Order of Importance of VMPS Upgrades?

TheeeChosenOne

« on: 21 May 2003, 10:37 pm »
There seems to be an amazing array of choices with which one can upgrade their stock VMPS speakers.

Given VMPS owners' experiences with upgrades, which ones would you recommend as the MOST IMPORTANT IMPOROVEMENT SONICALLY, in order of importance?

TRT?
FST Tweeter?
Auricap?
etc?.........

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2003, 10:53 pm »
IMHO, FST tweeter first, cap upgrades second.  If course cap upgrades are difficult to do "after" you have your speakers.  Just get both to start with.

Also, the "full wrap" veneer looks 1000% better than the black front/wood sides.  They go from ugly ducklings to actually being pretty attractive, IMO.  Not really an upgrade so much as a worthwhile expenditure.

jasonc

« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2003, 11:14 pm »
In order to save myself money in the long run.. as I see it (and possible self inflicted bruises) I ordered the 626s with the FST tweeter, auricaps, SC and full wrap piano black finish.  Also ordered custom built four post (baffled) Sound Anchor stands to go with them :mrgreen: .

Sedona Sky Sound

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2003, 12:44 am »
I will throw my personal bias into the ring (with a slant towards price/performance). Assuming we are talking about RM40s (so soundcoat and mega-woofers don't apply):

FST
wrap-around veneer upgrade (if you listen with grill off)
Auricap
Bi-wiring (with silver wire to highs and large guage copper to bass)
Exotic veneer upgrade (I tried to get Birch or Cherry Flambe for our showroom but was over-ruled by my wife who liked the lite oak  :?
Bi-amping
TRT

Of course, the two veneer options don't directly fit your request for "sonic improvement" but my experience shows that given two "things" (speakers, amps, cables, etc.) that are exactly the same, people will almost always say the better looking one sounds better.

Julian
www.sedonaskysound.com

John Casler

Re: Order of Importance of VMPS Upgrades?
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2003, 04:37 am »
Quote from: TheeeChosenOne
There seems to be an amazing array of choices with which one can upgrade their stock VMPS speakers.

Given VMPS owners' experiences with upgrades, which ones would you recommend as the MOST IMPORTANT IMPOROVEMENT SONICALLY, in order of importance?

TRT?
FST Tweeter?
Auricap?
etc?.........

Without a doubt it is the new FST tweeter.

If you want a further ranking as far as most sonic improvement it would look like this:

1) FST Tweeter
2) TRT caps
3) Auricaps
4) Solid Silver Wiring Upgrade
5) Sound Coat
6) Delete Toggle

As far as tweaks or after market improvements (in no particular order)

1) Run Jumpers between Binding posts with "toggle up"
2) Slightly tilt cabinet back to aim tweeter to ear level (RM1/RM2/RM40)
3) BiWire/BiAmp
4) Play with Grills OFF!!
5) Add Weight to your SUBWOOFERS to increase mass, and mechanical coupling
6) Add a beard to you 626Rs speaker stand
7) Use both monopoles and dipoles "stacked to make a tripole" for surrounds.
8 Wire/connect your system for an "Analog Two Channel" system first, then HT.
9) Properly converge your speakers (Brian likes a foot or so in front of you, I like directly "on axis") to taste and soundstage.
10) Adjust the putty for best bass
11) Adjust pots for best "balance"
12) Remeber electric power is generally "cleaner" after 6:00 PM, which means better, cleaner sound
13) This is improved if you shut off "all" un-nessessary electrical drain including lights, and other components.
14) listening in the dark or low light is "magic"
15) Learn where the "exact" sweet spot is and how to find it everytime
16) Do Not wear glasses when seriously listening (yes I'm serious)
17) Yawn to clear the Eustacian tubes and equalize inner ear pressure for better highs
18 Also listening with your head tilted slightly forward and down (as in looking at the floor will result in hearing an extended "high end"
19) Massage your external ear to improve blood flow and stiffness
20) I'm kidding about the last one :lol:   Gotcha :D

Anyhow I could tell you all my secrets, but then I'd have to kill you 8) (that's my CAI look -Central Audio Intelligence)

Juan R

« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2003, 05:43 am »
How difficult is the the fst to install. there is no diagram or info in the vmps website. I will like to change it, but to be honest I am not a electronic guy and dont want to damage my r-40. Any advice?

