Replacing my Paradigm Studio 60 v.2s

Big Red Machine

Re: Replacing my Paradigm Studio 60 v.2s
« Reply #20 on: 3 Oct 2008, 12:14 pm »
Go ribbon.  Music genre has nothing to do with it.

Nuance

« Reply #21 on: 3 Oct 2008, 03:17 pm »
After talking to Jim and the wife, the SongTowers it will be.  I am now deciding between ribbon and dome tweeters.  I listen to mostly the alt country genre.  Nuance, do you think there is an advantage to the ribbon tweeter with this kind of music?  Kathleen Edwards is often played on my system.  I wonder what your thoughts are. 

Shawn
I also believe genre has nothing to do with it.  Anything that has frequencies above, say 4KHz (or whatever the crossover point is on the ST's), will sound better with the ribbon in my opinion.  Since all music has frequencies above 4KHz, I'd say it's a safe bet that the Country genre will also benefit from the ribbon.

I don't listen to a lot of country, but country is vocal and guitar based, and everything vocal and guitar based that I've thrown at the ST RT's sounds amazing.  If you can swing it, go for the ribbons!

"Why don't you want to wear the rrrrrribooon?" - Seinfeld (aids walk episode)   :D

That's just my $0.02

R Swerdlow

« Reply #22 on: 3 Oct 2008, 03:46 pm »
Shawn

Glad to hear that you'll be getting SongTowers.  Did you ever get to compare SongTowers and HT3s at Evan's?

I'll also add my 2¢ for the ribbon STs.  When I heard the ribbon vs. dome STs some time back, I thought the ribbons sounded a bit cleaner than the standard dome ST.  You would most likely notice that with any music that emphasizes voice or a few instruments with an otherwise quiet background.  With music full of sound, like a symphony playing at full tilt or hard rock, you might not notice the difference as easily.

If you have the budget for ribbon SongTowers, (I'm guessing you do since you were thinking of HT3s at one time) I'd say go for it.

Richard

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #23 on: 3 Oct 2008, 05:16 pm »
I also believe genre has nothing to do with it.  Anything that has frequencies above, say 4KHz (or whatever the crossover point is on the ST's), will sound better with the ribbon in my opinion.  Since all music has frequencies above 4KHz, I'd say it's a safe bet that the Country genre will also benefit from the ribbon. I

2.5 khz
« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2008, 11:03 pm by DMurphy »

sfox7076

« Reply #24 on: 3 Oct 2008, 05:44 pm »
Ok.  So ribbons it is.  FYI, Alt Country is not Country really.  Hard to explain.  As for the listening at Evans, I did not go.  I don't ahve time...  And, well, I figure the resale won't be a huge hit if for some reason I don't like them... 

Shawn

Nuance

« Reply #25 on: 3 Oct 2008, 10:20 pm »
I think you'll like them.  Enjoy!

Oh, and please post pics and impressions when you get them, here and at the AVS forum owner's thread. 

sfox7076

« Reply #26 on: 7 Oct 2008, 03:30 pm »
Placed my order last night.  SongTowers, SongCenter and Song Surround 1s in the rear.  Now to wait...  Oh yeah, I went with a medium cherry color and a ribbon tweeter in the towers.  We didn't pick a fancy veneer because it has to match the other wood in the room.  I have a really nice stereo cabinet that I want the speakers to look nice next to.

Shawn

R Swerdlow

« Reply #27 on: 7 Oct 2008, 11:33 pm »
That's great to hear.  You're gonna love them.  At least while you wait you can always listen to your Paradigms.

Nuance

« Reply #28 on: 8 Oct 2008, 12:06 am »
Placed my order last night.  SongTowers, SongCenter and Song Surround 1s in the rear.  Now to wait...  Oh yeah, I went with a medium cherry color and a ribbon tweeter in the towers.  We didn't pick a fancy veneer because it has to match the other wood in the room.  I have a really nice stereo cabinet that I want the speakers to look nice next to.

Shawn
Congrats!  I think you'll be very happy with them.

Enjoy!

tgp06

« Reply #29 on: 10 Oct 2008, 01:02 pm »
sfox7076-
Jim's "standard" veneers are a few steps above what most would consider plain or standard. Make sure you discuss your goals with him. He may be able to find some veneer that will more closely resemble what you are trying to match. I like your color choice...I'm looking at my slightly darker cherry(more to the brown side) STs as I type this. Absolutely love them. His standard gloss finish is pretty deluxe, also.

mcullinan

« Reply #30 on: 10 Oct 2008, 01:23 pm »
sfox7076-
Jim's "standard" veneers are a few steps above what most would consider plain or standard. Make sure you discuss your goals with him. He may be able to find some veneer that will more closely resemble what you are trying to match. I like your color choice...I'm looking at my slightly darker cherry(more to the brown side) STs as I type this. Absolutely love them. His standard gloss finish is pretty deluxe, also.
Yes they are some of the most beautiful Ive seen!
Mike