$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

Nick77

Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #2460 on: 15 Apr 2011, 03:58 pm »
I run the SDS254 on my ob/7's too, with a Pass B1 buffer. Wonderful combo, i am using upgraded linear supply so dont have any input on battery power. I will say the unit responds well to upgrades in internal wireing and pc's.

mikeeastman

« Reply #2461 on: 18 Apr 2011, 04:54 pm »

Here is tentative layout for my SDS 254 amp and Dodd tube buffer, how is spacing and layout? Chassis will be 17"wide 10" deep and 4 1/2" high, made of wood and stone and lined with copper sheeting.  I want to upgrade as much as I can. The buffer will use platinum caps and 6H30DR tube. What type and size of wire, (was thinking about silver or silver plated copper?) what size and make of resisters  to replace gain pots, should they get soldered straight to board or to the pins? Using 12v power supply, any suggestion on caps? size and make. Any suggestion on grounding or any other upgrades? I'm new to all of this so don't assume I know anything, but I do have fairly good solder skills.

praedet

« Reply #2462 on: 18 Apr 2011, 05:16 pm »
^^^I would love to know what to upgrade the caps on the Battery power supply with.  I have the same one!

What resistors did you go with for getting rid of the pots on the amp?  I have mine paired with a Dodd Battery buff as well and would like to change them out!

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #2463 on: 18 Apr 2011, 06:22 pm »
I recommend www.homegrownaudio.com for internal wiring.  Their 22awg solid core copper and silver wire is very easy to work with and sounds great.

praedet

« Reply #2464 on: 18 Apr 2011, 08:10 pm »
^^^I am using that for signal lines, do you recommend that for power as well?  I have 16 AWG copper solid I am using for power right now...

corndog71

« Reply #2465 on: 18 Apr 2011, 08:52 pm »
^^^I am using that for signal lines, do you recommend that for power as well?  I have 16 AWG copper solid I am using for power right now...
Yeah, I meant to say the HGA stuff is for signal wiring.  16awg solid core is fine for power.  That's what I'll be using for mine as well.

jtsnead

« Reply #2466 on: 18 Apr 2011, 11:31 pm »
^^^I would love to know what to upgrade the caps on the Battery power supply with.  I have the same one!

What resistors did you go with for getting rid of the pots on the amp?  I have mine paired with a Dodd Battery buff as well and would like to change them out!

see page 113 post 2247, I used 1Kohm vishay nude resistors, just cut the
wires down and soldered resistors to the end of the wires

corndog71

« Reply #2467 on: 19 Apr 2011, 04:03 am »
I finally have all of the pieces.  Now comes the fun part! :bounce:

Thatch_Ear

« Reply #2468 on: 19 Apr 2011, 09:01 am »
I would think after all the comparison to tubes, and adding a Dodd tube buffer, don't know what that is but suspect I will be seeing Gary soon at the Lone Star Audio Fest here in Dallas that you would want to stay away from silver wire and stick with copper. Even tinned copper should be better since everyone listens to tin because of solder joints anyway. Siver does change the sound and if you are looking for a tube sound with a SS device I would think the silver a strange choice since it might reverse some of the positive things about this kit.
Of course it is your ears and wallet, so do what you want, but I think silver can make things too bright, copper is almost always mellow. I kinda doubt getting a few more electrons through are worth the price anyway. I like the old WE copper for most stuff, make cables out of the 26 guage for my tube amps and use Vampire CCOFC for signal.
That is just me though. I don't like metal dome tweeters either, unless of corse there is enough silver to make my ears bleed and thus muffle the hat pins. It just seems a bit counter intuitive to me.
What is the tube that goes in this? Russian version of the 6DJ8? I heard they are good.
                                 Thatch

corndog71

« Reply #2469 on: 19 Apr 2011, 01:42 pm »
I haven't had any problems with HGA silver wire.  I find it to be transparent but not bright.  I've used it in several tube projects to good effect.  Their copper wire is very good as well and a lot cheaper.  It's not as warm as say Monster cable but then I find those cables tend to obscure details.

