Sonus Faber Concerto Bookshelf SPEAKER MODS

OSIB16

Sonus Faber Concerto Bookshelf SPEAKER MODS
« on: 8 Dec 2022, 08:20 pm »
I just acquired a lovely set of bookshelf Sonus Faber Concerto MK1’s , and I’m looking for some speaker parts advice. These particular ones are from the late 1990’s, so they are around 27 years old. However the condition that they are in; is outstanding. The previous owners really looked after them, and the sound quality is very special to these ears. Doesn’t sound like I’m listening to a wooden box (very low coloration). They have definitely  got lots of potential, and the build quality is amazing.

OSIB16

Re: Sonus Faber Concerto Bookshelf SPEAKER MODS
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2022, 08:31 pm »
I wanted to fix the downward ‘DIP’ where the Mid/Woofer hands off to the Tweeter (any advice would be appreciated). However I want to keep the slight treble lift because it seems to provide a little more clarity to the upper end. Below shows a frequency chart of the Concerto. Underneath that image are photos of somebody else’s Concerto modifications (that I found on Facebook). I think that I am going to buy Sonicap Gen 1 film caps to replace the existing 27 year old capacitors in the cabinet…

77SunsetStrip

« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2022, 04:08 am »
If there are 27 year old Electrolytic caps in the crossover, they have to go.  Good poly caps, air core inductors, and quality resistors and you should be good to go. Not sure would do anything about that dip.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2022, 04:30 pm »
Shoot me an email with a wiring diagram for them and I can provide you with some higher quality parts that will slightly shift the response in the way you are wanting it to go.

OSIB16

« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2022, 02:18 am »
Shoot me an email with a wiring diagram for them and I can provide you with some higher quality parts that will slightly shift the response in the way you are wanting it to go.

I can’t find a circuit diagram for them online, so I will be unscrewing the cabinets to remove the PCB. Then I will examine it and create my own circuit diagram, then I will email the details onto you, and we can take it from there.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2022, 02:47 pm »
Sounds like a plan.

OSIB16

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2022, 10:26 pm »
Email has been sent to info@gr-research.com

Zuman

« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2022, 10:48 pm »
I've been reading more about the importance of not have closely proximate inductors oriented the same way. Would it be also beneficial to position one of them vertically if possible? Not my expertise...just asking.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2022, 11:31 pm »
This is a handy guide for how to best orient inductors. (6/7 being the ideal)
The distance guide at the top isn't a hard rule, just a recommendation.

Mexibeetle

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2024, 07:24 pm »
Any updates on this project? I also have a pair of the Concertos.