The LIO DAC 2.0 information and discussion thread

borelek

• Best regards. serge
Re: The LIO DAC 2.0 information and discussion thread
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jul 2017, 08:43 pm »
Hi sandmanct and everyone who has the LIO DSD/PCM DAC+ (this was the special "+" version that I fitted with a super-regulated output for the microRendu for +$395).  Please email me directly about this if you are upgrading to LIO DAC 2.0.  One option is that we can apply that $395 towards a VR MINI...

I took this option two months ago .... pure bliss 

Best regards
serge

Vinnie R.

« Reply #21 on: 21 Jul 2017, 06:36 pm »
All,

It has been a very busy week, and I only have a few more LIO DAC 2.0 modules left available from this first production run
that is due to be ready to ship late August / early September.

As long as you pre-order before the end of this month, you will still receive the pre-order pricing.  But the next production run (yes, I am getting that in the works because of all your pre-orders - thank you!) won't be ready to ship probably until late September. 

And if you'd like to send me your LIO for the DAC 2.0 installation / firmware upgrade and are also interested in the silent switching (if you don't already have this), I can do it all at the same time.

Thanks again,

Vinnie

TomS

« Reply #22 on: 21 Jul 2017, 06:58 pm »
All,

It has been a very busy week, and I only have a few more LIO DAC 2.0 modules left available from this first production run
that is due to be ready to ship late August / early September.

As long as you pre-order before the end of this month, you will still receive the pre-order pricing.  But the next production run (yes, I am getting that in the works because of all your pre-orders - thank you!) won't be ready to ship probably until late September. 

And if you'd like to send me your LIO for the DAC 2.0 installation / firmware upgrade and are also interested in the silent switching (if you don't already have this), I can do it all at the same time.

Thanks again,

Vinnie
Will the LIO upgrade for sample rate display affect use with the original 1.0 DAC? In other words if I have you do the firmware upgrade, but not the 2.0 DAC just yet, will the LIO display still work as normal with the old one?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #23 on: 22 Jul 2017, 02:18 am »
Will the LIO upgrade for sample rate display affect use with the original 1.0 DAC? In other words if I have you do the firmware upgrade, but not the 2.0 DAC just yet, will the LIO display still work as normal with the old one?

Hi TomS,

Yes, the firmware update is backwards compatible with original LIO DAC 1.0.

Vinnie

flkin

« Reply #24 on: 24 Jul 2017, 05:07 am »
How do we know which batch our order is in? First or the second?

Vinnie, please don't forget to include the update chip with my order too. Thanks..

Kin

targa02

« Reply #25 on: 24 Jul 2017, 09:12 pm »
Hi Vinnie.  Will the LIO DAC 2.0 support the same bit/sampling rates via BNC as it does USB?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #26 on: 24 Jul 2017, 10:21 pm »
How do we know which batch our order is in? First or the second?

Vinnie, please don't forget to include the update chip with my order too. Thanks..

Kin

Hi Kin,

All orders place so far are part of my 1st batch.  I have a few more left from this batch!  The next batch will
ship end of September.

Yes, I made a note to include the front panel chip with updated firmware for your order.

Hi Vinnie.  Will the LIO DAC 2.0 support the same bit/sampling rates via BNC as it does USB?

Hi targa02,

No - the LIO DAC 2.0's BNC and optical inputs support up to 24/192kHz PCM.

USB supports up to 32/768kHz PCM and up to DSD512.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #27 on: 31 Jul 2017, 02:09 am »
All,

Tomorrow, July 31st is the last day of the LIO DAC 2.0 pre-order (to save $300). 

I am overwhelmed (in a good way  :wink:) by how many LIO customers are upgrading to LIO DAC 2.0 - thank you!  8)
I'm just about all sold out from this 1st production run!

UPDATES as of July 30th

- The DAC 2.0 PCBs are well into production, as are the new rear plates.  There will be a small heatsink attached to the rear
plate (as well as 10mm x 10mm heat sinks for each d/a chip) to keep temperatures under control for those who plan to upsample
into the DSD512 domain.

- I am very optimistic that the DAC 2.0 modules will begin shipping in late August, and into September.

- A new batch (2nd production run) will follow and they should be available end of September.

- I will be exhibiting at RMAF this October in two separate rooms, and each room will be running a LIO with DAC 2.0,
so hopefully those interested in LIO and DAC 2.0 will be able to make it for a good listen!  :singing:

- For those of you who are going to have a try at installing the microchip (with DAC 2.0 firmware), I am working on instructions
that will be email to you when DAC 2.0 ships.  For those of you who plan to ship your LIO to me for the DAC 2.0 installation and
firmware update, I will be contacting you when your DAC 2.0 is close to being ready - and then you can ship your LIO to me.  The installation will just take me a few days...

- When your DAC 2.0 ships, I will email the link to the Thesycon drivers (for those using Windows).

- I won't have pictures for the website until after I receive the production batch.  The website needs updating, but it's been a very busy summer and I just haven't had the time.

I'll continue to keep you all posted.

Thanks again!

Vinnie
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2017, 12:56 am by Vinnie R. »

Vinnie R.

« Reply #28 on: 8 Aug 2017, 12:58 am »

Quote from: Vinnie R.
- I will be exhibiting at RMAF this October in two separate rooms, and each room will be running a LIO with DAC 2.0,
so hopefully those interested in LIO and DAC 2.0 will be able to make it for a good listen!  :singing:

I posted more details about RMAF, here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=148336.msg1624829#msg1624829

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #29 on: 18 Aug 2017, 02:18 am »
August 17th - UPDATE TIME

We're getting close!  LIO DAC 2.0 is still on-target to begin shipping at the end of this month.  :hyper:  I'll be shipping in the "FIFO" queue (first orders in, first orders out), and my aim to to have them all ship by mid-September.  There were certainly a lot more orders than I anticipated, but all the pre-orders will ship from this first production batch (and as mentioned above, a new batch is in the works and should be ready at the end of September).

