$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #1660 on: 16 Jul 2010, 07:10 pm »
Well if you're going to be in your old neighborhood shoot me a PM, and maybe we can have a listening/bs session :)

10-4

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #1661 on: 16 Jul 2010, 08:07 pm »
One of these may be interesting for use as a case as well...

stereocilia

« Reply #1662 on: 17 Jul 2010, 05:02 am »
This may be a little OT but how do you like the 1.7's? Did you upgrade from 1.6's? I'm curious because I haven't heard the 1.7's yet. Looking forward to Valin's review in TAS. Nice to hear another guy here using the Class D's with maggies.

cheers,
steve

I had the 1.6 QR when it was first introduced.  They were just too big for my hallway-sized living room I had at the time, so I sold them.  I'm very glad to have them back in all their new-and-improved glory.

steve k

« Reply #1663 on: 17 Jul 2010, 12:13 pm »

Excellent!! I have a friend who's upgrading to the 1.7's. Can't wait to hear them.

Enjoy,
steve k

soundnoob

« Reply #1664 on: 17 Jul 2010, 03:05 pm »
Guys how do these compare to the UCD180 or Ska Audio's GB150? any one who has heard any two or all three comment?

FredT300B

« Reply #1665 on: 20 Jul 2010, 10:19 pm »
Here's a picture showing how the parts can be positioned in the $50 HiFi DIY Audio amp chassis table top enclosure 20-16124 from the Antek Ebay store. http://cgi.ebay.com/HiFi-DIY-Audio-amp-chassis-table-top-enclosure-20-16124-/250666998653?cmd=ViewItem&pt=BI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools&hash=item3a5ceadb7d

I'll be installing one SDS-254 amp board as shown, but the case is large enough to accommodate two.

Erukian

« Reply #1666 on: 21 Jul 2010, 04:27 pm »
Reading this thread has my head spinning! By page 70 I literally felt like all your guys' talk about input impedance and pots for gain but not for volume control and such has me totally confused (i'm not an electrician or engineer)

What I'm hoping for is someone in layman terms to help me out. This is my first electronic 'project' other than putting together a computer, which is really plug and play.

I talked with Tom, he suggested the SDS-254 kit for my speakers. I have a brother who can help me with soldering, but I need to know what to order to make this whole kit work.

I need a fuse, a switch, and a IEC connector. I need RCA jacks and a balanced inputs (my DAC does both, which is better? Do i need both?) and speaker binding posts... anything else?

I really don't know where to go to buy these parts. I'm not worried about a case, that's easy, just drill and mount the components, that's something I can do. I'll let future Joe worry about that, I just want the essentials to get this kit working.

What I'm hoping for is some help on what are some really good value components to buy that won't limit the sound of this amp but aren't snake oil at the same time. Please, any product recommendations and links would be really helpful! I want to order all the parts I need and have them on hand so when Tom ships the SDS254 I'm ready and have a full week to demo.

Here are my speakers and how hard they are to drive, I also wanted to verify that this is the right kit with you guys. I know these amps have a 'usable' power range before they distort to hell. I'm looking for power to really handle the big musical transients without going deaf and distorting.

Thanks guys! If all goes well I hope to update you guys on my progress and i'll post pics!

-Joe

KKM

« Reply #1667 on: 22 Jul 2010, 12:45 pm »
Here's a picture showing how the parts can be positioned in the $50 HiFi DIY Audio amp chassis table top enclosure 20-16124 from the Antek Ebay store. http://cgi.ebay.com/HiFi-DIY-Audio-amp-chassis-table-top-enclosure-20-16124-/250666998653?cmd=ViewItem&pt=BI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools&hash=item3a5ceadb7d

I'll be installing one SDS-254 amp board as shown, but the case is large enough to accommodate two.

Nice, shoot us another picture when you a done.

Gopher

« Reply #1668 on: 23 Jul 2010, 03:18 am »
OK, I've actually gotten through this entire thread, though admittedly skimming some of the technical things that went over my head.  Seems like a simple enough build for me to tackle, but I am curious as to how this thing compares to other respected class d amps.

I'm particularly curious as to how the super fares against the Virtue Audio TWO.2.  I've got one on tour right now that is convincing me of the merit of digital audio and I'm considering buying the discounted loaner, but the price puts it to right about where this project plus a case would be.

My speakers are very efficent 101db and 16ohm (Zu Soul Superflys) and I would use a tube preamplifier (Eastern Electric Minimax w/ upgraded PSU)  Can anyone chime in?

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #1669 on: 23 Jul 2010, 04:46 am »
My speakers are very efficent 101db and 16ohm (Zu Soul Superflys) and I would use a tube preamplifier (Eastern Electric Minimax w/ upgraded PSU)  Can anyone chime in?

Since you have an EE Minimax, you could get a CDA series kit and save some $$.  I'd recommend the 224 or 254 amp kit.  If $$ is no problem, then spring for the SDS series which is their top of the line.  But users say the CDA amps are very good to excellent.

Anyway, with Zu speakers of 101db efficiency, any of these amps you'll have gobs of power.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #1670 on: 23 Jul 2010, 04:55 am »
Joe, you should be able to get all the help you need right here.  Tom has suggested an excellent kit, the SDS-254.  I'd recommend Digi-key and Parts Express as two places where you can pick up the parts you'll need.  You could wire it together on a board for temporary trial listening.  Ask Tom to tape the 2 common transformer wires together, they are the middle 2 blue and green wires.  Let us know what else you need.

