Klipsch RP-600M Upgrade

et_uptown

Re: Klipsch RP-600M Upgrade
« Reply #200 on: 14 Sep 2020, 08:24 pm »
Hello AC and GR!

I'm working on my first upgrade and have a few questions regarding the crossover assembly for the 600M kit. I've looked at the crossover 101 thread and viewed Danny's youtube videos quite a bit, but am still unsure where the wire coming off the small inductor goes... I sure hope I'm not missing something obvious.

If possible, can I also get an overall sanity check on my wiring?
I'm super excited to get these soldered up and start listening to them!!

Values have been covered up : ) Any help is appreciated!

et_uptown

« Reply #201 on: 14 Sep 2020, 09:24 pm »
Ahhh ok it looks like that orange question mark is the negative return from the woofer...

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #202 on: 15 Sep 2020, 12:21 am »
Didn’t Danny send you a circuit diagram?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #203 on: 15 Sep 2020, 12:25 am »
It should shunt (connect) to the ground/negative wire leading to the negative terminal, that's how the smaller inductor works on my X-LS.

Danny Richie

« Reply #204 on: 15 Sep 2020, 01:31 pm »
Looks good.

That other leg on the small inductor will get caught by the negative leg going from the woofer negative back to the negative tube connector.

et_uptown

« Reply #205 on: 16 Sep 2020, 01:03 pm »
Thanks guys for the replies (and Danny for the call) -- I'm fully up and running after one small change to fix a mistake I made. Now time to settle in and enjoy :)

Early impressions are a better integrated, more coherent presentation. Less shouty up top. Certainly more detail across the range. And the bass is tighter and cleaner. I did heavily damp the woofer frame with the extra no-rez.

It's still Klipsch-y, but more refined, and that's exactly what I was hoping for. And all this with just the stock binding posts... I'm going to cut over to the tube connectors in a few days :)

Cheers!

hawkeyejw

« Reply #206 on: 16 Sep 2020, 05:12 pm »
Thanks for checking in to give impressions, always cool to hear what people think when they complete a build or upgrade process. Please check back in to give impressions on the tube connectors when you do that switchover as well!

MichaelBliss

« Reply #207 on: 19 Nov 2020, 10:06 pm »
Hi Danny, is this correct?  ( it's my first time with a hot glue gun and doing a circuit)

angtrumpeter

« Reply #208 on: 23 Nov 2020, 01:22 am »
About ready to pull the trigger on the mod, but a quick question.  I currently bi-wire my Klipsch RP600M's.  Should I ask for another set of tube connectors to convert my bi-wire cables?

Looking forward to this project and am thinking about documenting my novice skills in this thread or a separate thread.

Thanks

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #209 on: 23 Nov 2020, 03:24 am »
About ready to pull the trigger on the mod, but a quick question.  I currently bi-wire my Klipsch RP600M's.  Should I ask for another set of tube connectors to convert my bi-wire cables?

Looking forward to this project and am thinking about documenting my novice skills in this thread or a separate thread.

Thanks

Yes, if you still plan to bi-wire your speakers then you'll definitely want a 2nd set of tube connectors to make sure your signal quality is maintained across both woofer & tweeter circuits.

Looking forward to seeing your process of upgrading them!

angtrumpeter

« Reply #210 on: 23 Nov 2020, 02:43 pm »
Then again, I could put one set of tube connectors in and be able to compare.  I guess I could always go back in a mount the second set later after listening to the difference...

Danny Richie

« Reply #211 on: 24 Nov 2020, 03:17 pm »
Hi Danny, is this correct?  ( it's my first time with a hot glue gun and doing a circuit)

Looks good.

Danny Richie

« Reply #212 on: 24 Nov 2020, 03:18 pm »
Then again, I could put one set of tube connectors in and be able to compare.  I guess I could always go back in a mount the second set later after listening to the difference...

Yep, do that.

You typically don't gain anything from by-wiring, but depending on the cables you can make it worse. Just go with a single set of connections.

angtrumpeter

« Reply #213 on: 24 Nov 2020, 04:07 pm »
Thanks Danny, that is the advice I wanted!  I placed my order and am excited to do this.  Your videos Rock!

