Pictures of my rig with Omega Speakers

uncola

Re: Pictures of my rig with Omega Speakers
« Reply #360 on: 29 Mar 2023, 10:06 am »
that burl veneer is beautiful, the black wavy lines in it match the driver cone well too

Kray

« Reply #361 on: 29 Mar 2023, 01:37 pm »
Certainly: Mind if I ask the dimensions' Weight ? and if Im not being to nosey price ?  They look sort of like the big Harbeth with that stand. Might just be pic angle etc... I am not allowed to have anything that pretty, My wallet forbids it  :cry:

The amps in the pic look very similar to Sonic Oli. Care to share that info ?  I like to live vicariously through others wallets :lol:

They are 20" tall by 11' wide by 14" deep at 35lbs each.

The SAM's start at $1995, then add extra for any customer veneer, etc. it's not a lot only a couple hundred unless you go crazy exotic. I bought the WBT binding posts and sent them to him.

As for stands... I was gonna go with the Skylans, but found an eager local woodworker wanting to get some exp. he custom made mine at 20" to size of speaker base (11w x 14d) for dirt cheap.

Yep all my amps are Oliver builds.
Top left is based on 307a, drivers are C3M, rectifier 5AR4... uses OD3 as screens so it's tetrode.

Under the 307a is an amp we brainstormed together. wanted to try something different and got the idea from Thomas Mayer blog Vinylsavor. It's a 6HJ5 (which is very similar to a 2A3) driven by 6N7 with 5R4WGB rectifier.

Next to 307a (can't see it much) is my dual chassis preamp, uses 37 or 76 tubes. power section is just 4x 12AX4's

seikosha

« Reply #362 on: 29 Mar 2023, 01:53 pm »
Have the amps been reliable?  I had a 2A3 from him a number of years ago.  It sounded great, but it blew a capacitor with a large pop and smoke right after I purchased it.  Oliver actually came out to my house and fixed it, but a few months later it did it again.  I liked the amp, but at that point, I was scared that thing would burn my house down.  Very frustrating.  He does interesting things, but I’m scared to buy anything else from him. 

joessportster

• Set & Single Driver Bliss
« Reply #363 on: 29 Mar 2023, 03:56 pm »
Cool info Kray, I have owned a couple Oliver amps they were bullet proof and sounded superb. I wish I had another SET amp now  I just landed a pair of Horning Aristotle ultimate speakers I would love to hear them with SET. It would also be great to hear my Omega Max Hemp with SET. The Canary CA330MKII sound phenomenal but are not "TRUE" SET design amps. Going to have to watch for a good 45 amp I suppose...............My wallet is already CRYING  :?

Kray

« Reply #364 on: 29 Mar 2023, 04:49 pm »
Have the amps been reliable?  I had a 2A3 from him a number of years ago.  It sounded great, but it blew a capacitor with a large pop and smoke right after I purchased it.  Oliver actually came out to my house and fixed it, but a few months later it did it again.  I liked the amp, but at that point, I was scared that thing would burn my house down.  Very frustrating.  He does interesting things, but I’m scared to buy anything else from him.

Honestly I've had about 8 Sayes pieces over last 5yrs and not had any issues at all except one with the cheaper Yamamoto 45 clone, had a little excess hum, but he fixed it...

Your issue sounds inherit to that particular amp being cursed :D for whatever reason, but nice to have him so close. I wouldn't judge all his work based on that one amp.

Kray

« Reply #365 on: 29 Mar 2023, 04:50 pm »
Cool info Kray, I have owned a couple Oliver amps they were bullet proof and sounded superb. I wish I had another SET amp now  I just landed a pair of Horning Aristotle ultimate speakers I would love to hear them with SET. It would also be great to hear my Omega Max Hemp with SET. The Canary CA330MKII sound phenomenal but are not "TRUE" SET design amps. Going to have to watch for a good 45 amp I suppose...............My wallet is already CRYING  :?

I believe at one time you had his 71a I was coveting and was to buy it but was too slow.

joessportster

• Set & Single Driver Bliss
« Reply #366 on: 30 Mar 2023, 12:06 am »
You are correct I did have his 71a with all vintage sansui iron. It was a wonderful amp that I kick myself for selling. At that time I was sure I would never have speakers effectient enough for a 3/4 WPC amp again.................."LOOK AT ME NOW MA"