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #1671 on: 23 Jul 2010, 02:28 pm »
My speakers are very efficient 101db and 16ohm (Zu Soul Superflys)

I built one of these Class D amps and I like it a lot; it's driving speakers that are ~84 db.  But I'd think for speakers as efficient as yours, I would instead consider one of the many low power designs out there. 

I am sure the Class D brand amps would work, but they are high power designs, so it might not be the best match of speakers to amp.  Just my two cents...

Gopher

« Reply #1672 on: 23 Jul 2010, 02:34 pm »
The power rating is irrelevant to me.  Even 50wpc would be plenty.  I'd have no problem with a lower power amp but would want the best SQ available in whatever wattage that was. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1673 on: 23 Jul 2010, 02:34 pm »
I built one of these Class D amps and I like it a lot; it's driving speakers that are ~84 db.  But I'd think for speakers as efficient as yours, I would instead consider one of the many low power designs out there. 

I am sure the Class D brand amps would work, but they are high power designs, so it might not be the best match of speakers to amp.  Just my two cents...

You could use a 2w tube if you wanted something different.  The Decware tube amps are awesome for the money and would work great.  The Class D although it has a lot of power available, it would work great as well.  You will get a different sonic signature between them but one advantage with the Class D is that you'll more then likely always have enough power for future speaker changes (which are going to happen). 

I would recommend the Super D or IR for your app and you'll be fine IMO.  They are quiet with HF speakers too. 

Gopher

« Reply #1674 on: 23 Jul 2010, 02:39 pm »
Yeah, I'd like to stay in the two digit+ power ratings but I previously used 3.5wpc on my prior Fi 2a3 monoblocks with only 95db efficiency Abbys.  Future speaker compatibility is not a consideration for me.  I had my last pair for almost six years and expect to do the same or longer with these.

I've got a Firstwatt F1 (soon to be F1j) that will be my primary amplifier--I just love the idea of an inexpensive, excellent, cool running summer amp.  Especially one I can leave on 24/7 (without going broke) so its always sounding its best.

avionic

« Reply #1675 on: 23 Jul 2010, 03:39 pm »
Hey Gopher, This may be an option for you:  http://cgi.ebay.com/TK2050-TP2050-2-100W-CLASS-T-D-TRIPATH-T-AMP-Board-/130397808636?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5c50a7fc

I have 2 of these as well as the class d audio amp and this little tk2050 sounds  incredible. All you need is a power supply and you are up and running. Check his other listings as the seller has several different versions of the amp even one with the power supply. Sorry,  I don't mean to step on this class d thread.

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #1676 on: 23 Jul 2010, 06:21 pm »
I was thinking Tripath as well. 

Gopher, you've owned some nice gear, so I'm sure you know what's what.  It just seemed to me that building an amp that makes 200+ watts to use 4 seemed like it might be a mismatch, as so many argue that it's all downhill after the first watt. 

But you know that, so I'll shut up.   :)

Gopher

« Reply #1677 on: 23 Jul 2010, 06:34 pm »
I didn't mean to come off as antagonistic or anything--just wanted to convey that I'm not thinking along those lines because I feel I NEED power, but if power is a side effect of the best SQ configuration, so be it--I don't think my Souls will argue nor will my amp be pushed.

You and avionic might be right with the tripath recommendation, I'm just trying to get a handle on how the presentations would differ with power taken out of equation. 

Lyndon

« Reply #1678 on: 23 Jul 2010, 07:36 pm »
Gopher said:
I've got a Firstwatt F1 (soon to be F1j) that will be my primary amplifier
How would you describe is the sonic signature of that amp? And what you expect out of the F1j?  I have the boards for the F3, I believe, but backed off of building it because it seemed to require a special type of preamp to run it.
Lyndon
My stereo mentor has built some of the monster diy Pass monoblocks, helped me with an AlephJ, and a Krell KSA-50clone.  Although I liked the Aleph, the difference of the Krell through my Grounded Grid preamp was simply amazing.  Back to my mentor, he built one of the Tripath amps, but is currently most happy with one of those Texas Instrument D amps, the 300W version.  It really does punch the ticket on his Dynaudio towers. :o

wushuliu

« Reply #1679 on: 23 Jul 2010, 07:52 pm »
I didn't mean to come off as antagonistic or anything--just wanted to convey that I'm not thinking along those lines because I feel I NEED power, but if power is a side effect of the best SQ configuration, so be it--I don't think my Souls will argue nor will my amp be pushed.

You and avionic might be right with the tripath recommendation, I'm just trying to get a handle on how the presentations would differ with power taken out of equation.

From my brief experience with a TK2050 amp, I'd describe what I heard as a more 'precise' musical delivery, which as I understand it is a signature of Tripath sound. The TK2050/tripath has a distinct tonality, and I know some consider the TK2050 the best-sounding Tripath chip. Very very clear, clean, great instrument separation and imaging. Ultimately, though I found that I was listening to the amp itself than to the music. But this was a modified Sure board and I did not have a good power supply like the Meanwell SMPS that people use for those. I'd wager the CDAs lean more towards a lush, 'organic' presentation, imaging is not as precise as the TK2050 that I had, but the soundstage I believe is wider.  It's been a while since I had the TK2050 though and the Virtue is a top-notch design so take this with a big grain of salt. I believe the presentation is different enough between the two that you would want to compare w/ your own ears if possible.