Ref 1's. . .
Actually, the Ref 1s respond very nicely to tubed gear as well...Sotantar's integrated tube amp driving the Ref 1s once we made some adjustments to the placement was very nice...better than what I've heard coming out of most of the SS stuff i've tried w/ them...