$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

jtsnead

Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #1240 on: 16 Apr 2010, 01:24 pm »
Thanks Jason,

I will try that when I open up the case again.
With my preamp 9:00 to 11:00 is the most I can adjust
the volume. The dynamics of the amp and other class D
amps really reveals the difference in the original recordings
level.

The sound of the amp is really suprising, very good detail
a little grainy at first but it is getting better. Anybody else
have any listening impressions of the Super D Amp

Krikor, are you using each am to power the low's and high's
of you speakers, or are you using them bridged to drive each channel
full range? Could you post some pictures of your amp interior.
I have always wondered about running two amps one side to power
the lows and highs independently. With these amps and the gain pots
could you do this w/o an outboard crossover?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1241 on: 16 Apr 2010, 01:37 pm »
Thanks Jason,

I will try that when I open up the case again.
With my preamp 9:00 to 11:00 is the most I can adjust
the volume. The dynamics of the amp and other class D
amps really reveals the difference in the original recordings
level.

The sound of the amp is really suprising, very good detail
a little grainy at first but it is getting better. Anybody else
have any listening impressions of the Super D Amp

You're welcome! 

You can biamp your speakers with these.  The fact that you have my case, it makes it really simple.  Move the tranny to the right, move the power board back add amp board.  Drill a pair of binding post holes 1/2" hole on 3/4" centers.  Add my recommended RCA that fits into the XLR hole.  Now you have a 4 ch amp! 

No active crossover needed as long as the passive / wiring in your speakers is setup properly (bi-wiring with two or three passive xovers).  Is that what you're asking?

jtsnead

« Reply #1242 on: 16 Apr 2010, 01:50 pm »
Yes, since I can get another amp board fairly reasonable.
The single transformer supplys power to the power supply
board and I guess that is why there are two sets of DC
voltage outputs, right?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1243 on: 16 Apr 2010, 02:05 pm »
Yes, since I can get another amp board fairly reasonable.
The single transformer supplys power to the power supply
board and I guess that is why there are two sets of DC
voltage outputs, right?

No.  I think the other DC outputs are lower voltage.  You can power both amps from one power board.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #1244 on: 16 Apr 2010, 02:20 pm »

Nope... not an owner.  I'm just a lurker sitting on the fence and contemplating how I might use these amps.  I'm currently selling off some older equipment to raise some funds before I jump.  I'm really curious to hear how these compare to my modded PS Audio GCC-100.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1245 on: 16 Apr 2010, 02:21 pm »
Nope... not an owner.  I'm just a lurker sitting on the fence and contemplating how I might use these amps.  I'm currently selling off some older equipment to raise some funds before I jump.  I'm really curious to hear how these compare to my modded PS Audio GCC-100.

:whip: 

:lol:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1246 on: 16 Apr 2010, 02:26 pm »
No.  I think the other DC outputs are lower voltage.  You can power both amps from one power board.

I'm pretty sure this is the transformer.  http://www.antekinc.com/details.php?p=86

I'm not at home so I can't look but almost certain.  If you look at the side of the tranny you'll see a part #.  Just make sure it matches this one.  If so, they are differenet voltages.

6SN7

« Reply #1247 on: 16 Apr 2010, 04:05 pm »
I finally completed the assembly of my first mono bloc--the box for the second one is ready to be filled.  I'm using these to power my 4 ohm Magnepan  MG12s, and although this amp is running a bit warmer than it did when it was sitting out in the open, I think it will do fine with the current array of vent holes (the floor separating the two boards is vented as well as the top and bottom lids).  If I ever upgrade to a Super D, I'll use these same boxes but put the output boards in side-ways.
Bob

bprice2

« Reply #1248 on: 16 Apr 2010, 04:20 pm »
Very nice!

srb

« Reply #1249 on: 16 Apr 2010, 04:23 pm »
Yes, since I can get another amp board fairly reasonable.  The single transformer supplys power to the power supply board and I guess that is why there are two sets of DC voltage outputs, right?

I thought jtsnead was referring to the two sets of DC output connections on the power supply board.  (Obviously the other set of wires on the transformer are AC connections).  I thought the terminal strip had two pairs of common screw connections provided for the convenience of connecting two amplifier boards?