I have heard too bright systems but wouldn't blame it on the cables as much as the actual components.  I've heard plenty of gear that no cable was gonna "fix".  They were either cheaply made or made very well but tuned for older folks (with natural hearing loss up top).

The caps and resistors in speaker crossovers also have a big effect on the overall sound.

mikeeastman

« Reply #2470 on: 19 Apr 2011, 04:35 pm »
Thanks to all that have responded so far very much appreciated, keep it coming, with pics if possible.

Mike

bprice2

« Reply #2471 on: 19 Apr 2011, 04:56 pm »
Speaking of wire, I'm embarrassed to say that I originally wired my kit together using what I had laying around (Radio Shack solid core copper speaker wire) and liked it so much that I haven't reinstalled it with the good stuff.  My amp is pulling duty as a bass amp crossed over at 60 Hz.  It's one of those thoughts that keeps reoccurring - would the bass sound even better, if I rewired my amp with more appropriate wire?

For bass application what type of wire would you guys recommend?

corndog71

« Reply #2472 on: 19 Apr 2011, 06:48 pm »
If you like the way it sounds then why mess with it?  Sure there is probably better quality wire out there but if you're only talking a few inches then any differences you hear will be minimal. 

What about the rest of your speaker cable?  If it isn't as good as your internal wiring then you're just taking 2 steps back.
I think of wire as seasoning.  It enhances the sound to a small degree but it won't make or break it.

srb

« Reply #2473 on: 19 Apr 2011, 06:53 pm »
What about the rest of your speaker cable?  If it isn't as good as your internal wiring then you're just taking 2 steps back.

I suppose the same could also be said about your speaker's internal wiring.

Steve

bprice2

« Reply #2474 on: 19 Apr 2011, 07:44 pm »
If you like the way it sounds then why mess with it?  Sure there is probably better quality wire out there but if you're only talking a few inches then any differences you hear will be minimal. 

I think of wire as seasoning.  It enhances the sound to a small degree but it won't make or break it.

I think you either misread my question or I did not communicate it very well. 

I'm asking what you kind folks would suggest as internal wiring for my Class D Audio amplifier, which is being used for the sole purpose of driving open baffle subs.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2475 on: 19 Apr 2011, 07:46 pm »
I think you either misread my question or I did not communicate it very well. 

I'm asking what you kind folks would suggest as internal wiring for my Class D Audio amplifier, which is being used for the sole purpose of driving open baffle subs.

http://silversonic.com/docs/products/

bprice2

« Reply #2476 on: 19 Apr 2011, 08:02 pm »
http://silversonic.com/docs/products/

Nice one...the topic of speaker cables was going to be my next question, but thought I'd ask it in a more appropriate circle.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2477 on: 19 Apr 2011, 08:24 pm »
Nice one...the topic of speaker cables was going to be my next question, but thought I'd ask it in a more appropriate circle.

They have everything.  I use their internal wiring for equipment and also all the interconnect and speaker wire.  He also has the speaker cable for inside the speakers if you want to use unshielded.  It's all available and really great stuff.

corndog71

« Reply #2478 on: 19 Apr 2011, 08:35 pm »

I suppose the same could also be said about your speaker's internal wiring.

Steve

I would agree with that. 

Say you have 6" of good wire in the amp, 10' of 16awg zip cord for speaker wires, and maybe 20" of low quality 18awg wire inside your speakers. 

That 6" won't make much of a difference.

The main misunderstanding about wire is it won't make the sound better but it can make it worse.  The "better" wire just does less damage to the signal than the cheap crap.

I'm not saying don't use the good wire.  Just don't expect miracles.

Also, I recommend Kimber Kable 4VS or 4TC for speaker cables and TCSS for internal wire (TCSS is the individual wire in 4TC).

bprice2

« Reply #2479 on: 19 Apr 2011, 08:41 pm »
They have everything.  I use their internal wiring for equipment and also all the interconnect and speaker wire.  He also has the speaker cable for inside the speakers if you want to use unshielded.  It's all available and really great stuff.

Sorry, I thought you were being facetious when I saw the the external wiring in the link you shared. I'll check out the rest of their wares. Thanks.