$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

Mitch311

Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #2360 on: 24 Jan 2011, 01:15 am »
Just to add onto my last post,

This setup is being built from scratch. All I have at the moment is an SPDIF output from the computer waiting for something to make my music live. So I'm trying to take the time to make everything as simple, effective and matching as possible. The only item I have bought is the CDA-254L kit from Class D Audio, because I managed to score the free shipping back in decemeber.  I live in Australia so $80 less for shipping was a bargain. I'm working on building a 2.1 System using very efficient speakers and sub-woofer. These will be DIY as well, and I can choose to make them 4 or 8 ohm. I am leaning towards 4 obviously for more head room. I will be doing EQ on the computer and just have to work on an effective method of getting a sub out into the system, while cutting <100Hz frequencies from the speakers. Preferably with an adjustable cross over.

Since last night I have been reading through this post and find myself getting lost again and again (I know very little about electronics, I have been teaching myself for the purpose of this build + the speaker build lol). But anyways, I'll probably be keeping the kit close to stock, instead of swapping out caps and this and that.

Sorry for ramble but sometimes context helps.

soundnoob

« Reply #2361 on: 27 Jan 2011, 03:36 pm »
I have a SDS-254 and eventually plan to add another 254 and a 258 for a 5.1 setup. Would you guys recommend getting a large transformer or changing the power supply to something like the Connex? how much power would i need?

Thanks!

Anyone?

rjyap

« Reply #2362 on: 28 Jan 2011, 11:09 pm »
I'm building 8 channel amp using 2 x SDS-258 + 2 x CDA-258. After emailing Christi from Connexelectronics, he advice me to get separate SMPS for each module. So, instead of my plan to get a 2000w SMPS to drive all 4 modules, I get 800w SMPS for Front L/R speaker, 500w SMPS for center speaker and 500w for surround and back surround speaker.

soundnoob

« Reply #2363 on: 29 Jan 2011, 02:09 am »
Thanks a ton rjyap

Mr. Oczka

• Audiophile in training
« Reply #2364 on: 30 Jan 2011, 11:53 pm »
Hey guys, I have quite possibly, a very stupid question for you...... :oops:   Well, I have been eagerly following this thread for months and have finally decided to jump in to the Class D pool to see if I can swim.  I'm very much a beginner when it comes to this, but I think I can follow the wiring diagram.  My question is this.  I received my CDA-254L a couple of days ago, but haven't had time to do anything with it.  Anyway, today was a day off and I decided to break it open and start the build.  I already had my amp box assembled with all of the speaker and rca jacks installed, so I thought I could knock this out pretty quickly.  Like a kid at Christmas, I busted open the box to check out the cool parts.  Everything made the journey through the U.S. Postal service A-OK.  I busted open the box that held the AnTek Toroidal Transformer.  It looked real cool, but was wrapped in all kinds of plastic, so I continued to unwrap it.  Well, I removed the plastic from the top and bottom, exposing the copper coils, only on the top and bottom of the coil.  The white wrap with the AnTek label is still firmly intact around coil.  At This point, I became concerned that I should not have removed the plastic. :duh:    I went back to this thread and examined other member's builds.  All still have the wrapping on the transformer.  My question for all of you.....Have I screwed up?  Have I ruined or damaged this transformer?  What should I do.  I appreciate any and all advise. :thumb:

Thanks,  Tom

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2365 on: 31 Jan 2011, 02:00 am »
Hey guys, I have quite possibly, a very stupid question for you...... :oops:   Well, I have been eagerly following this thread for months and have finally decided to jump in to the Class D pool to see if I can swim.  I'm very much a beginner when it comes to this, but I think I can follow the wiring diagram.  My question is this.  I received my CDA-254L a couple of days ago, but haven't had time to do anything with it.  Anyway, today was a day off and I decided to break it open and start the build.  I already had my amp box assembled with all of the speaker and rca jacks installed, so I thought I could knock this out pretty quickly.  Like a kid at Christmas, I busted open the box to check out the cool parts.  Everything made the journey through the U.S. Postal service A-OK.  I busted open the box that held the AnTek Toroidal Transformer.  It looked real cool, but was wrapped in all kinds of plastic, so I continued to unwrap it.  Well, I removed the plastic from the top and bottom, exposing the copper coils, only on the top and bottom of the coil.  The white wrap with the AnTek label is still firmly intact around coil.  At This point, I became concerned that I should not have removed the plastic. :duh:    I went back to this thread and examined other member's builds.  All still have the wrapping on the transformer.  My question for all of you.....Have I screwed up?  Have I ruined or damaged this transformer?  What should I do.  I appreciate any and all advise. :thumb:

Thanks,  Tom

You could try contacting the manufacturer here:

Antek contact link

He's a nice guy, and is located in NJ. I don't think you 'ruined' the transformer, but your safety now is my concern. You've got live copper wires exposed and when you switch your amp on, you need to be extremely cautious when measuring voltages. So check in with the manufacturer first with the above link.

