15" Jensen woofer replacement.

jcg0322

15" Jensen woofer replacement.
« on: 2 Apr 2008, 02:54 pm »
Greetings to all the audiophile geniuses here.

My bugle preamp w/ matching power supply are working great and the sound is incredible.
But my two 34 year old Jensen 15" woofers took a crap. I have looked on some websites for replacements
and there are lot's of choices. I would like to match the 8 screw pattern that holds them into the wood cabinet. The amp I am using is for 6-8 ohm speakers so I would prefer an 8 ohm rating. I am not sure of the original speaker rating but right now they measure 5.3 ohm.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what to buy? They don't have to be Jensen as long as they fit and don't cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks,
Jack

WGH

Re: 15" Jensen woofer replacement.
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2008, 03:16 pm »
If the voice coil is still good then re-coning would be cheaper than two new speakers.

jcg0322

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2008, 05:44 pm »
WGH, thanks for your participation. How do you know if the voice coil is still good and who does re-coning?

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2008, 06:14 pm »
I don't know how to test a voice coil other than by wiring them up and listening for a scraping sound or sniffing for something burning. Or check with a volt-ohm meter for resistance or an open circuit. Hooking up a single D battery (briefly) can test for cone movement and phase. There are a lot of reconing companies listed on Google selling both DIY kits and complete rebuilding services with testing.

By the way, what do you mean by your "woofers took a crap"?

wgh

jcg0322

« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2008, 07:00 pm »
The outside foam ring which attaches between the outer edge of the cone and then under the outer gasket has disintegrated. The cone, dome dust cover and everything else looks good.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2008, 07:56 pm »
Sounds like foam rot. My all-thumbs neighbor replaced the foam on his Cerwin Vega speakers, I figure if he could do it anyone can.
Never had to do it myself, but here is a place to get you started for $26.95/pair.
http://www.simplyspeakers.com/index.htm

You should ask about replacing the foam in Audio Central, you may get more responses.

wgh

amandarae

« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2008, 04:08 am »
For what its worth, and if you are looking for a full range speakers, Altec 604 Series have 8 or 16 ohms, have that 8 pattern hole and are 15" in diameter.  The 604-8G's can be mounted front or back of the baffle while the 604 B,C,E, and D have to be mounted at the back only (I think!).  

For new production drivers in the Altec tradition, check out Bill's site here http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/ and pay attention to the 604-8H-II.  

Disclosure:  I am an Altec 604-8G /SET/Cornet2 user.

regards,

Abe

jcg0322

« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2008, 11:29 pm »
I think wgh has the right idea. Replace the foam surrounds. I already have the old junk off, now I just need to find new ones of the right size.
Thanks wgh

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2008, 05:19 am »
Your welcome. Let us know how they turn out.

Wayne