Are Omegas right for me?

jonsan

Are Omegas right for me?
« on: 30 Jan 2009, 12:07 am »
Hello, this is my first time here and I apologize in advance for the length of my post. For 15+ years I was very happy with  a pair of modified Quad ESL-63s, although there were times I wish they had a wee bit more bottom end. After the panels started going out for the second time, I decided to move onto something hopefully less fussy as to reliability while still giving the musical enjoyment the Quads gave.
I have since tried Vandersteen 2Ces, Martin Logan Areius, and now vintage Yamaha NS-1000 monitors (all highly regarded). I am not an audio reviewer and have a tough time articulating my dissatisfaction with the previously mentioned speakers but something is just "wrong" to me with each of them. I have a Well Tempered/Grado feeding a VAC Avatar integrated (2 EL34 per side, switchable between triode and UL).
In my perusings on the 'net I stumbled on the Omega products and something about their simplicity and point source nature seems very appealing to me, at least conceptually. Since it may be difficult to audition these personally I am hoping someone out there can steer me in the right direction. I primarily listen to rock, jazz, soundtracks. My system is used for stereo listening only (no video). I don't care about low organ notes or sounds of explosions, etc, but realistic vocals are very important to me, as well as defined bass guitar lines. I just want to enjoy music and am not into "listening" for specific elements of a disc. Long term reliabilty is also important. I don't want to get into upgrading anything else in my system - I have always had EL34 amps and plan to stick with these even though there may be better things out there.
With all that said, would the Omega 8" offerings be suitable/compatible for my tastes and equipment? Is there anyone out there that can offer any advice? I realize I am posting on an Omega forum so users may be a bit biased but any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ZLS

Re: Are Omegas right for me?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2009, 01:27 am »
    The key word is coherency.  This is the quality that the Quad's possessed.  This is the reason for your dissatisfaction with the other speakers you tried.  The Omega Speakers posses two qualities that are outstanding.  They are coherent, and they posses beautiful tone. 

Omega above all communicate the essence of the music.  I am obviously biased; I have owned several pairs of Omega Speakers.  The one quality I seek in a pair of loudspeakers is the ability to involve me emotionally.  Read the posts on this forum and you will see what strong emotions Omega Speakers evoke.  Is this not what you are looking for? 

I would suggest that you call Louis Chochos at (203) 847-2800.  A finer, more helpful person you will not find. 

Let me be the first to say, Welcome Home your journey has ended.   

Adriel

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2009, 04:01 am »
What zip code? Maybe someone can set you up with an audition.

jonsan

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2009, 01:15 pm »
Thank you for your replies. For sure it is all about the music and not the hardware reproducing it.
Anyway, I live in southern California and I would be grateful if the opportunity for an audition should it arise.

Louis O

• Facilitator
    • http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com
« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2009, 01:13 am »
Hi jonsan,

Thanks for your post and ZLS pretty much hit it with his post. Your gear is very good and I know the VAC very well. All the speakers will sound great with your system. I would be happy to help you out to narrow it down.

I was thinking of making a set as demos to send out.

Thanks again,
Louis

kcjazz

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2009, 02:34 am »
Hey Jonsan:
I had long been a Klipsch Heritage guy, and will still always own a pair, and beyond that, more a full range speaker owner. Like you I was intrigued with the simpler design yet hand built quality and pride of material and driver of the Omega. So I through caution to the wind, spoke with Louis several times and a pair of Zebrawood Super 6 Alnicos were delivered. I second all opinions of Louis; most helpful, great enthusiasm for his product and single driver design and really a super nice guy.
I am still amazed with the overall presentation this little 6 inch driver can put forth. Great tone, sparkling highs that make you forget there is NO tweeter, satisfying and startling bass for cabinet/driver size and of course the most coherent and rich mid band. As good a sound stage as I have heard with a proper combination of transpearency and drive. Without the typical audio reviewers "Hallmark Card" prose, these are just a damn enjoyable speaker to listen. 
I have had various EL34 amps but currently run a EL84 PP to great effect, a 300b that surprisingly did not do it for me and a Class A SS/tube pre combination that really is something to hear. I actually want more of this good thing and and may move quickly up the Omega line.
Hell, this hi-fi thing is all about the journey of experimenting to find "THE" sound, and while the Omegas may not be the finest speaker ever created, this stop in the journey is most satisfying. They are good. Give Lou a call.

Adriel

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2009, 03:12 am »
You are in luck because I am also in southern california. You cannot be more than several hours away I am in san diego.

Just come down here, bring your familiar music, and listen for yourself.

I have the Super 8 XRS, and 300B monoblock SETs.