Happy MBOW1 Owner

cdorval1

Happy MBOW1 Owner
« on: 6 Jan 2006, 06:35 pm »
Several months ago I bought a pair of MBOW1s, thinking I would use them  in our small TV room.  They are so good (and very beautiful, naturally) they're now in our living room.  We even took them along with us on vacation--with a Van Alstine Ultimate 70 and my iBook.  So much pleasure in such a small package.

Great imaging, transparency, realism.  I thought they wouldn't have enough "punch" for our good-sized living room, but they play plenty loud enough. And what's more important, they play so beautifully.  They're on some fairly heavy Studio Tech stands.  We are using a PSB subwoofer below 55 Hz or so.

I'm a happy customer, and just wanted to share it!

jsalk

Happy MBOW1 Owner
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2006, 09:29 pm »
cdorval1 -

You are certainly right about the MBOW1's.  They are about the best small speaker I have ever heard.

Right now I am building of pair of what I think will be the most beautiful speakers I have ever done.  A client sent me a gorgeous piece of redwood burl for the front baffles and I am matching it up with some very nice madrone burl veneer I happened to have.

It is going to look so nice, I am going to give it a piano gloss finish and will probably upgrade it to a pair of CAOW1's (Dennis' newest incantation of this great design).

- Jim

Zero

Happy MBOW1 Owner
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2006, 11:24 pm »
I have more than thrice flirted with the idea of sending Jim some exotic wood for a pair of CAOW-1's. I had a chance to hear those about 6 months ago and they sounded quite good.

If I didn't already have a pair of Dynaudio Focus 110's...  I'd be all over it. I am envious though, Im sure Jims MBows look a hell of a lot better !

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: Happy MBOW1 Owner
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2006, 06:52 pm »
>I'm a happy customer, and just wanted to share it!

I'm always delighted to get feedback like that.  The M130 woofer and the 0W1 make a particularly happy combination.  Although the CA0W1 is more expensive and goes about 5 Hz lower with greater power handling, the Seas woofer is not as smooth as the M130 in the 800 - 1500 Hz region.  So for anyone planning to use a sub, and you are doing, I think the MB0W1 may be the better speaker.

cdorval1

Happy MBOW1 Owner
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2006, 07:30 pm »
Glad to give the feedback--it's richly deserved.  The MBOW1s look great and sound great in our non-acoustically-treated, normal living room.

Dennis, what would you suggest as the crossover frequency to the sub with the MBOW1s?  The subwoofer has a continuously-variable control from 50 to 150Hz.  Any suggestion or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for a great design, which adds pleasure to my life every day.

Craig Dorval

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Happy MBOW1 Owner
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2006, 10:13 pm »
[
Dennis, what would you suggest as the crossover frequency to the sub with the MBOW1s?  The subwoofer has a continuously-variable control from 50 to 150Hz. ]

First, I'm assuming you have the ports stuffed with something when using with the sub.  I would probably cross around 80 Hz.  But, of course, your ears are the best guide.  (I wouldn't go above 100 Hz to avoid localization of the bass sound source).

cdorval1

Happy MBOW1 Owner
« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2006, 11:30 pm »
Thanks for the response--I appreciate your suggestion.  

While I've read in the circle about stuffing the ports when using a sub, I've never done it.  I'll give it a try.  I did move the crossover point to 80, and my wife a few minutes later commented that Count Basie at Newport never sounded so good.  (A terrific CD, by the way--the band really clicks.)

We'll keep listening and making adjustments.  What fun!

Thanks again for your great work.  Hope you're feeling better.

Craig

cdorval1

Happy MBOW1 Owner
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2006, 08:51 pm »
Just a quick "epilogue."

I elegantly stuffed the rear ports with half a tightly-rolled t-shirt, and set the crossover to approximately 80 Hz.

After two weeks of listening, it's clear that there's much better integration between the sub and the MBOW1s.  Also, it sounds like they now have an impossibly low bottom end.  The mid-bass is MUCH smoother, and the lower midrange is clearer.  What a great tweak!  Thanks.

Craig

jackman

Happy MBOW1 Owner
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2006, 09:36 pm »
There should be a rule on the Salk circle...no one is allowed to talk about their speakers without posting at least one picture!  I look at Jim's work the same way I look at fine art in a museum...only his art makes beautiful music!

It's good to see Jim's efforts and talent being appreciated by so many.  However, I'm not surprised at all!  

Cheers!

Jack

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Happy MBOW1 Owner
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2006, 02:54 am »
Quote from: cdorval1
Just a quick "epilogue."

"I elegantly stuffed the rear ports with half a tightly-rolled t-shirt, and set the crossover to approximately 80 Hz."

t-shirts are good, although I prefer Martha Stewart crew socks.  In a pinch, Jockey mid-rise briefs will also do.  Happy to hear you're still happy with the speaks!