Yep, do that.

You typically don't gain anything from by-wiring, but depending on the cables you can make it worse. Just go with a single set of connections.

MichaelBliss

« Reply #214 on: 24 Nov 2020, 07:19 pm »
Sounds good too!  Upgrade complete.  I also stuck most of the remaining norez into the box, in front between the woofer and tweeter and any other gaps left.   And I dampened the steel thing behind the woofer using blutak, then did the back of the plastic for the tweeter, as well as around the ports for good measure.   

Listening to them now.   They sound great!  I was quite happy with them before, but I had to have the treble dialed down a bit to listen to them. Now, they sound much more balanced between low and high, and I have the bass and treble set the same on my preamp.  They definitely pack a punch in the midrange now, where before they were unspectacular in that area.  Now it feels like you're getting hit in the chest with the drums, they sound so full and lively.     They were exciting to listen to before, for the highs, but now they are exciting all around.   On top of that, they sound more clear and detailed.   Listening to a mix of music, Pink Floyd, Charles Mingus, Celeste, Christine and the Queens, Santana, Chopin, Led Zeppelin... everything sounds better.  Very happy with the results.

Now I've got the itch and want to upgrade my subwoofer.  Would the Servo Sub Kit 2 match well with these?  I've just got an onkyo subwoofer going with them now, turned down pretty low to be honest.   Would a better sub dramatically improve my music listening experience? 

MichaelBliss

« Reply #215 on: 25 Nov 2020, 02:02 am »
Listening all day to the upgraded speakers and they really do sound maybe 2 or 3 times as good as the originals.  Fantastic.  Apart from what I already mentioned, I'm noticing the silence between notes, even tiny instances of quiet, the music has more silences to it now.  When I suppose before, they were taken up by resonances.  Really glad I did the upgrade, thanks to Danny for making it all possible.   Now back to Jean Michel Jarre.  :D

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #216 on: 25 Nov 2020, 04:40 am »
Sounds good too!  Upgrade complete.  I also stuck most of the remaining norez into the box, in front between the woofer and tweeter and any other gaps left.   And I dampened the steel thing behind the woofer using blutak, then did the back of the plastic for the tweeter, as well as around the ports for good measure.   

Listening to them now.   They sound great!  I was quite happy with them before, but I had to have the treble dialed down a bit to listen to them. Now, they sound much more balanced between low and high, and I have the bass and treble set the same on my preamp.  They definitely pack a punch in the midrange now, where before they were unspectacular in that area.  Now it feels like you're getting hit in the chest with the drums, they sound so full and lively.     They were exciting to listen to before, for the highs, but now they are exciting all around.   On top of that, they sound more clear and detailed.   Listening to a mix of music, Pink Floyd, Charles Mingus, Celeste, Christine and the Queens, Santana, Chopin, Led Zeppelin... everything sounds better.  Very happy with the results.

Now I've got the itch and want to upgrade my subwoofer.  Would the Servo Sub Kit 2 match well with these?  I've just got an onkyo subwoofer going with them now, turned down pretty low to be honest.   Would a better sub dramatically improve my music listening experience? 

Would a better sub improve your listening experience?  Hell yes!  :thumb:

jhr1986

« Reply #217 on: 26 Nov 2020, 05:03 pm »
I’m sorry if this was covered in the thread but I didn’t see it here or on the website:

Am I correct in assuming that the upgrade kit is for one speaker and that I need to order two kits in order to upgrade a pair of speakers?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #218 on: 26 Nov 2020, 05:11 pm »
I’m sorry if this was covered in the thread but I didn’t see it here or on the website:

Am I correct in assuming that the upgrade kit is for one speaker and that I need to order two kits in order to upgrade a pair of speakers?

Nope, the upgrade kits are for a pair!  :thumb:

jhr1986

« Reply #219 on: 26 Nov 2020, 06:03 pm »
Nope, the upgrade kits are for a pair!  :thumb:

Even better!  Thanks for the clarification