Gran Turismo 5...the best driving sim yet!!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Gran Turismo 5...the best driving sim yet!!
« on: 25 Nov 2010, 02:18 pm »
I love racing games and ordered this game from Amazon and had it delivered yesterday, it takes about 45-50 minutes to install but this game is gorgeous and very, very real feeling. Many racing games, actually most if not all could never get the feel of a real car correct. GRID's vehicles always spun out easily and ended up the same way..backward, no matter how fast you were going.
 The real hoot here is because I pre-ordered I got a code to unlock a Mercedes, a nice fast Mercedes, really fast...this game is fun, flat out FUN!!!
 If you like Racing and have a PS3 you really need to get this game it is imho the best-hands down-racing game ever put out.
Have a great holidays folks...I'll be racing!!!  :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

mcgsxr

Re: Gran Turismo 5...the best driving sim yet!!
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2010, 05:10 pm »
To clarify, are the physics in the game "video game" or "simulator"?

I am a long time driving video game lover, but I like fake physics, I don't want to have to really know how to drive a car fast to do so while gaming, I just want sliding and fun!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2010, 05:20 pm »
Too bad it isn't available for the Xbox.

Gran Turismo was my absolute favorite game when I had a Playstation/Playstation 2.

George

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2010, 05:23 pm »
Its I guess you would say simulation but its absolutely fun, not like work at all. When the car slides or spins it does so when the feel is correct...follow me?? It feels like your driving a real car and going real fast, online play is a blast....

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2010, 06:52 pm »
Review:
http://www.avguide.com/article/first-drive-granturismo-5-ps3

Several people in my family are hoping for this for Christmas, including me.  :thumb:

sonicboom

« Reply #5 on: 3 Dec 2010, 07:25 pm »
Too bad it isn't available for the Xbox.  Gran Turismo was my absolute favorite game when I had a Playstation/Playstation 2.  George
  If you like realistic physics in a simulator then try GTR2 on a PC, preferably with a Momo Racing Wheel controler.  I have used both the Gran Turismo on the PS2 platform and the GT5 Prologue that came out last year for the PS3 and think the GTR2 to be better than both.  Have not yet tried the full blown version of the GT5 on the PS3 however.

Kinger

« Reply #6 on: 3 Dec 2010, 08:17 pm »
I do wish this title was available for the 360, but honestly Forza is one heck of a title in and of itself..........

ooheadsoo

« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2010, 05:24 pm »
Considering the grand scope of the game, it feels astonishingly real to me.  You have all sorts of cars to simulate, not just exotics and purpose built machines.  The only thing is that by nature, force feedback wheels are designed to impart the sensation of g-forces upon your body, not merely the steering wheel feedback, so it will never be perfect when using a wheel alone, but that's no different from any other game.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #8 on: 28 Dec 2010, 02:15 pm »
The wife (Mrs Claus) was kind enough to give my son and I each copies of GT5 and a Logitech wheel.
He'll be upstairs on the 50", and I'll be downstairs in the man cave. Nothing better than Father vs. Son.  8)

I may quit my job to stay home more.  :lol:
This game seriously IS a LOT of fun! My highest recommendation.

Bob

kip_

« Reply #9 on: 28 Dec 2010, 02:54 pm »
I just got this for Christmas. Nice graphics, but being able to ram other cars at will without even slowing down is just dumb beyond belief. The load times are also incredibly long, after an 8gb install there shouldn't be any load screens at all but they're much worse than Forza 3.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 28 Dec 2010, 03:23 pm »
Agreed on both counts.....But it's still ultra-uber-fun.  :wink:

richidoo

« Reply #11 on: 28 Dec 2010, 03:46 pm »
I only have 5 laps around Monza in McLaren F1, but it was fun. Graphics are excellent. Crashes sound like subwoofer thumps rather than metallic crash.  Looks like a happy Christmas at the BISL household!  :thumb:
Rich

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 28 Dec 2010, 04:00 pm »
Its fun isn't it!! Once they figure out how to make the menu navigation easier and more integrated which I think will happen over time it will be better and better. I hate getting ready to race only to find out you need a certain type car and then having to back all the way out of the menus to buy it, find it, remember what it was in the first place-I'm old my mind is going...LOL. But it is fun!!!!! :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 28 Dec 2010, 04:33 pm »
I only have 5 laps around Monza in McLaren F1,
In the arcade mode, go to "World Tracks" and choose Daytona. Then in the car section,  scroll all the way to the right to get the fasted car called a "Zonda".

Amazing.  :o

Now.....If I can only figure out how to turn off that horrible music.  :duh:

Bob

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 28 Dec 2010, 04:39 pm »
Loading the PS3 as I type....

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 28 Dec 2010, 04:43 pm »
 :lol: .......  :thumb:

Do you have a (force feedback) wheel?

Bob

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 28 Dec 2010, 04:51 pm »
Nope, just the controller, its still a blast...

Kinger

« Reply #17 on: 28 Dec 2010, 05:07 pm »
Wheels and pedals do add that little bit extra to the gaming fun.  Buddy of mine has a wheel and pedal set for Forza 3 that is absolutely awesome.  Initially it feels weird and you are slower, but over time you find that your times drop and you are more immersed in the game.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #18 on: 28 Dec 2010, 05:55 pm »
I think damage is earned in premium cars at level 40.

MaxCast

« Reply #19 on: 28 Dec 2010, 07:03 pm »
Got a ps3 for Christmas and this was the first game we bought.  The boys absolutely loved NFS most wanted (we got the new one of that too).  So many things we haven't explored yet but we're moving up upgrading and buying new cars.  Graphics are awesome in 1080p.  You can see the crowd talking to each other and but their arms up when you try to crash through the fence.