Auditioning Omega speakers

blosert

Auditioning Omega speakers
« on: 7 Aug 2015, 05:09 pm »
Hi all,

I am curious about the single-driver philosophy, and about Omega in particular. I am aware of Omega's generous 30-day trial period, but, having never heard a single-driver speaker, much less Omegas specifically, buying a pair, even with the return option, is too great a leap of faith for me to take. With that said, I live in the Quad Cities, a collection of (actually five) cities on the Iowa/Illinois border (including Davenport, IA and Rock Island, IL). I am about three hours from Chicago, two and a half from Des Moines, three to four from St. Louis, and a similar distance from Madison, WI. Are there any Omega owners somewhere in this region who would be willing to arrange a time for me hear their setup?

Thanks,
Tim

sunnydaze

Re: Auditioning Omega speakers
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2015, 05:23 pm »
I don't understand.....

You'd be willing to buy them after a good audition in someone else's system / room but not your own??!   :scratch:

Makes no sense.  Unless the cost of r/t shipping is the sticking point, should they not work.  Still, it's always best to try things in your own room with your own gear.  With the return option, the upside is huge while the downside is limited to r/t shipping cost.

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2015, 05:38 pm »
Well.....I think he's looking to take a "pre-leap."
With zero single driver experience, listening to someone else's system would at least provide an idea of what single driver speakers do well.

I'm in the same boat. I was fortunate to buy a used pair of Omega 3xrs (with RS5 drivers) to get my feet wet. I sold them several months ago, as I intend to buy a pair of Omegas (possibly in a custom shop size/shape) in the finish I want.

blosert

« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2015, 07:17 pm »
I don't understand.....

You'd be willing to buy them after a good audition in someone else's system / room but not your own??!   :scratch:

Makes no sense.  Unless the cost of r/t shipping is the sticking point, should they not work.  Still, it's always best to try things in your own room with your own gear.  With the return option, the upside is huge while the downside is limited to r/t shipping cost.

A very strange reply. If I hear them in another person's system, and like them, I will feel much more comfortable about buying them, with, of course, the option of returning them within 30 days if they don't work in my system.

rebbi

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2015, 07:22 pm »
A very strange reply. If I hear them in another person's system, and like them, I will feel much more comfortable about buying them, with, of course, the option of returning them within 30 days if they don't work in my system.

I can totally understand wanting to hear them in someone else's system first. You should also call Louis and ask him if he knows of any owners in your area. He's a very agreeable fellow and I'm sure he'll be happy to help you. Good luck in finding someone near you with Omega's.

celebrat

« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2015, 08:18 pm »
I live in New Hampshire. You are more than welcome to visit :P

I do think they are worth the trip :D

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2015, 08:50 pm »
I know you want to come to Alaska!  I've got a forum member joining me in a few minutes for a listen.  Came up for his daughter's wedding (chime in if you like).  I'd love to meet more of you.

.....Peter

sebrof

« Reply #7 on: 7 Aug 2015, 09:01 pm »
I know you want to come to Alaska!  I've got a forum member joining me in a few minutes for a listen.  Came up for his daughter's wedding (chime in if you like).  I'd love to meet more of you.

.....Peter
Sorry to go off topic, but you guys can get back on track soon enough I'm sure.
I went to Alaska in October to see my nephew play hockey (Go Nanooks!). All you guys - Put "Go to Alaska" on your bucket list. Freakin' amazing!!

blosert

« Reply #8 on: 7 Aug 2015, 10:50 pm »
I would LOVE to take a trip to Alaska! Unfortunately....

New Hampshire is actually not out of the question. My brother lives in Portsmouth. I'm not sure when I'm going to have a chance to get out there to visit him next, though. If it's anytime soon, I'll send you a PM (if that's ok).

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 7 Aug 2015, 11:38 pm »
I don't understand.....

He does not want made expenses to the factory and cause bad news to Rob.

celebrat

« Reply #10 on: 8 Aug 2015, 12:10 am »
feel free to PM me. And I was sincere. Portsmouth is about 50 miles from me. Also a good excuse to visit a brother... "Hey bro I have to listen to somebody's speakers in Nashua. While I'm around I guess I'll drop in"  :wave:

hdrider

« Reply #11 on: 8 Aug 2015, 03:34 pm »
I bought my 7XRS and 8'' sub without ever hearing an Omega speaker, but after talking to a couple of poster here and on the Decware site I knew it was what I was looking for all these years. No regrets on Decware Rachael, ZP3, 7XRS's and 8'' sub all of which were never auditioned. Having been in and out of the audio business a few times in my working career, this went so far against my conditioning/thinking I am still amazed every time I turn the system on. Louis's speakers and Steve's electronics are a magical gateway for us. Read, study, ask questions and then jump into the magic. It works. Happy listening.
P.S. if someone is seriously interested in listening, I am in the Santa Cruz mountains.

MarkR7

« Reply #12 on: 9 Aug 2015, 04:32 am »
Tim, if you want to make a trip to the Chicago area, let me know.  I have a pair of the Omega Super Alnico monitors, driven by a customized Almarro A318b SET amp.  Of course you can bring your own amp / gear with you if you'd like.

It's still a work in progress, but my system is sounding pretty darn good. It would be nice to get another opinion.

Hi all,

I am curious about the single-driver philosophy, and about Omega in particular. I am aware of Omega's generous 30-day trial period, but, having never heard a single-driver speaker, much less Omegas specifically, buying a pair, even with the return option, is too great a leap of faith for me to take. With that said, I live in the Quad Cities, a collection of (actually five) cities on the Iowa/Illinois border (including Davenport, IA and Rock Island, IL). I am about three hours from Chicago, two and a half from Des Moines, three to four from St. Louis, and a similar distance from Madison, WI. Are there any Omega owners somewhere in this region who would be willing to arrange a time for me hear their setup?

Thanks,
Tim

Sense63

« Reply #13 on: 9 Aug 2015, 10:35 am »
PM sent.