$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

srb

Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #1820 on: 19 Aug 2010, 06:11 pm »
I am thinking of taking the plunge on this amp. I am considering either the cda-258 or the sds-258 kit. If I want to only use the rca outs, is there any benefit to the the sds over the cda?

- The SDS has a higher input impedance and may be a better match with some preamps and volume equipped sources

- The SDS has a larger heatsink for better cooling

- The SDS amps "provide more life-like imaging and sound stage" (per Class D Audio)

- The SDS has external gain controls

- The SDS has LED headers and supplied plug in cable sets

I remember reading in one of the posts that it may be better to get the power supply separately elsewhere since it may come with larger caps? Any ides what I should be looking for if I do this and where I can source it?

I'll let those who have actually purchased other supplies chime in.

Also, If I want to try using a battery power supply, what more do I need to get?

You would need the 12VDC Switching Power Supply that will take your 12V battery input and output +/- 50VDC
http://classdaudio.com/index.php/ac-dc-power-supplies/dc-12v-car-power-supplies/12v-dc-switching-power-supply-500-watt-car-audio.html
or equivalent

Steve

Nick77

« Reply #1821 on: 19 Aug 2010, 06:29 pm »
Steve beat me to the punch..........

The SDS254 will have a very high quality low noise balanced input receiver, nice thing is that the rca user will also benefit. If you can swing it, get the super. The stock supply isn't bad, it does seem to benefit from increasing the capacitance, panasonic tsha are nice..
Im not sure if the other supply has good caps on it. ??

I am thinking of taking the plunge on this amp. I am considering either the cda-258 or the sds-258 kit. If I want to only use the rca outs, is there any benefit to the the sds over the cda?

I remember reading in one of the posts that it may be better to get the power supply separately elsewhere since it may come with larger caps? Any ides what I should be looking for if I do this and where I can source it?

Also, If I want to try using a battery power supply, what more do I need to get?

Thanks in advance for any help.

usp1

« Reply #1822 on: 19 Aug 2010, 07:06 pm »
Thanks for the almost immediate help! So the sds seems to be the way to go.  I have to decide if I want to go with the battery option now.

wushuliu

« Reply #1823 on: 19 Aug 2010, 07:18 pm »

If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can just swap out the caps in the stock supply with caps of larger value. This would be the simplest and most affordable way to upgrade the PS,
I've recently increased my PS (using the stock board) from 40k to 90k w/ TSHAs and it's a big thumbs up.

otherwise you're probably referring to the connexelectronic PS's:

http://connexelectronic.com/product_info.php/products_id/87?osCsid=o062fk0l52hb6g3p7jh89tr881

It's been a little while since I had the Connex, but in retrospect I don't think their 90k sounded as good as the 90k w/ stock board and TSHAs I have now.

my .02

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1824 on: 19 Aug 2010, 07:24 pm »
If you guys insist on changing the caps, I would ask Tom to leave the stock caps off the board and send you the board without caps.  It will make a much nicer job and less stress on the PCB.

Nick77

« Reply #1825 on: 19 Aug 2010, 07:24 pm »
If you guys insist on changing the caps, I would ask Tom to leave the stock caps off the board and send you the board without caps.  It will make a much nicer job and less stress on the PCB.

Great idea!

usp1

« Reply #1826 on: 19 Aug 2010, 07:36 pm »
This would be the simplest and most affordable way to upgrade the PS,
I've recently increased my PS (using the stock board) from 40k to 90k w/ TSHAs and it's a big thumbs up.

No experience soldering onto a PCB so this may be a challenge. In any case, how much are the upgraded caps and where would I get them?

Nick77

« Reply #1827 on: 19 Aug 2010, 07:45 pm »
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=P7492-ND

If you dont have to desolder the old ones it will be a piece of cake.

Use whatever size uf to meet your target, these will give you 60k uf.

I just have 4 of them for 40k, think i will grab 2 more though.

usp1

« Reply #1828 on: 19 Aug 2010, 08:37 pm »
So I need the 63V caps? I could only find up to 10K...is there another source for higher value caps? Might as well go for a decent amount of capacitance if it does not cost much more.