AVB

« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2003, 08:52 pm »
Julian,  Why do you have bi-amping, which has measureable benefit rated lower than bi-wire which has none?  How do you explain this?

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2003, 09:05 pm »
Quote from: jasonc
In order to save myself money in the long run.. as I see it (and possible self inflicted bruises) I ordered the 626s with the FST tweeter, auricaps, SC and full wrap piano black finish.  Also ordered custom built four post (baffled) Sound Anchor stands to go with them :mrgreen: .

Jason,

You'll be getting the first "custom bearded" Sound Anchors.  Let us know how they sound (or how they help the 626 sound).

For those who missed my first post about this:

Bob at Sound Anchors said he will "beard" either his 3 post or 4 post stands specifically for the 626R for only $30 a pair.

I am a dealer, I think Wayne is a dealer, and or, you can call Bob directly and he will know what you are talking about.

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2003, 09:42 pm »
What is the beard made of?  Does it look tacky?

Sa-dono

« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2003, 10:10 pm »
Quote from: John Casler

As far as tweaks or after market improvements (in no particular order)

19) Massage your external ear to improve blood flow and stiffness

Shouldn't that be have a hot girl in your lap? :lol: Best "tweak" in my mind...improves the listening experience immensely  :mrgreen:

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2003, 10:14 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
What is the beard made of?  Does it look tacky?

Hi Josh,

I heard Keiths Solos the other day and have to write up a report/review (been incredibly busy)  Very good sounding speakers.

But regarding the beard, Bob who runs Sound Anchors said he will make them from MDF and paint them to match the stands.  

They are secured to the front of the stands so the front edge of the speaker can be placed flush with the front of the beard.

John Casler

« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2003, 10:25 pm »
Shouldn't that be have a hot girl in your lap?  Best "tweak" in my mind...improves the listening experience immensely

You sound like the guy in the trailer for the new Movie "Italian Job" who says he wants speakers so big they blow girls clothes right off.

Brian is working on that, but hasn't got the un-buttoning part down yet....

They will be called Va-Va-VoooMPS :lol:

Sa-dono

« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2003, 10:43 pm »
Shouldn't that be have a hot girl in your lap?  Best "tweak" in my mind...improves the listening experience immensely

You sound like the guy in the trailer for the new Movie "Italian Job" who says he wants speakers so big they blow girls clothes right off.

Brian is working on that, but hasn't got the un-buttoning part down yet....

They will be called Va-Va-VoooMPS :lol:

Put me down on the preorder list!  :lol:

jasonc

« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2003, 12:53 am »
I'll be sure to post pics here once I get them.  I have an idea what they'll look like but that's about it.  If they improve the bass then I'll be happy.  If they don't prove to be an eyesore I'll be that much happier :P .

JoshK

« Reply #14 on: 23 May 2003, 02:18 pm »
An alternative to bearded stands....

Tyler Acoustic speaker stands are said to be really really nicely made.  About the same price as the ones in question here.

grub

« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2003, 07:27 pm »
I figured the Soundcoat would be near the top of the lists...I thought that 10db reduction of cabinet noise would be audible.

-->grub

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2003, 01:07 am »
Without a doubt it is the new FST tweeter.

If you want a further ranking as far as most sonic improvement it would look like this:

1) FST Tweeter
2) TRT caps

John
Do you agree with me that the FST's value is model-dependent?  I think the single tweeter models benefit more vs. the double tweeter models.  I compared the 40TRT HET & 40TRT spiral, & did not think the HET was great value.  Did you compare 40HET standard caps & 40 spiral/standard caps?