Anand.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2366 on: 31 Jan 2011, 02:03 am »
Yes, very good advice from Anand. 

DO NOT USE THAT TRANSFORMER UNTIL YOU SPEAK WITH ANTEK. 

Feel free to post pictures too.

Mr. Oczka

• Audiophile in training
« Reply #2367 on: 31 Jan 2011, 02:30 am »
Thanks for the heads up guys.  I'm pretty good at screwing things up.  I'll give AnTek a call in the morning.  I do have lots of electrical tape! :D

Badwater

« Reply #2368 on: 2 Feb 2011, 06:57 pm »
I just finished a 2 x sds 224.  I am very pleased.  Worked the first time :green:

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #2369 on: 2 Feb 2011, 07:09 pm »
I just finished a 2 x sds 224.  I am very pleased.  Worked the first time :green:

Nice work!

What size is that case?

Badwater

« Reply #2370 on: 2 Feb 2011, 10:24 pm »
Too big!  Its 17"x17"x5.5". It's a standard ParMetal case.  Never did this before so I wanted a lot of room.  Kind of got carried away :green:

Barry_NJ

« Reply #2371 on: 2 Feb 2011, 11:55 pm »
Too big!  Its 17"x17"x5.5". It's a standard ParMetal case.  Never did this before so I wanted a lot of room.  Kind of got carried away :green:

I think I bought the same case, and my plan is to eventually fill it with two full amps, including power supplies, running in mono.
Looking at what you've done I think it'll be tight, but I think I can get it all in there.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2372 on: 3 Feb 2011, 12:00 am »
I think I bought the same case, and my plan is to eventually fill it with two full amps, including power supplies, running in mono.
Looking at what you've done I think it'll be tight, but I think I can get it all in there.

I'd say there is plenty of room.  You could even add dividers and it would work. 

Barry_NJ

« Reply #2373 on: 3 Feb 2011, 12:10 am »
I'd say there is plenty of room.  You could even add dividers and it would work. 

Two toroids too ;)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2374 on: 3 Feb 2011, 12:15 am »
Two toroids too ;)

Yep.  If I had time to model it I would but cardboard will work just fine.   :wink:

guest1632

« Reply #2375 on: 3 Feb 2011, 01:53 am »
Yep.  If I had time to model it I would but cardboard will work just fine.   :wink:

Hi all,

I've never been to sure how I ask a question without replying to someone. Anyway, was thinking of either getting two SDS224, and bridging each module or getting one SDS254. So which would sound better. Was also thinking of getting one or two MPS supplies, depending on which config I'd go with. Lastly, if I go with the bridged monos, do I hook the 110AC lines together in Parallel or Series? This way, I would only need one power cord.

Ray Bronk

jtsnead

« Reply #2376 on: 6 Feb 2011, 01:00 pm »
Hi Ray,

I would get the SDS-254 (which I did) for the $35 difference it is worth it, also comes with a 400va transfornmer which is better if you want to bridge. First I replaced the PS supply board which improved the sound, then I added another amp board and bridged them and the increase of headroom bridging the two amp boards really allowed my speakers to open up.

Next I will install the nude vishay resistors and a Felix in line conditioner,
I think a bigger transformer would help also (if anyone knows what I should use please chime in!) case is not big enough for two.

cityjim

« Reply #2377 on: 7 Feb 2011, 07:25 pm »

Class D amps have no business in any real hi-fi system. Might as well run a corded drill while you are listening.  :duh:

cityjim

mcgsxr

« Reply #2378 on: 7 Feb 2011, 07:32 pm »
Interesting post cityjim, care to share your personal experience with Class D or other digital amps that lead you to have this opinion?

I have owned many, and find them good for certain applications.

I don't currently run one in my main system, but retain a hybrid digital JVC for a high WAF living room system.

steve k

« Reply #2379 on: 7 Feb 2011, 07:50 pm »
Class D amps have no business in any real hi-fi system. Might as well run a corded drill while you are listening

Not all Class D amps are created equal. What manufacturer's have you heard? Do you prefer tubes or SS?