Nick77

« Reply #1829 on: 19 Aug 2010, 08:40 pm »
You have to go lower in voltage to get bigger caps. Tom told me to use a minimum of 63v, but a few other have used 50v.

wushuliu

« Reply #1830 on: 19 Aug 2010, 08:43 pm »

Yes, great idea. Thanks Jason.

hottuner

« Reply #1831 on: 19 Aug 2010, 09:08 pm »
Soldering power supply caps into a circuit board:

Not the place you want to learn how to solder IMHO, even if you do not have to remove previously installed caps. But especially if you do.

Don't put the cart before the horse :lol:

usp1

« Reply #1832 on: 19 Aug 2010, 09:10 pm »
I hear you and very likely I will get someone to help me or look over my shoulder.

hottuner

« Reply #1833 on: 19 Aug 2010, 09:16 pm »
I had been using an external DAC, the EMU0404-USB for 2 channel. It's amazing for the money. Now that we are setting up 5.1 I have installed a new Asus Essence ST Soundcard with their H6 daughter board. This gives very high quality and up to 7.1 analog output. We are using this in conjunction with JRiver MC15 as a media player. Crossover and equalization is done in MC, so we no longer need a receiver.

I'd be happy to further elaborate and suggest some forum links for this approach, but since it's OT we may want to go to another thread.

I'd be interested in hearing more about your adventures along these lines. Looked up the EMU DAC and yes it does look interesting, certainly cheap and cheerful! Amazing really if the mic and line level pre's are as good as the general comment out there. Might be a good way to rip vinyl!
Dave

hottuner

« Reply #1834 on: 19 Aug 2010, 10:14 pm »
Well I took the plunge :thumb:

Jason's case came first, the dude is fast! Reading a monster thread I guess I missed the part about the lettering being engraved :drool:  It's always nice to get more than you bargained for!

Beautiful job Jason - thanks.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #1835 on: 19 Aug 2010, 10:32 pm »
Reading a monster thread I guess I missed the part about the lettering being engraved :drool:  It's always nice to get more than you bargained for!

Can someone post a pic or two of the engraved front panel?  Thanks.

pjchappy

« Reply #1836 on: 19 Aug 2010, 11:20 pm »
Well I took the plunge :thumb:

Jason's case came first, the dude is fast! It's always nice to get more than you bargained for!

Yes, yes. . . and yes!!!

I've mentioned it before.  I have 2 of his cases.  They are pre-punched for the connectors, etc. and for ALL the different amp boards, PS and transformer.  It can even be configured for 2 amp boards and with a little tweaking, dual mono.

IMO, Jason's case is a no-brainer, especially for those not big into DIY.

Paul

hottuner

« Reply #1837 on: 20 Aug 2010, 01:39 am »
Can someone post a pic or two of the engraved front panel?  Thanks.

Only the back panel is engraved, the front panel is tastefully minimalist :eyebrows:

But the front panel is actually a frontispiece (thankyou spellcheck) that could be engraved as you wish. Come to think of it, that gives me ideas :green:

usp1

« Reply #1838 on: 20 Aug 2010, 01:45 am »
Is it necessary for the PS caps to be matched? Or can one mix and match. My thought is that one could add to the caps on the PS board by connecting a bank of paralleled caps to one of the existing caps in parallel to add more impedance with minimal soldering on the board. Would that work?

wushuliu

« Reply #1839 on: 20 Aug 2010, 03:03 am »
Is it necessary for the PS caps to be matched? Or can one mix and match. My thought is that one could add to the caps on the PS board by connecting a bank of paralleled caps to one of the existing caps in parallel to add more impedance with minimal soldering on the board. Would that work?

Not quite sure what you're suggesting, but if soldering is a put off you're probably better off going w/ the stock PS and maybe tinker down the road. The stock kit sounds terrific as it is, and I'm sure you want everything to go right the first time...