Steve

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1250 on: 16 Apr 2010, 04:26 pm »

I thought jtsnead was referring to the two sets of DC output connections on the power supply board.  (Obviously the other set of wires on the transformer are AC connections).  I thought the terminal strip had two pairs of common screw connections provided for the convenience of connecting two amp boards?

Steve

I think you're right on the power board.

The other wires from the tranny are not AC though.  They're DC output.  See the above spec sheet that I linked to.

BTW-did you see the picture that you liked?  I rotated it 90* just for you. 

srb

« Reply #1251 on: 16 Apr 2010, 04:37 pm »
The other wires from the tranny are not AC though.  They're DC output.  See the above spec sheet that I linked to.

With a simple transformer with an AC input to the primary windings, how do you get a DC output from a secondary winding without a rectifier circuit?   ;)  I think you mean they're just lower voltage AC.

BTW-did you see the picture that you liked?  I rotated it 90* just for you.

Yes!  That would be the one on the right side, and rotated 90 degrees the other way for the left side.  Now I have to find some sources for one-off (actually two-off) 2' X 4' color printing on cloth/canvas.

Steve

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1252 on: 16 Apr 2010, 04:41 pm »

With a simple transformer with an AC input to the primary windings, how how do you get a DC output from the secondary windings without a rectifier circuit?

Yes!  That would be the one on the right side, and rotated 90 degrees the other way for the left side.  Now I have to find some sources for one-off (actually two-off) 2' X 4' color printing on cloth/canvas.

Steve

You don't!   :oops:

I thought maybe a GIK acoustic panel is what you were thinking.  They now do custom printing on the panels.  http://www.gikacoustics.com/gik_artpanel.html

steve k

« Reply #1253 on: 16 Apr 2010, 04:44 pm »
I finally completed the assembly of my first mono bloc--the box for the second one is ready to be filled.  I'm using these to power my 4 ohm Magnepan  MG12s, and although this amp is running a bit warmer than it did when it was sitting out in the open, I think it will do fine with the current array of vent holes (the floor separating the two boards is vented as well as the top and bottom lids).  If I ever upgrade to a Super D, I'll use these same boxes but put the output boards in side-ways.
Bob

Beautiful craftsmanship, Bob. So the boards mount back to back? The faceplate is clean yet interesting in the two tone metal. Switching very straight forward like ARC. The interiors are so pretty with the copper paint, they remind me of chinese lacquer work. I'd be tempted to put clear plex tops on them.  :eyebrows:

steve

pardales

« Reply #1254 on: 16 Apr 2010, 04:51 pm »

ebag4

« Reply #1255 on: 16 Apr 2010, 04:55 pm »
+1  :thumb:
+2 :D.  Nice design and execution, love the faceplate.

Best,
Ed

srb

« Reply #1256 on: 16 Apr 2010, 04:57 pm »
Bob (6NS7),

Nice work on the enclosure.  This is, of course, your artistic vision, but I wanted to throw in a comment from a second pair of eyes on one detail.

When I look at the copper subpanel with cool toggle switches, LEDs and engraved legends, i am thinking electronics.  When I look at the aluminum main panel with machined details, I am thinking electronics.

But (and I can't help myself) when I look at the chrome acorn nuts with the copper washers that mount the panel, I am thinking plumbing fixture!

Again, nice unique work!

Steve

ebag4

« Reply #1257 on: 16 Apr 2010, 05:06 pm »
But (and I can't help myself) when I look at the chrome acorn nuts with the copper washers that mount the panel, I am thinking plumbing fixture!

Steve
I think the way he mounted the faceplate gives it a cool utilitarian look, I like it!

Best,
Ed

6SN7

« Reply #1258 on: 16 Apr 2010, 06:09 pm »
Thanks for the good comments, guys.  As far as evoking thoughts of plumbing fixtures or things "electronic", I guess I can see that.  Originally I thought I would take a retro/industrial approach, with something that looked like it came out of a Matrix movie, but eventually the design evolved to this.  I might also call it the Ace Hardware/Lowe's look.  Whatever the case (so to speak), I wanted goobers on the front instead of a plain vanilla look.
Bob

srb

« Reply #1259 on: 16 Apr 2010, 06:11 pm »
Bob,

How did you do the engraved legends on the subpanel?

Steve