To those who want to try installing the new 40-pin DIP chip with the updated firmware for LIO DAC 2.0, I will be emailing you early next week with a PDF file containing the instructions.  Then you can review it and decide if you'd still like to give it a try, or instead schedule to send your LIO to me to update the firmware.  It is also possible that you can just send in your LIO Front Panel and I can update it (instead of having to ship your entire LIO). 

Regarding LIO MOSFET AMP 2.0

Some of you are interested in LIO MOSFET AMP 2.0 and have asked if it would be better to wait to ship your LIO when LIO MOSFET AMP 2.0 is ready.  I hope to have LIO MOSFET AMP 2.0 ready for pre-ordering sometime this Fall.  I will be posting much more detail about it next month (this is not the thread for discussing it, and I will start a new one for MOSFET AMP 2.0 next month), but I want to state upfront that MOSFET AMP 2.0 will definitely require that you ship your LIO to me for installation.  It will involve new aluminum front and side panels where each output channel will be mounted to each side panel (acting as the heat sinks),  a new module that takes up the location of MOSFET AMP 1.0, and other things that only I feel comfortable working on.  :wink:

So if you rather wait to send your LIO to me when MOSFET AMP 2.0 is ready, I can certainly update the firmware for LIO DAC 2.0 when I install MOSFET AMP 2.0.  And remember - you can still use your LIO DAC 2.0 without the latest firmware installed.  You just won't see the following sampling rates properly displayed on the front panel in the "FREQ" display mode: PCM705, PCM768, DSD256, and DSD512.  You can still confirm they are being sent to DAC 2.0 via playback software such as Roon.

If you are in no rush and you prefer, I can even install LIO DAC 2.0, update the firmware, and install LIO MOSFET AMP 2.0 all at the same time.  Everyone has different requirements, so please just email me directly about this and I'll add your request into my system and we'll go from there...

Thanks again, everyone!

Vinnie

mirekti

« Reply #30 on: 18 Aug 2017, 04:09 pm »
It is also possible that you can just send in your LIO Front Panel and I can update it (instead of having to ship your entire LIO). 

Now, this is something rather interesting.
How hard is it to get the front panel removed?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #31 on: 18 Aug 2017, 04:32 pm »
Now, this is something rather interesting.
How hard is it to get the front panel removed?

Hey mirekti,

It's just 4 socket cap screws on the front panel to remove it from the side panels, two ribbon cables to unplug on the back, and
one 5-pin cable to unplug (but you MUST take note of the orientation of the 5-pin cable so you do not reverse it when you re-install it).

It will all be outlined in my PDF instructions.  :rules:

Vinnie

tme110

« Reply #32 on: 18 Aug 2017, 07:04 pm »
Is there a decoder ring we can use to translate whatever the DAC Display shows to that the freq actually is?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #33 on: 18 Aug 2017, 08:09 pm »
Is there a decoder ring we can use to translate whatever the DAC Display shows to that the freq actually is?

Hi tme110,

No - until you have the firmware updated, it is going to display "0" for the higher sample rates (if you are in the "FREQ"
display mode on the LIO front panel). 

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #34 on: 22 Aug 2017, 09:48 pm »
Quote from: Vinnie R.
To those who want to try installing the new 40-pin DIP chip with the updated firmware for LIO DAC 2.0, I will be emailing you early next week with a PDF file containing the instructions.  Then you can review it and decide if you'd still like to give it a try, or instead schedule to send your LIO to me to update the firmware.  It is also possible that you can just send in your LIO Front Panel and I can update it (instead of having to ship your entire LIO). 

I have just sent out an email to everyone who mentioned to me that they'd like to install the 40-pin DIP instead of having me update the firmware and install the LIO DAC 2.0.

If you were one of those customers and did not receive my email, please email me directly and I'll resend.

Thank you,

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #35 on: 30 Aug 2017, 12:05 am »
UPDATE Aug 29th

YES - LIO DAC 2.0 modules will begin shipping on Friday!  :singing: :dance: :hyper:
We've been busy building and carefully testing each one of them. 

1) For those of you using Windows, the Theyscon drivers for LIO DAC 2.0 can be downloaded here:
http://www.vinnierossi.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/LIO_DAC_2_USBAudio_v4.13.0.exe.zip

Just unzip the .exe driver file titled: LIO_DAC_2_USBAudio_v4.13.0.exe

2) I hope to be able to ship out a few each day, and my goal is to have all orders in the queue shipped
out by mid-September, which is right around the corner.

3) I will also be emailing those of you who contacted me stating that you would like to send in your LIO
for DAC 2.0 installation and firmware upgrade. 

4) There are a lot of things in the works, but between now and mid-September, I will be pretty much focusing
on getting all the LIO DAC 2.0 orders shipped.  Then I need to gear up for the RMAF show.

Thanks again for all your orders and patience, and feel free to email or call me if you have any questions or concerns.

Vinnie

borelek

• Best regards. serge
« Reply #36 on: 30 Aug 2017, 09:37 am »
ho, ho, Friday is the day after tomorrow !  :bounce:

targa02

« Reply #37 on: 31 Aug 2017, 12:21 am »
Woo Hoo!!!  A new toy coming soon!

mirekti

« Reply #38 on: 31 Aug 2017, 12:52 am »

I can't wait to get mine either, hopefully HQPlayer wont fry my CPU in next few days upon receiving the DAC. :)

magnuska

« Reply #39 on: 1 Sep 2017, 12:14 pm »
Very exciting, especially for you guys who are first in line.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Regards Magnus